Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey look a supermom with access to google. You are so smart mommy. please educate us on how best to play. Good gawd!
    Dear 'Possession guy':

You should quit when you're behind. You are getting throttled in this argument. We understand that you have heard the word 'possession' and you want to sound smart. We also understand that your DD's team is losing games to better athletes and better teams. And your own DD is slow. Unfortunately for you, soccer is a game of speed. Very few people are successful at a high level if they are slow.

Please. For you own sake. Stop. You sound like an idiot.

Sincerely,

Everyone else on Talking Soccer

Comment

Dear PsychoMom,

Thanks for making my point for me.

Sincerely,

Everyone else with a life.

Comment

This is example A of what the problem is. No one is saying that she shouldn't be up there but your simple mind thinks that all the US should do is play it long to her. Ever wonder why the US changed coaches? It is exactly because the previous coach was only doing that and other more technical countries were quickly closing the gap.

I think you should make a sign saying, "Boot it to Alex" and go to the next game and show it proudly...
        You are a complete moron.

Comment

How does allowing a team to use a couple fast forwards to always play boot ball (which is direct play) helpful to developing the rest of team players? This kind of moronic idea stems from short-sighted, spoiled, parents who are focused on wins, wins only to sooth their twisted egos so they might strut proudly on the way back to to their car post-game. This is exactly why the US is so very far behind in many things, especially soccer. Immediate gratification (wins) traded for long-term success (learning the game) drives these choices in club and rec soccer. One style of play (possession) takes patience and strategic thinking the other caters to emotionally immature children pretending to be sports educated soccer moms. You see mommy wants a win, so Coach better deliver.

These parents really just want to post / share a pic of their DD, sporting a medal from their latest boot ball win onto Facebook, and are more interested in filling out their latest scrapbook, than actually dreaming of their kids learning the beautiful game. The "Soccer Mom", ignorant of the game, drivin by boredom and ego, more intertested in bragging to the neighbor about their young kids meaningless weekend success, are the single worst thing to occur in US soccer. Tell Mom to shut up, stay home, away from the pitch, find a new hobby (kids sports are not an adult hobby) and stop ruining this game with your cursory knowledge of Soccer. Go back to school, volunteer at a homeless shelter, or just take up drinking during the day, but stay out of this game please.
          You left off your signature.

Sincerely,
          The father of a fat slow girl who wishes she could play forward

Comment

You left off your signature.

Sincerely,
            The father of a fat slow girl who wishes she could play forward
            Fat jokes now...so funny. Soccer Moms are priceless. I loved you in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gETP...e_gdata_player

Comment

Sounds to be like your darling soccer star may be slow. Maybe you should consider volleyball or golf. This game doesn't suit everyone's abilities
              Hitting the nail on the head.

Comment

Sounds to be like your darling soccer star may be slow. Maybe you should consider volleyball or golf. This game doesn't suit everyone's abilities
                All I want is them to change the rules so that there must be four passes before a goal is allowed. That way, a girl who is un-athletic but a great finisher can have a chance up top.

Comment

All I want is them to change the rules so that there must be four passes before a goal is allowed. That way, a girl who is un-athletic but a great finisher can have a chance up top.
                  Love it. I'm all for development, but this is what I see quite often - Possession, possession, possession 95% of the game. No or limited scoring. Move the fast girl up top, boot it to her, and score. If the goal is to win (e.g., HS), then I could really care less. It doesn't have to look pretty. If the goal is to develop (e.g., up to U16), it's a different story.

Isn't the US women's team winning? If your (original poster's) desire is to win "more beautifully," you're a bit delusional.

Comment

If your kid is under the age of 18, my advice after 25 years in this business:

Play soccer (kids) to:

1. Have fun.

2. Learn important life skills such as hard work & discipline.

3. Develop life long friendships. Two of my kids are in college now. One is playing soccer, the other isn't. Both of them have very close friendships with kids they played soccer with. We had parents with both of my kids that were very active in organizing activities and birthday parties and bbq's..etc.

(side note: ironically, my daughter who was superior technically in every aspect didn't get any offers of assistance. My daughter who is a little lightning bolt, but not as skilled, is going to a very nice school that I never could have afforded..go figure).

4. Be active and develop habits of being active. Gets kids out of the house and running and off the TV, video games..etc.

Ignore the purists that talk about how bad it is to play a certain style or want you to sacrifice winning now for some perceived pie in the sky. It doesn't matter. If they lose a bunch of games, I don't know about your kid, but I know my kids wouldn't have been as interested in playing.

