Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Oh nice a pivot to Jungle cats. With a team like that susa surely has a Tiger by the tail.
    The fall is a grueling season with school ball but as long as they avoid getting a sports hyenia they should be good.

Comment

I think i can end this arguement. My daughter plays on HBC and I can lend some insight to this dispute. HBC is a very talented team we have very good players at our starting positions. When we play the very best national teams our starting 11 matches up evenly or better in most instances. Competing with these strong national teams becomes problematic when it comes to substitutions. We like many teams have very good 12 13 14 and 15 players but they are not as good as our starters. That is not meant as an insult it is true for most teams out there and I guarantee it's very much an issue with SUSA too. However when you play a Cincinnati Cup Gold team or a PDA ECNL national championship team their substitutions are just as good and in some cases better than the starters. I say better because the subs know they are good players and they are fighting for a starting role and increased playing time. They have little to no drop off in play and the teams stay much fresher. Our parents have seen dozens of games over the last 3 seasons where teams go 11 stud starting players and 1 very good sub per position. Just this year the Cincinnati goalie who is awesome, broke her collar bone in the 1st game of nationals so they flew in her back up and she eventually won the golden glove award as best goalie. We have a very good back up but that would have ended our run.
      Depth is the reason I said my daughter's team is an above average national level competitor. If SUSA has 11 stud players at each position and 6 or 7 very good subs then they can be a strong national level competitor. I will leave that for you guys to determine.
      This is a good post, does the Susa team have 11 very good starters and a couple of good subs. If not How hard is it to have a team like that here on long island?

Comment

This is a good post, does the Susa team have 11 very good starters and a couple of good subs. If not How hard is it to have a team like that here on long island?
        This continuing line of thought is making me catatonic.

Comment

After reading this I want nothing to do with SUSA. Thanks for the free look

Comment

Larry now plugging Surf getting ECNL on his SUSA thread. Personally I think GDA will get traction. I think the USWNT GDA tie in down in DC is a very aggressive way to show clubs the path to the team.

If SUSA builds its facility it will be impressive but by no means should KK and others pack up and call it a day. If anyone can offer a similarly competative or more competative program for much less money they will be fine. Athletic kids come from all different backgrounds and while I am sure SUSA may carry 1-2 per age group, their cost structure will be prohibitive for many strong athletes.

On the bright side look for the Cedar Stars owner (a guy with real money that doesn't need government assistance) to buy this place on the cheap in a few years. Only then will it live up to its promise of supporting the most promising athletes.
            Wait ! Some of the girls on the Atletico roster are on the LISC,FURY, EM and the Smithtown rosters I think it's a conspiracy ...PR KK TL RM BW S and PZ all involved to keep Surf and Susa from getting GDA and ECNL on Long Island

Comment

Wait ! Some of the girls on the Atletico roster are on the LISC,FURY, EM and the Smithtown rosters I think it's a conspiracy ...PR KK TL RM BW S and PZ all involved to keep Surf and Susa from getting GDA and ECNL on Long Island
              By even mentioning Surf and potentially thinking SUSA has a realiastic chance at ECNL, just shows you really do not know how it works. Neither is getting it. Especially Surf. Period.

Comment

By even mentioning Surf and potentially thinking SUSA has a realiastic chance at ECNL, just shows you really do not know how it works. Neither is getting it. Especially Surf. Period.
                Please explain. Why doesn't SUSA have a realistic chance at ECNL?

Comment

ECNL will be what NPL was before GDA in another 3 years. I am sure anyone will get it that wants it but with LI so fractured why bother? As for today if the application is anything like GDA is (supposed to be) I would say they need more high licensed (A/B) coaches.

The problem for LI is every time someone gets close the shiny new thing comes along.

IMO the big loser is Surf, they will try to sell what they legally can (they are a DE non-profit) in another year or so I am guessing.

