Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    MN club left on their own. Girls have done well in the ECNL and now they have both clubs in the same league. Other clubs soon to follow. The GDA was finished last year. The buzzards are now circling around the BDA. It was always going to end this way. USSF were the only ones that didn’t realize it.
    Finally someone hits the nail on the head on TS.

Amen

Comment

MN club left on their own. Girls have done well in the ECNL and now they have both clubs in the same league. Other clubs soon to follow. The GDA was finished last year. The buzzards are now circling around the BDA. It was always going to end this way. USSF were the only ones that didn’t realize it.
      GDA for sure. BDA still has life left in it but if MLS clubs pull out that's going to be tough to combat.

Comment

GDA for sure. BDA still has life left in it but if MLS clubs pull out that's going to be tough to combat.
        The writing is on the wall, no? Only a matter of time.

Comment

The writing is on the wall, no? Only a matter of time.
          Unless MLS clubs are trying to use the pullout threat to get what they want? Certainly from a financial perspective it makes little sense for them and I can see why they are pushing back. Imagine if the the NFL clubs were told they now had to train youth players. Sure they could better afford it BUT they wouldn't want it? No way. Their advantage (and the NBA) is they use college programs as their farm team system. College soccer is mostly high school soccer on steroids. The NFL and NBA also aren't competing internationally. In soccer kids commit to pro around the age of 16. Playing DA until 18 and then college soccer won't develop top soccer players.

Comment

Unless MLS clubs are trying to use the pullout threat to get what they want? Certainly from a financial perspective it makes little sense for them and I can see why they are pushing back. Imagine if the the NFL clubs were told they now had to train youth players. Sure they could better afford it BUT they wouldn't want it? No way. Their advantage (and the NBA) is they use college programs as their farm team system. College soccer is mostly high school soccer on steroids. The NFL and NBA also aren't competing internationally. In soccer kids commit to pro around the age of 16. Playing DA until 18 and then college soccer won't develop top soccer players.
            They will only get a little but still have a lot of hassle ... if they pull out they get everything they want and all of the stuff that they didn't even think of yet.

Comment

I hear the whole "MLS teams will get out" of BDA, but where will they go? I just don't see that as a realistic endgame -- way too much travel to play among themselves for parents & kids already stretched (see Adams, Tyler). And when you look at the top half DA teams, the gap between MLS and non-MLS performance closes notably.

I think MLS teams are using the cudgel as a way to (a) get USSF to drop bottom half sides (see MTA) or at least bottom quartile, (b) gain more flexibility in their scheduling (more off days & freedom for international travel), and (c) drop U12 academy.

Comment

I hear the whole "MLS teams will get out" of BDA, but where will they go? I just don't see that as a realistic endgame -- way too much travel to play among themselves for parents & kids already stretched (see Adams, Tyler). And when you look at the top half DA teams, the gap between MLS and non-MLS performance closes notably.

I think MLS teams are using the cudgel as a way to (a) get USSF to drop bottom half sides (see MTA) or at least bottom quartile, (b) gain more flexibility in their scheduling (more off days & freedom for international travel), and (c) drop U12 academy.
                They will play each other and whomever they want, when they want .... they can play up a year, 2, or three against other premier teams, play in europe or south america ..... that's the point, they dont need USSF to build a schedule of same-year opponents that they can kick their *****es. No one to check with anymore.

Comment

They will play each other and whomever they want, when they want .... they can play up a year, 2, or three against other premier teams, play in europe or south america ..... that's the point, they dont need USSF to build a schedule of same-year opponents that they can kick their *****es. No one to check with anymore.
                  they can already have players play up - there's no restriction on that.

so if you're RBNY or NYCFC or even Revs, there are 5 MLS teams in the NE/mid-atlantic (or 6 if you include Montreal). It's nearly 500 miles from DC to Boston. That just doesn't seem like a "league". At least not one that most parents want to subject 13 y.o. to.

Also, if DA disappears, all the non-MLS teams will join EDP, ECNL, NPL, etc. - I'm sure many carry premier teams there already - so their schedules will be filled by those games. I'm sure there will be free weeks, but those are usually only a handful.

Finally, in the big picture, MLS teams are far and away better than non-MLS teams. However, at the upper end, the gap narrows. For example:

In U16/17, 19 of 32 playoff spots are occupied by non-MLS teams.
                  In U18/19, 17 of 32 playoff spots are occupied by non-MLS teams.

Comment

so if you're RBNY or NYCFC or even Revs, there are 5 MLS teams in the NE/mid-atlantic (or 6 if you include Montreal). It's nearly 500 miles from DC to Boston. That just doesn't seem like a "league". At least not one that most parents want to subject 13 y.o. to.

Also, if DA disappears, all the non-MLS teams will join EDP, ECNL, NPL, etc. - I'm sure many carry premier teams there already - so their schedules will be filled by those games. I'm sure there will be free weeks, but those are usually only a handful.

Finally, in the big picture, MLS teams are far and away better than non-MLS teams. However, at the upper end, the gap narrows. For example:

They play so many kids up now because so many of the teams are so bad .... this should stabilize that and add more parity to the league ... another point. If they play a more limited DAP league schedule now they have freedom to find strong outside opponents and play then whenever they want.

Comment

That’s one way to look at it... another would be this:

In U18/19 - only 4 MLS teams are not currently occupying playoff spots
                      In U16/17 - only 7 MLS teams are not currently occupying playoff spots

Comment

Pro clubs would drop the younger teams and scale way back on the total number they're training.

Comment

Pro clubs would drop the younger teams and scale way back on the total number they're training.
                          There is no need to develop talent. There is a draft. Even from an economic perspective, how many MLS prospects have been “sold?” A handful? It’s a waste of time as the truly talented kids are in Europe before they sign their first contract.

Comment

There is no need to develop talent. There is a draft. Even from an economic perspective, how many MLS prospects have been “sold?” A handful? It’s a waste of time as the truly talented kids are in Europe before they sign their first contract.
                            There certainly are some clubs that would prefer to get out of youth development altogether. They don't have the resources or inclination, and as you said the profit isn't there.

Comment

There certainly are some clubs that would prefer to get out of youth development altogether. They don't have the resources or inclination, and as you said the profit isn't there.
                              Agreed. I think the “This is how the world does it” is wearing off as clubs realize there is nothing resembling the world’s clubs in the organization of MLS or American soccer.

Comment

That’s one way to look at it... another would be this:

In U18/19 - only 4 MLS teams are not currently occupying playoff spots
                                In U16/17 - only 7 MLS teams are not currently occupying playoff spots
                                So...

U16/17 19 non MLS teams and 13 MLS teams occupy playoff spots

U18/19 17 non-MLS teams and 15 MLS teams occupy playoff spots

Looks pretty even to me.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X