Have balance. Remember that is it a very, very small percentage of the girls playing that will go on to play at a higher level. And what do you know, at the higher levels they don't always play possession, slow build soccer. Go watch some college games and you will see. Heck, watch the UEFA Champions League and you will see that the majority of the goals are scored on fast counter attacks.

Remember, ignore the trolls and have fun. Take a lot of photos. They are priceless in years to come.

Comment

Play soccer (kids) to:

1. Have fun.

3. Develop life long friendships. Two of my kids are in college now. One is playing soccer, the other isn't. Both of them have very close friendships with kids they played soccer with. We had parents with both of my kids that were very active in organizing activities and birthday parties and bbq's..etc.

(side note: ironically, my daughter who was superior technically in every aspect didn't get any offers of assistance. My daughter who is a little lightning bolt, but not as skilled, is going to a very nice school that I never could have afforded..go figure).

4. Be active and develop habits of being active. Gets kids out of the house and running and off the TV, video games..etc.

Ignore the purists that talk about how bad it is to play a certain style or want you to sacrifice winning now for some perceived pie in the sky. It doesn't matter. If they lose a bunch of games, I don't know about your kid, but I know my kids wouldn't have been as interested in playing.

Have balance. Remember that is it a very, very small percentage of the girls playing that will go on to play at a higher level. And what do you know, at the higher levels they don't always play possession, slow build soccer. Go watch some college games and you will see. Heck, watch the UEFA Champions League and you will see that the majority of the goals are scored on fast counter attacks.

Remember, ignore the trolls and have fun. Take a lot of photos. They are priceless in years to come.
                      http://blog.3four3.com/2013/09/16/so...3+%283four3%29

Comment

You are a complete moron.
                        I am eager to hear your reasoning...

Comment

Play soccer (kids) to:

1. Have fun.

For the most part I agree with this. Most people who are overly concerned with development, I like to ask: why? Is that what your kid wants? To lose now so that they can be better in the future? For me, it's not about what the parents want, it's about what's best for the kids in the big picture. Of course, my daughter might have a great run of 5 years of playing, winning and having fun and at year six might lose badly to your kids who have been "developing". Who cares as long as my kid has a great experience along the way.

Comment

Play soccer (kids) to:

1. Have fun.

http://blog.3four3.com/2013/09/16/so...3+%283four3%29

You can spare us the I've been around since the stone ages and I'm so wise stuff. While some college teams play more direct than others, none of them play kick ball. And it's precisely the fact that these times are priceless that I'd like to see a better experience.

Your grandpa good old days comments are all great and mom and apple pie and stuff, the kind of thing that people can't argue against like baby bunny rabbits are cute, but which team in this video do you think is having more fun playing. What experience would your kid rather have. What would you rather watch as a parent. Do you think your speed demon would have been better prepared if she played for the team featured in the first half of the video or the team in the second half. It's not about being a purist, it's about the desire to move beyond kick ball, and

1) have MORE fun than a kick ball team
                            2) learn MORE about life skills than a kick ball team, like sticking to a discipline, learning to problem solve, building a skill, working as a team
                            3) developing friendships that are even stronger because 1 and 2 above were so much better than a kick ball team
                            4 getting out of the house because you love to play because 1, 2, and 3 above are so much better than on a kick ball team

Comment

For the most part I agree with this. Most people who are overly concerned with development, I like to ask: why? Is that what your kid wants? To lose now so that they can be better in the future? For me, it's not about what the parents want, it's about what's best for the kids in the big picture. Of course, my daughter might have a great run of 5 years of playing, winning and having fun and at year six might lose badly to your kids who have been "developing". Who cares as long as my kid has a great experience along the way.
                              It is a grand assumption and myth that quality development means you lose. What my kid wants first and foremost is to have fun and a good experience. I just happen to believe that if she is taught well by good teachers and mentors, her soccer experience will be more fun, just like her academic experience would be, her dance team experience would be, etc... Doesn't mean she wants to be or ever will come close to being Mia Hamm, it's just that learning and developing is more fun than just whacking a soccer ball and listening to a coach yell kick it harder and run faster all week long.

Comment

I am eager to hear your reasoning...
                                We already have multiple threads discussing possession soccer with multiple people bashing how we play here in Oregon. But in your brilliance, we needed another thread to discuss this topic ad infinitum. If you are so brilliant with soccer, then you should coach. Think of all the good you would be doing the state of Oregon. It doesn't take much to get an E license. A little bit of money, a little time and you will be out there saving the Oregon youth. And you don't need more than a E license since you clearly know how to coach already. The E license is just something to get you in the door to some club.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X