My guess is Susa builds a much smaller complex of 3-4 fields and makes it multi use (soccer, field hockey, lax and sports camps). I've seen beautiful complexes in the mid Atlantic where the in house club is relatively weak and small because they can't match the costs of the surrounding non-profits with little overhead and popular independent trainers. Don't feel bad for them, they will be financially fine even if they never become a successful regional of national club.

Comment

ECNL will be what NPL was before GDA in another 3 years. I am sure anyone will get it that wants it but with LI so fractured why bother? As for today if the application is anything like GDA is (supposed to be) I would say they need more high licensed (A/B) coaches.

The problem for LI is every time someone gets close the shiny new thing comes along.

IMO the big loser is Surf, they will try to sell what they legally can (they are a DE non-profit) in another year or so I am guessing.

My guess is Susa builds a much smaller complex of 3-4 fields and makes it multi use (soccer, field hockey, lax and sports camps). I've seen beautiful complexes in the mid Atlantic where the in house club is relatively weak and small because they can't match the costs of the surrounding non-profits with little overhead and popular independent trainers. Don't feel bad for them, they will be financially fine even if they never become a successful regional of national club.
                    GDA will never get to the level that ECNL was "pre-GDA". The only way it succeeds even at a moderate level is if they dump half the clubs, tighten the restrictions and up the quality of the level of play. No way players are going to continue to schlepp all over the country for blowout games and no way college coaches are going to "flock" to recruit out of a league so blatantly lopsided.

Comment

LI is way too diluted as it is. Two DA clubs, two ECNL clubs. It's just demographics.

Comment

GDA will never get to the level that ECNL was "pre-GDA". The only way it succeeds even at a moderate level is if they dump half the clubs, tighten the restrictions and up the quality of the level of play. No way players are going to continue to schlepp all over the country for blowout games and no way college coaches are going to "flock" to recruit out of a league so blatantly lopsided.
                        Why? Never is a long time and you assume that HS will hold the same interest for kids who have never played It. Right now the GDA is a better product. I dod not say it has better players, but its certainly a better blueprint than the ECNl is. ECNL is only holding its own becasue HS soccer is a draw, especially for some who have grown up in it.

Comment

Why? Never is a long time and you assume that HS will hold the same interest for kids who have never played It. Right now the GDA is a better product. I dod not say it has better players, but its certainly a better blueprint than the ECNl is. ECNL is only holding its own becasue HS soccer is a draw, especially for some who have grown up in it.
                          They blueprint is practically identical. They are both the girl's version of the BDA with the major difference being that there are a significant number of funded BDA teams. That will not happen for the girls. The ECNL was a nice soccer country club for talent that could afford it and now the GDA will be the same. GDA is not a recipe for any change in the girl's soccer landscape.

It is a fine place for the players it serves but it is highly exclusionary. Disappointing but it is what it is.

Comment

I think you're putting too much emphasis on HS Ball being a draw or not. Take a look at the U14 age group. They're in 8th grade (starting today for most of them), yet LISC had to fleece 3 clubs to field a team and FURY had to strong arm a bunch of the Alby ECNL players to get them to GDA. The majority of these kids have never set foot on a HS pitch, yet there wasn't a mad rush to go to the "top league" and quite a few were heavily recruited by the GDA clubs and still took a pass.

Comment

It would be stupid for older girls to abandon their existing clubs in the last year or two of their club career. Younger kids on the other hand might find some benefit of getting into GDA on the ground floor.

Comment

They blueprint is practically identical. They are both the girl's version of the BDA with the major difference being that there are a significant number of funded BDA teams. That will not happen for the girls. The ECNL was a nice soccer country club for talent that could afford it and now the GDA will be the same. GDA is not a recipe for any change in the girl's soccer landscape.

It is a fine place for the players it serves but it is highly exclusionary. Disappointing but it is what it is.
                                Can i ask you why it needs to be? It is a far superior year roud training environment for my child. Thats all I really care about. The transformation of US soccer is a far bigger issue that only a fool would expect the Clubs/ GDA/ ECNL to solve.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X