Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered99redbaloons View Post
    op here and yes college is the goal, not professional soccer, hence the lack of an appetite. Maybe that's ok. Most players won't go pro anyway, because of lack interest and/or lack of skill. But we should have a separate, much smaller system for those that do.
    College is not the goal. The RIGHT College is. Thats my point. Committing is not the end, it should be the beginning. As far as going pro, I am a firm believer in talent, hard work and love of the game. If going to the right school leads to all of those things combining to create a pro opportunity, Fine.

I dont think you have to identify as a pro and start mapping that out from 12 years old.We would all benefit from a system that streamed kids on the basis of talent alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered1234 View Post
      College is not the goal. The RIGHT College is. Thats my point. Committing is not the end, it should be the beginning. As far as going pro, I am a firm believer in talent, hard work and love of the game. If going to the right school leads to all of those things combining to create a pro opportunity, Fine.

I dont think you have to identify as a pro and start mapping that out from 12 years old.We would all benefit from a system that streamed kids on the basis of talent alone.
      College is the last place you want to go if you want to go pro. It's high school on steroids. There's a reason Pullisic, Pugh and others skipped college. Especially if you're male, either go aboard as soon as you can or at least get picked up by an MLS team. Real ballers get picked up by clubs abroad by age 16. Seattle just signed a 15 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered666 View Post
        College is the last place you want to go if you want to go pro. It's high school on steroids. There's a reason Pullisic, Pugh and others skipped college. Especially if you're male, either go aboard as soon as you can or at least get picked up by an MLS team. Real ballers get picked up by clubs abroad by age 16. Seattle just signed a 15 year old.
        Not true. It depends where you go. You cant mix boys and girls. Its not the same thing. Pugh has not developed at all in the pros. She does the same thing she did in HS. FSU,Duke,UCLA,Satnford,UVA are all developers who play great soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          are you kidding? thats hardly any. Of your list there are maybe 2 big time Colleges. Has U COnn won 5 games over the last 2 years !! Brown ? no. Miami...No.
          OMG these are all excellent schools, great programs with many Bachelors and advanced degrees offered on so many levels. Please stop putting down these girls (who I dont even know) about their choices , and who cares what impact they had or dont have on those teams. Bottom line is they got a great education and played a game they loved until they were 21. Then LIFE MOVES ON> get over it, I am h appy for these girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregisteredforlife View Post
            HS ball is there to keep the kids from losing their love of the game. Club ball is often destructive to the kids will to play.
            WOW, i couldn't have said this any better. You are so right. My kids loved/and loving HS soccer, yet as they got older (10th to 12th grade) they disliked club soccer more and more. leading to celebrating when club ended after grade 12 (one played in college one may or may not?). Only reason they did it was to keep in shape for HS season. All of the coaches drama, team changes, taking more and more players one, going to "showcases" adn getting 10-15 min per half, traveling the east coast (did it with one, not with the other) and paying through the nose for what? for what? I just wish it didn't get so complicated in club, I think thats why they enjoyed school so much more. Just my experience. I know some of you really LOVE your club experience, well good for you! it just wasn't good for us.

Comment

WOW, i couldn't have said this any better. You are so right. My kids loved/and loving HS soccer, yet as they got older (10th to 12th grade) they disliked club soccer more and more. leading to celebrating when club ended after grade 12 (one played in college one may or may not?). Only reason they did it was to keep in shape for HS season. All of the coaches drama, team changes, taking more and more players one, going to "showcases" adn getting 10-15 min per half, traveling the east coast (did it with one, not with the other) and paying through the nose for what? for what? I just wish it didn't get so complicated in club, I think thats why they enjoyed school so much more. Just my experience. I know some of you really LOVE your club experience, well good for you! it just wasn't good for us.
              One of mine was taken out of an entire club season due to an injury. He realized he didn't miss it that much and decided not to return. He had been on the fence about playing in college anyway. He plays on a great club team in college plus an adult league, refs for some pocket change and coaches ulittles. Still loves the game and it's still very much a part of his life.

Comment

HS or not ?

One of mine was taken out of an entire club season due to an injury. He realized he didn't miss it that much and decided not to return. He had been on the fence about playing in college anyway. He plays on a great club team in college plus an adult league, refs for some pocket change and coaches ulittles. Still loves the game and it's still very much a part of his life.
                I think it depends upon the kid

Comment

That’s perfect for your child and for others who feel the same way

The players Thst want to play in college are different

You lose a year of development by plsying hs

For the most part it’s low level training and compete and refereeing.

It’s a great social hs experience

You have to choose what the best fit for your child is

There is no
                  Blanket answer

Comment

Of course it depends on the kid...but there's also the reality that there's only so many college spots out there. A lot of kids come to the realization during HS that while they'd like to play in college, it just isn't going to happen. Or, their dreams of playing high level D1 are met with the reality that they're a mid level D3 player. Finally, as kids start to really get recruited many realize they don't want the commitment of D1 but prefer D3 (still a commitment but less). Yet they're expected at 14 years old to know all of that and give up HS without even experiencing it.

Comment

Of course it depends on the kid...but there's also the reality that there's only so many college spots out there. A lot of kids come to the realization during HS that while they'd like to play in college, it just isn't going to happen. Or, their dreams of playing high level D1 are met with the reality that they're a mid level D3 player. Finally, as kids start to really get recruited many realize they don't want the commitment of D1 but prefer D3 (still a commitment but less). Yet they're expected at 14 years old to know all of that and give up HS without even experiencing it.
                      No they are not. If your 14 year old wants to play HS , they should. If they don't know what they want to study or where they want to go to college that is normal. There
                      may be a small number of 14 year olds that may have made these mature decisions but that is atypical. Most kids at 14 do not yet have the maturity or life experience to make such a decision and that is fine. Not every 14 year old is ready to make a 17 year old decision.

Comment

HS or not ?

That’s perfect for your child and for others who feel the same way

The players Thst want to play in college are different

You lose a year of development by plsying hs

For the most part it’s low level training and compete and refereeing.

It’s a great social hs experience

You have to choose what the best fit for your child is

There is no
                        Blanket answer

You have to see what level your school district is playing at...if you are in Brentwood or St Anthonys district for example....PLAY HS!!!!!!!! if maybe you live in Miller Place...forget it.

Comment

Very difficult question. For us, our town team and therefore likely our HS team will be awful. Whether or not my D plays HS still should be her decision. I think all leagues should adhere to the same timing (within a geographical area) and not have the HS/No HS question be a deciding factor. Personally, I would rather she not bother with HS but I wouldn't tell her that. If she wants to do it that is fine. If she says it sucks and her club offers training and scrimmaging for those few months, that would be great. I will say that club is fun but as time goes on the politics, money and bullsh-t becomes hard to take.

Comment

HS or not ?

Very difficult question. For us, our town team and therefore likely our HS team will be awful. Whether or not my D plays HS still should be her decision. I think all leagues should adhere to the same timing (within a geographical area) and not have the HS/No HS question be a deciding factor. Personally, I would rather she not bother with HS but I wouldn't tell her that. If she wants to do it that is fine. If she says it sucks and her club offers training and scrimmaging for those few months, that would be great. I will say that club is fun but as time goes on the politics, money and bullsh-t becomes hard to take.
                            there is bs , politics and money in HS teams as well...trust me.

Comment

dont play high school. you will never make the pros if you play high school. duh why have fun?

Comment

Until they have better refs, no.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X