Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same-Sex Marriage. Please Help the Cause

Today in the United States, and even here in Massachusetts, bullying has become a common occurrence. Our kids, our friends, and even ourselves have been know to call someone “gay” or a “faggot”. But when is line crossed over from just horsing around to bullying, and even more importantly, from bullying to suicide? Apparently this is a very thin line to cross as 34,000 gay teenagers commit suicide every year. In fact 30-40% of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) members will attempt to commit suicide. You are probably sitting here reading this saying so what? How can I make a difference? Kids are going to be kids, no one is going to stop them from saying “gay” or bullying, right? And to that you are correct, but to solve the problem we must look one step further.
    Michelle Obama, the first lady, talked about how adults can address the problem of bullying if they lead by example. She said "Kids will follow our lead. They will follow our example, but we've got to set it". But currently, today in the United States, we are setting the wrong example. Only five states in the United States of America have legalized same-sex marriage (Massachusetts obviously is included in these five states). Denying same-sex partners the right to marry is in effect “bullying”. Bullying is defined as the “use of superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants”. State and Federal government is trying to intimidate same-sex partners by forcing them to be who the government wants these couples to be (straight). We cannot help our children until we help ourselves. This is why I am starting this thread; to make a difference. We can all help to allow same-sex marriage; Contact the White House, congressman, and even members of the church. Explain to them this story, and we can start a movement. Put your signature down on petitions which are in support of same-sex marriage. Lastly, register to vote so you can help bills which are in favor of same-sex marriage.

These are some great ideas. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Today in the United States, and even here in Massachusetts, bullying has become a common occurrence. Our kids, our friends, and even ourselves have been know to call someone “gay” or a “faggot”. But when is line crossed over from just horsing around to bullying, and even more importantly, from bullying to suicide? Apparently this is a very thin line to cross as 34,000 gay teenagers commit suicide every year. In fact 30-40% of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) members will attempt to commit suicide. You are probably sitting here reading this saying so what? How can I make a difference? Kids are going to be kids, no one is going to stop them from saying “gay” or bullying, right? And to that you are correct, but to solve the problem we must look one step further.
      Michelle Obama, the first lady, talked about how adults can address the problem of bullying if they lead by example. She said "Kids will follow our lead. They will follow our example, but we've got to set it". But currently, today in the United States, we are setting the wrong example. Only five states in the United States of America have legalized same-sex marriage (Massachusetts obviously is included in these five states). Denying same-sex partners the right to marry is in effect “bullying”. Bullying is defined as the “use of superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants”. State and Federal government is trying to intimidate same-sex partners by forcing them to be who the government wants these couples to be (straight). We cannot help our children until we help ourselves. This is why I am starting this thread; to make a difference. We can all help to allow same-sex marriage; Contact the White House, congressman, and even members of the church. Explain to them this story, and we can start a movement. Put your signature down on petitions which are in support of same-sex marriage. Lastly, register to vote so you can help bills which are in favor of same-sex marriage.
      Please don't change the definition of words. It's not bullying that some states have not adopted this yet. Change takes time. Think about how much this community has changed and achieved in such a short period of time. It took the African American so much longer to get to this point. There is "real" bullying that occurs to folks in this community that causes such a high rate of suicide. I can't believe that they are committing suicide because their state hasn't allowed same sex marriage. I have to believe that it is much more agregious acts then this. I only make this point because our society is constantly changing the meaning of words and now we have things like "micro-aggressions" and it diminishes the seriousness of acts that really are bad.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      Working...
      X