PDP winter training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that the COE training is above average and it is definitely expensive. If you can pay for it you can probably pay for private training. John Curtis will make it clear that the only way to get to a select squad and id2 is by participating in COE trainings, that again you have to pay for.

The once a month free pdp “training” sessions are not training sessions. They are usually small sided games after smaller group warmups. They are supposed to be monthly but end up every third month or so. If you want to go that route, and have your kid actually be evaluated for select squads or Id2, go with the EDP version of PDP. They aren’t selling anything over there.

Comment

Is there an EDP ID program anymore??

Comment

My son was invited to tryout for an NYCSL center of excellence. How does that happen and do most (or hopefully all) of the kids invited make it?

It’s a little bit of a shlep, but based on above, seems worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          My son was invited to tryout for an NYCSL center of excellence. How does that happen and do most (or hopefully all) of the kids invited make it?

It’s a little bit of a shlep, but based on above, seems worth it.
          Someone must have recommended him, most likely his club coach. Hard to say as some groups get tons of kids, others (older) the numbers are smaller. You never know unless you try

Comment

Someone must have recommended him, most likely his club coach. Hard to say as some groups get tons of kids, others (older) the numbers are smaller. You never know unless you try

Thanks. Any opinion on the quality of the NYCSL center of excellence vs the tryout RDS training (which he's done and enjoyed)?

Comment

Thanks. Any opinion on the quality of the NYCSL center of excellence vs the tryout RDS training (which he's done and enjoyed)?
              Both are good. If you've tried one, why not try another? Also Red Bulls isn't for any identification other than possibly for their DA teams (and even then few are selected through RDS). If your players isn't in DA or interested in DA or maybe not quite DA quality then PDP is a good way to supplement his club training

Comment

I agree that the COE training is above average and it is definitely expensive. If you can pay for it you can probably pay for private training. John Curtis will make it clear that the only way to get to a select squad and id2 is by participating in COE trainings, that again you have to pay for.

The once a month free pdp “training” sessions are not training sessions. They are usually small sided games after smaller group warmups. They are supposed to be monthly but end up every third month or so. If you want to go that route, and have your kid actually be evaluated for select squads or Id2, go with the EDP version of PDP. They aren’t selling anything over there.
                My kid goes to the monthly just about every month, that's weird that your experience was different. Maybe your kid only got invited every couple months?

Also you're wrong about ID2. One of the kids we know who has gotten 3 invites this year through PDP, does not participate in COE. You're also wrong about Select Squad, my kid had never done a COE training and she was invited to the Select Squad. But that's only our experience.

Maybe it's different in different gender/age groups...

Comment

My kid goes to the monthly just about every month, that's weird that your experience was different. Maybe your kid only got invited every couple months?

Also you're wrong about ID2. One of the kids we know who has gotten 3 invites this year through PDP, does not participate in COE. You're also wrong about Select Squad, my kid had never done a COE training and she was invited to the Select Squad. But that's only our experience.

The dates of the pdps are on the website so anyone and everyone can see how frequent they are. Just about monthly obviously is not the same as monthly, and as I am there watching, I can say there is next go no training.

And my son is on his 3rd Id2 nomination, and I can assure you he was not nominated by John Curtis because I asked him myself. An ID2 scout picked him the first time and he has been invited back twice.

People can do whatever makes them and their money happy, but COR is a product being billed as the gateway to the select squads and Id2.

Comment

The dates of the pdps are on the website so anyone and everyone can see how frequent they are. Just about monthly obviously is not the same as monthly, and as I am there watching, I can say there is next go no training.

And my son is on his 3rd Id2 nomination, and I can assure you he was not nominated by John Curtis because I asked him myself. An ID2 scout picked him the first time and he has been invited back twice.

People can do whatever makes them and their money happy, but COR is a product being billed as the gateway to the select squads and Id2.
                    Like I said, I think experiences vary, but congrats to your son, that's pretty exciting!

Comment

Like I said, I think experiences vary, but congrats to your son, that's pretty exciting!
                      Thank you very much.

My point is that John Curtis told me he needed to evaluate my son at further COE sessions before he could recommend him. He was already doing the monthly pdps. I just don’t think it’s right to tell parents they need to pay for anything to be evaluated for the free Id2 program.i

Comment

Really...you are certain she didn’t do the winter COE huh?

Comment

Two of my kids did Center of Excellence. It's true the other players are good, but it is very expensive, especially in winter. It's also on Sunday nights, which is a bummer considering how much we are gone during the week in the evenings with club practices. Finally, there's very little coaching going on. It's 100% scrimmage, with coaches observing the various scrimmages randomly, and occasionally commenting.

In short, if you have extra time and money, it's good exercise for your kids, and they will enjoy competing against other good kids. But there's very little coaching, and, as far as I could tell, not much development.

It's basically paying for what kids do after school in the streets in Latin American for free.

Comment

Two of my kids did Center of Excellence. It's true the other players are good, but it is very expensive, especially in winter. It's also on Sunday nights, which is a bummer considering how much we are gone during the week in the evenings with club practices. Finally, there's very little coaching going on. It's 100% scrimmage, with coaches observing the various scrimmages randomly, and occasionally commenting.

In short, if you have extra time and money, it's good exercise for your kids, and they will enjoy competing against other good kids. But there's very little coaching, and, as far as I could tell, not much development.

It's basically paying for what kids do after school in the streets in Latin American for free.
                            COE is a moneymaker and diluted now. Not all of the kids are good.

Comment

Now that we've beaten that dead horse more than once....folks can make their own choices. Let's move on.

Comment

COE is different than the PDP Select squads.

It seems to be COE is taking boys/girls that are good players and some that are just not quite there yet to maybe help them progress. That part is a bit of a money maker, but it is a business and it seems to be helping some players grow which is great.

PDP Select squads are usually the more skilled players that are ready for high caliber competition.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X