Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    May I asked who added all these new names. It would be nice if people did not add the name of a player unless it's the parent or player himself. Thanks!
    Probably wouldn't have posted them if your club hadn't posted on their websites. No worries. No one is going to call you out or embarrass you or your kid.

Comment

We're going to have to trust each other on this (but is there any evidence that anyone but folks with tremendous character are on TS?) but I'll bet you a nickel that he has a more significant impact than most other incoming freshmen, other schools included.
      I'll see you the "nickel"---you may be right, but very few freshman have much if any impact entering college men's soccer, and my bet is that he will find the level of play "more than challenging" and I say this not because he isn't a good player, because he is, but rather because the speed of foot, speed of play and physicality of play in college is so much greater than HS and/or club. We'll see next year come November if he has much impact during freshman year. If you haven't watched many D1 men's college soccer games, then you'll be in for a big surprise over the higher level it's played at than in HS or Club. Hope he has a terrific career, but don't put too much of a burden on him because it is a big transition for a freshmen (men more so than women).

Comment

I'll see you the "nickel"---you may be right, but very few freshman have much if any impact entering college men's soccer, and my bet is that he will find the level of play "more than challenging" and I say this not because he isn't a good player, because he is, but rather because the speed of foot, speed of play and physicality of play in college is so much greater than HS and/or club. We'll see next year come November if he has much impact during freshman year. If you haven't watched many D1 men's college soccer games, then you'll be in for a big surprise over the higher level it's played at than in HS or Club. Hope he has a terrific career, but don't put too much of a burden on him because it is a big transition for a freshmen (men more so than women).

Thank you for a sane reply. I've only been a fan of soccer in earnest for 5 years or so and what drew me to it was happening to see what highly skilled players can actually do with a soccer ball. I tell people who still mock the sport that they have to see it live played by truly gifted players to appreciate it. TV does not do it justice. But agression and physicality was not a problem for the player we were talking about. He seemed to thrive on it, especially going up to head the ball. My guess is that he's looking forward to bringing it to the next level. But I get what you're saying and look forward to continued learning and having a relatively close division 1 school to watch. It's always more exciting with big money on the line too.lol

Comment

Well, everybody I know on the D1 list signed letters of intent...therefore they were offered spots on these teams. Whether they play or not has nothing to do with whether or not they are walkons. I don't see how anybody could possibly know how many on this list would be walkons.
          Not the OP here, but letters of intent are signed if one is receiving scholarship money, as in soccer money, not financial aid. That still does not guarantee playing as a Freshman. As for the walk on's, the OP is probably surmising.

Comment

Not the OP here, but letters of intent are signed if one is receiving scholarship money, as in soccer money, not financial aid. That still does not guarantee playing as a Freshman. As for the walk on's, the OP is probably surmising.
            You are making my point. Scholarship money equals a spot on the team...therefore you are not a walkon.

Comment

You are making my point. Scholarship money equals a spot on the team...therefore you are not a walkon.
              It means a spot on the team your first year. And the roster will be at least 25 players, maybe as high as 30.

After frosh year - no guarantee for a spot on the team

Comment

It means a spot on the team your first year. And the roster will be at least 25 players, maybe as high as 30.

After frosh year - no guarantee for a spot on the team
                Yes, I know that, but we are talking about a list of kids and whether or not they are walking on to a team. That is all. Not whether or not they will play or continue to be on the team.

Comment

Yes, I know that, but we are talking about a list of kids and whether or not they are walking on to a team. That is all. Not whether or not they will play or continue to be on the team.
                  which is why they all better be ready from day 1 of pre-season to make an impression because the college coach is going to play his best players regardless of class or scholarship $$ and if you are not ready early on you may never see the light of day. If you don't make a meaningful impression and get some playing time as a frosh you are swimming against the tide because next years "hot shot" freshman class will be coming in and no one's roster spot is safe after freshman year. you have to be ready when your chance comes because you may not get a second opportunity. I'm sure all of these players know the drill and assume they know what they are in for, but it will still be quite an adjustment to the college game. Hope they all do well.

Comment

Wise words, but don't assume they all know the drill. Show up not fit -doomed. It happens.

Comment

I see some of the coaches take in 8-12 players per year.. so its just one big long tryout from day one. I think there are better things to do with your time in college.

Comment

I see some of the coaches take in 8-12 players per year.. so its just one big long tryout from day one. I think there are better things to do with your time in college.
                        The same could be said for your life and making such comments on this website.

Comment

Yup just like real life...we're all on one day contracts. If you don't like competition then don't attempt college athletics. However, if you are a competitor and you love your sport then playing college athletics can be very rewarding whether you are a starter or reserve and whether it's D1, D2 or D3.

Comment

2014 Commit

David Price-Bolts-High Point

Already several 2014's announced and probably more we don't know about. Will wait to the fall for them.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;955380]David Price-Bolts-High Point

They already have the freshman of the year keeper at HP. Oh well!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;955395]
                                David Price-Bolts-High Point

They already have the freshman of the year keeper at HP. Oh well!
                                Too bad you are not a class act, but oh well!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X