Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes that is often the biggest issue, But as I said in my previous post the coach Hass to be up to the task of reigning that stuff in and having these top talents work with their teammates more. At the younger ages they were usually so far ahead they could take on five defenders and get through to score or something like that, but as girls get bigger and stronger and faster, even the best of players need to work within the team system to have success. Often they do not learn that lesson because their club coach just lets them do whatever they want, usually to their detriment.
    And some of the college coaches encourage the team of one behavior as well by yelling everyone to get them the ball and then the kid expects it as well. Club coaching in a college environment. Usually not successful.

Comment

And some of the college coaches encourage the team of one behavior as well by yelling everyone to get them the ball and then the kid expects it as well. Club coaching in a college environment. Usually not successful.
      Awh, does your little Mia not get the ball enough

Comment

Awh, does your little Mia not get the ball enough
        No one does. It goes into the YNT black hole never to emerge because it's usually a low percentage shot taken or disposed. Team of one.

Comment

No one does. It goes into the YNT black hole never to emerge because it's usually a low percentage shot taken or disposed. Team of one.
          I see that on many teams unfortunately as the other poster alluded.

Comment

I coach club and have a kid who plays on a local ECNL team. Not a YNT caliber player, but talented. What I see with those “top” caliber players is that, at least in their “home” club environments, they try and do too much. Too many touches, too much dribbling, rarely play simple, smart soccer. It’s like all they ever heard was “your the best, get the ball at your feet and go”. Talent comes in many forms and at the end of the day, there are 11 players a side on the pitch. I’ll take a smart soccer player who understands the game and plays simple when it makes sense than the super talented player who can’t seem to figure out how to use their teammates. If you want it to be all about you, try golf or track...
            My kid played on a team with several YNT players. They were not always the standout players in every game (the rest of the team was loaded with D1 recruits too, so it's not like they were surrounded by Rec players). In fact, they seemed to play pretty much the same in almost every game. The things they did really well they did really well EVERY game and at every practice, not just against a weaker team or a team that had a weaker player here or there.

What I found remarkable, beside their greater skill, was that they were so incredibly consistent and that they made so few obvious mistakes. There was never a bad first touch or a pass that went to the wrong foot (or completely out of play, like my kid sometimes does). Most importantly, when the team played a stronger team - their performance didn't dip at all. Unlike the "regular" players, who would look like superstars against the weak sisters but then disappear against the best teams, the YNT players just played their game like every other match. I rarely saw the "try to do too much" thing, although it did happen once in awhile late in a close game.

Comment

My kid played on a team with several YNT players. They were not always the standout players in every game (the rest of the team was loaded with D1 recruits too, so it's not like they were surrounded by Rec players). In fact, they seemed to play pretty much the same in almost every game. The things they did really well they did really well EVERY game and at every practice, not just against a weaker team or a team that had a weaker player here or there.

What I found remarkable, beside their greater skill, was that they were so incredibly consistent and that they made so few obvious mistakes. There was never a bad first touch or a pass that went to the wrong foot (or completely out of play, like my kid sometimes does). Most importantly, when the team played a stronger team - their performance didn't dip at all. Unlike the "regular" players, who would look like superstars against the weak sisters but then disappear against the best teams, the YNT players just played their game like every other match. I rarely saw the "try to do too much" thing, although it did happen once in awhile late in a close game.
              This is a joke post obviously. Every player makes mistakes regardless of their level of talent.

The better kids know they are as more is expected out of them. But they cant fix a weak player who is making mistake after mistake and left on the field. That is a coaching issue.

Comment

So true but it’s more than a coaching issue, it’s more a business one. Even low level D1 prospects (never mind the plethora of D3 ones) shouldn’t be on the same field with YNT prospects for just the reason you cite. It retards their development. The only reason they are is strictly greed.

Comment

So true but it’s more than a coaching issue, it’s more a business one. Even low level D1 prospects (never mind the plethora of D3 ones) shouldn’t be on the same field with YNT prospects for just the reason you cite. It retards their development. The only reason they are is strictly greed.
                  How is it greed and a business issue? I agree with the other poster and you, it's a coaching issue. The coaches pick and play those kids. The business of the coach is to put together a winning team having an entire country of kids to do so. They need to do their homework correctly. That's their job.

Comment

Really. This BS again? Poster is an idiot. Who should they be playing with?

DA has the goal of finding and developing talent for the NT. By definition the majority of players are training cones for the few. Same goes for any pro academy. You need the training cones dumbass, it’s a team sport.

Comment

DA has the goal of finding and developing talent for the NT. By definition the majority of players are training cones for the few. Same goes for any pro academy. You need the training cones dumbass, it’s a team sport.
                      Are you serious? You need to be challenged to get better. That's why it's so difficult for the unicorns in this area. There's not enough top talent to train with.

Comment

Yes, but you don't need such a vast difference. And you don't want just training cones to help develop, you want talented training cones.

Comment

Are you serious? You need to be challenged to get better. That's why it's so difficult for the unicorns in this area. There's not enough top talent to train with.
                          Then you should have sent your unicorn (odd terminology truly) to a residential program instead of teammates who made it possible for your unicorn to even have a team to play on.

Comment

Then you should have sent your unicorn (odd terminology truly) to a residential program instead of teammates who made it possible for your unicorn to even have a team to play on.
                            ...instead of blaming teammates.

Comment

Oh right, the teammates did them a favor instead of the other way around. The success of the team was due to the unicorn(s). They got recruited by the better programs because the unicorns made the team better instead of being in the bottom of the pack and relegated to the lower level college soccer programs. Smoke that.

Comment

Oh right, the teammates did them a favor instead of the other way around. The success of the team was due to the unicorn(s). They got recruited by the better programs because the unicorns made the team better instead of being in the bottom of the pack and relegated to the lower level college soccer programs. Smoke that.
                                LOL, you're an idiot. If you had your way and these soc-called inferior kids didn't fill rosters then your kid would have had a team. It's not THEIR fault. Almost everyone strives to play at the highest levels they can, and it's not their fault if they're chosen. Blame the overall system if you must but not your teammates. Smoke that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X