Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You should get her to some practices with a couple of target clubs. See how she fits vs. kids already playing for those teams.
    Definitely the best route, and if she wants to pursue college it needs to happen now, not a year from now. Make sure to do your homework about the coaching (asking parents who are around at practices is a good place to start, ask around to find parents at the club who will give you the inside scoop) and what you're in for in terms of costs, travel etc.

Comment

Move to Rockland county, and get her on the NYCFC GDA 04 team...

Comment

If you are going to move for soccer, go to California

Comment

Go from LI soccer to GDA? Yeah, that will happen. Baby steps.

Another thing to remember is that by U14 many of the better players have left local soccer. That makes it easier for whoever is left to stand out., big fish/small pond thing.

Comment

Hello Listmates:

I was wondering if someone could advise on the difference between NCL and ECNL. My kid curently plays in LIJSL premier and some friends have told me that if my kid wants to get more serious, she should consider NCL on Long Island and not ECNL or DA which require alot more travel.

What is the commtment?

Which teams are recommended?

Thank you for your advice.
            You have nothing to lose by going to the tryouts for either ECNL or DA. Tryouts should be posted soon for clubs. Register and see what happens.

Comment

Based on a similar experience, I will give you this advice: go to any tryouts she wants to go to, but keep expectations low. And remember that at this age level the rosters are large - don’t confuse a successful tryout to mean likely playing time. It’s easier than you think to make a team to be the 18th girl, but harder than you imagine to be the parent of an 18th girl who works her butt off and plays 10 minutes a game if she’s lucky.

The step-up at this age from LIJSL to a good NYCSL team is bigger than you realize - LIJSL to NPL/ECNL/GDA is a galactically large step-up. The pace of play makes it a different game. Also. By this age players are expected to be able to play in a system - does her current team have good coaching and play in system?

Good ball control vs. LIJSL defenders is not meaningful feedback.

Just tread carefully. She is running out of youth soccer years, so a wasted year at the wrong level is extra painful.

Comment

You have nothing to lose by going to the tryouts for either ECNL or DA. Tryouts should be posted soon for clubs. Register and see what happens.
                You definitely won’t have anything to lose. This is true. But, keep in mind that during tryouts, as a new player, you have very limited time on the ball to impress coaches. Obviously, if you are outstanding, they will know right away. But, if you blend in you will have to be better then what they already have. This can be hard to showcase during tryouts. That is why it is always better to be with these clubs at younger ages. The coaches will already know what they have, as opposed to taking a chance on someone new. You never know what you are getting with a new player, as far as how they will fit in, can they handle the schedule, the parents, etc. These are definitely important factors that often work against a new kid.

But, to see where your daughter fits, I would definitely give it a shot. If she wants to play HS, then go to a ECNL tryout. If HS doesn’t matter, go to either DA or ECNL.

Comment

I am not sure it is better to be at the da/ecnl clubs at young ages. I think it depends on the club because they are always looking for "newer, shinier, better" and sometimes quality kids get bumped by newbies who offer very little.

Comment

I am not sure it is better to be at the da/ecnl clubs at young ages. I think it depends on the club because they are always looking for "newer, shinier, better" and sometimes quality kids get bumped by newbies who offer very little.
                    I think it is definitely an advantage. With that said, kids who are really good most of the time will want to go where the best opportunities are. This is a very competetive environment. If you don’t keep improving, you can certainly be replaced.

On the boys side, talk to anyone who plays at NYCFC or RedBulls. One dad told me it seems like every training there is a new kid there that they are taking a look at. Girls side, not quite like that, but still very competitive.

Tough thing is some kids at 9 or 10 are one of the best on a team and by 13 they are in the bottom third. Happens all the time. These kids usually quit the sport.

Comment

On the contrary. Many club rosters are locked in tight no later than U15. It isn't always to most prudent decision but happens more often than not. They don't want to risk taking on a new player unless they're likely to be an impact starter. By U12-13 most of those top players are known/identified in the area and move into top leagues by U14 or so. If you're only going to bump off player 18-22 they're much less likely to chance a chance on an unknown.

OP shouldn't wait for cattle call tryouts at any club: call clubs and ask to attend a practice or two at a few teams that might be a fit. It's very difficult to get noticed at big tryouts. If she doesn't get any traction from going to practices then she's probably in over her head. A move into EDP or NYCSL may be a better fit - you don't want her sitting but playing as much as possible.

Comment

On the contrary. Many club rosters are locked in tight no later than U15. It isn't always to most prudent decision but happens more often than not. They don't want to risk taking on a new player unless they're likely to be an impact starter. By U12-13 most of those top players are known/identified in the area and move into top leagues by U14 or so. If you're only going to bump off player 18-22 they're much less likely to chance a chance on an unknown.

OP shouldn't wait for cattle call tryouts at any club: call clubs and ask to attend a practice or two at a few teams that might be a fit. It's very difficult to get noticed at big tryouts. If she doesn't get any traction from going to practices then she's probably in over her head. A move into EDP or NYCSL may be a better fit - you don't want her sitting but playing as much as possible.
                        I agree -- you do not want to wait until tryouts. Clubs are receptive to having kids come to practices ahead of time to see if it is a fit on both sides. You have the following choices:

- NPL
                        SUSA [NYCSL NPL]
                        Massapequa [NYCSL NPL]
                        Brentwood [NYCSL NPL]
                        Smithtown [Northeast Girls NPL]
                        Albertston [Northeast Girls NPL]

- ECNL
                        East Meadow
                        Albertson Fury

- GDA
                        FC Fury
                        Long Island Soccer Club

None of these entities are perfect, but there is some good talent -- unfortunately, sometimes it is spread too thin across these teams and the more elite players would benefit from some consolidation.

You also need to figure out logistics...how far are you willing to commute to practices and travel for games? ECNL and DA teams have kids coming from as far as hour an way -- practicing 3-4x/week plus their games take them to the entire NE (Boston>DC) + plus showcases/tournaments several times a year in places requiring plane rides. These require hotel stays and travel costs add up.

You should also try to see if you know anyone at any of these clubs and talk to them.

Comment

I agree -- you do not want to wait until tryouts. Clubs are receptive to having kids come to practices ahead of time to see if it is a fit on both sides. You have the following choices:

- NPL
                          SUSA [NYCSL NPL]
                          Massapequa [NYCSL NPL]
                          Brentwood [NYCSL NPL]
                          Smithtown [Northeast Girls NPL]
                          Albertston [Northeast Girls NPL]

- ECNL
                          East Meadow
                          Albertson Fury

- GDA
                          FC Fury
                          Long Island Soccer Club

None of these entities are perfect, but there is some good talent -- unfortunately, sometimes it is spread too thin across these teams and the more elite players would benefit from some consolidation.

You also need to figure out logistics...how far are you willing to commute to practices and travel for games? ECNL and DA teams have kids coming from as far as hour an way -- practicing 3-4x/week plus their games take them to the entire NE (Boston>DC) + plus showcases/tournaments several times a year in places requiring plane rides. These require hotel stays and travel costs add up.

You should also try to see if you know anyone at any of these clubs and talk to them.
                          I know its minor, but your list is upside down, GDA goes top, fix it please....

Comment

I know its minor, but your list is upside down, GDA goes top, fix it please....
                            Oh, and when you finish, make sure you put NYCFC above FC Fury, thanks!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X