Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience with rough riders

Just wanted to see what people thought of the rough rider pre academy program. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just wanted to see what people thought of the rough rider pre academy program. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    The program use to be very good. Then it was good. Now it is just OK. It depends on the level of your kid. If they are from a town team then RR may be worth it. They take just about any kid these days. Use to be selective, but there are so many options now that they don’t get the better kids any longer.

Comment

SUSA is a better option

Comment

SUSA is a better option
        Please elaborate on how SUSA develops players, IMO you are better off getting a small group of players (about 3) together and have a recognized private trainer. There are many trainers in LI but only a few that can help develop your child. RR has better trainers than SUSA.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. We looked into Susa. My son is 2008 and still wants to play with his friends on his town team. SUSA said it wouldn’t be possible to do both. The rough riders will let him continue to play for his town team.

Comment

do you know How many tournaments and league does rough rider pre academy program have though the year?

Comment

Rough Riders

Hi, my son did it 2 years ago and it was convenient on a Sunday afternoon so I could take him, but clearly not a priority for the kids/parents. We had many weeks when a lot of kids didn't show up. I liked the trainer, but it wasn't the best. We didn't play any tournaments until the spring and then I think we played 3 or so, They try to get in at least 2 tournaments per kid. Don't expect to win a game though as they don't really practice as a team would so each of the kids get better individually but not as a team. I think it was worthwhile though - as my son got more touches on the ball and I used the time to talk to other parents ... networking and finding out what they were doing ... I suggest talking to the other parents as it is quite hard to navigate Long Island Soccer and what is the best fit for your child.

Comment

Hi, my son did it 2 years ago and it was convenient on a Sunday afternoon so I could take him, but clearly not a priority for the kids/parents. We had many weeks when a lot of kids didn't show up. I liked the trainer, but it wasn't the best. We didn't play any tournaments until the spring and then I think we played 3 or so, They try to get in at least 2 tournaments per kid. Don't expect to win a game though as they don't really practice as a team would so each of the kids get better individually but not as a team. I think it was worthwhile though - as my son got more touches on the ball and I used the time to talk to other parents ... networking and finding out what they were doing ... I suggest talking to the other parents as it is quite hard to navigate Long Island Soccer and what is the best fit for your child.
                HI thank you for the info!

Comment

HI thank you for the info!
                  I would recommend clinics. Stay away from full select program. You can do clinics which are seasonal. If you like it, then you can have another go at it.

Bigger clubs like EMSC, Albertson or Susa will also have clinics throughout the year. What’s good about it is you can see if your kid may be a good fit for that program down the road. It’s all about the training and what you kid wants out of the sport.

Comment

I would recommend clinics. Stay away from full select program. You can do clinics which are seasonal. If you like it, then you can have another go at it.

Bigger clubs like EMSC, Albertson or Susa will also have clinics throughout the year. What’s good about it is you can see if your kid may be a good fit for that program down the road. It’s all about the training and what you kid wants out of the sport.

The Rough Riders are great. They are the nicest guys around, and very good trainers. The management is always willing to accommodate and help with whatever you need.

My son had a very good time and made lots of friends. They learned good soccer. Precursor to NYCFC DA is a plus.

Comment

Please elaborate on how SUSA develops players, IMO you are better off getting a small group of players (about 3) together and have a recognized private trainer. There are many trainers in LI but only a few that can help develop your child. RR has better trainers than SUSA.
                      Agreed, most of SUSA's development is done at the expense of other clubs that they rip players from and then claim as there own. Coaches do not need to do much work with kids they have as they know the next best thing is just around the corner.

Comment

The Rough Riders are great. They are the nicest guys around, and very good trainers. The management is always willing to accommodate and help with whatever you need.

My son had a very good time and made lots of friends. They learned good soccer. Precursor to NYCFC DA is a plus.
                        We did there winter select last year and I thought the training was awesomeb. The coaches played everyone equally and my son really improved

Comment

First of all, I have no skin in the game anymore. My kids have aged out of the RR program. Both of my son and daughter have participated in the RR program for years. I found the coaches engaging and my kids learned a lot. I credit the extra training in helping them improve faster, and learn more of the technical skills that is crucial in their development. Even though we were in a good club, he extra training made a difference. As they got older and other training programs like Red Bulls, ODP, and PDP became an option, more kids then spread in different directions and the quality wasn't as high.

I would completely recommend the program. You can then evaluate if you see a benefit in your child, which is what counts.

Comment

Nothing but good things to say about lirr.
                            Until about 13-14
                            Great trainers...

Comment

Nothing but good things to say about lirr.
                              Until about 13-14
                              Great trainers...
                              What happened at age 13-14??

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X