Why not do away with ODP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who coached ODP when is was legite and who are the main coaches now. Maybe that's the telling story as to why it's changed negatively? Other ODP programs in parts of the US are still valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Abby Wambach - Inducted 2011 ODP hall of fame
      ODP has a hall of fame??? Now that's dumb.

Comment

How is a club owner getting rich by traveling to a tournament. People don't have to play on teams if they don't want to.

Comment

My son plays ODP and enjoys it. He understands that it's a second tier program, but who cares, because he enjoys it.

As far as the costs associated with ODP, I think CJSA could do a little better in reducing the costs associated with the program. If the rumors are true, they have enough cash.
          Game; Set ; Match !!!!

What you describe is a summer camp, not a state run National team identification program.

Comment

Game; Set ; Match !!!!

What you describe is a summer camp, not a state run National team identification program.
            Your opinion......there have been a few CT girls and boys that have been called into national pool camps in the last few years.

Scott Levene.....did ODP made National Pool at U-14 and then joined FC Westchester
            Sean Texeira......did ODP made National Pool at U-14 joined the Red Bulls
            Jenna Bike........made the National Pool again this year
            Sarah Mcauley....made the National Pool

These are just to name a few.....there are possibly more that should be on this list

Over the years there have been a number of players both boys and girls that have made Regional pools and participated in International tournaments against top competition........sign my kid up for that summer camp!!!!!!

Comment

i played ODP from u14-u17 on the boys side when the pool was 22-24 players in the early 2000's, back then it was just barely legitimate. i was a fringe player on that team. i can only imagine the farce that CT ODP has become. if you're saying its perfect for getting "extra trainings in" you're grasping at straws. that is not ODP's stated purpose or intent. ODP's original purpose is to identify talent and streamline that talent to places where that talent can be actualized.

if kids want to get better individually its technical work outside of the club training with your team on your own. but practicing on one field with 50+ other kids has got to be a joke.
              Not sure where there are 50 players on one field at ODP sessions...........I have watched my daughters sessions this year and they split the pool into 4 groups and use 2 indoor fields. People should go and see how it's structured before posting.......you could also go and watch some of these so called Premier clubs practicing with 3 or 4 teams on one field!!

Comment

Not worth the time or effort, there are kids in the ct odp program that can not even make there town travel team and get cut from 2 or more premier teams

Comment

CT ODP is not even a consideration for good players past U14.

While some may have started there, no one counts on ODP to provide identification past U14.

Comment

Not worth the time or effort, there are kids in the ct odp program that can not even make there town travel team and get cut from 2 or more premier teams
                    I call bullish!t. Maybe ur kid will make it next year if they practice more.

Comment

I heard one player showed up with a basketball. I can't believe they still allow this program to exist. What a loser.

Comment

I can only say that the experience has been only positive for my son. He currently plays for an academy club but at the preacademy level (2000 birth year). The ODP coaches especially head coach PB has been great with communications. The other coaches are top notch (AH, SL, DP). ODP gives my son the opportunity to play with other boys that he might normally be playing against or never have a chance to play with. He looks forwards to getting up at 5 am to make the trek to Farmington even on days he has games afterwards. He's never once asked to skip a practice.

I was so impressed with how the boys played ( passing and possession ) at the VA Friendlies. No one was a ballhog and tried to dribble down the middle. The coaches explained that they were going to put the boys out of their comfort zone and put them in positions they dont normally play in.

ODP was a different experience for my older son who started later with soccer. The team never really gelled. The coaches didn't really know where to put the players and it was not a positive experience. Communications was not great and he and his friends and teammates did not continue with ODP. That was prior to SB taking over as DOC or whatever his title is at ODP.

My point is that the coaching staff can make a huge difference. The 2000 coaches are really top notch. Wish you guys would stop putting others down. If you don't like it don't do it. All I'm saying it its been great for my son and I'm sorry that one day soon he will have to pick academy or ODP. Wish he could do both.

Comment

OP here:
                          I have no doubt that the above statements are true and your son enjoyed the experience ( at a cost $$$ ). The poster who called out summer camps, would state all of the same experiences.

What I am trying to highlight is that ODP no longer fulfills a role in feeding our national talent programs. Going forward, yes, some got into the regional pool at lower ages, but u15+ will all eventually end up in ECNL or DAP as the primary exposure route. Some will also come from quality clubs via US Soccer training centers, but almost none come from ODP alone, so why have mislead people with the ODP mission. DAP forbids players from doing ODP on top of this.

I'm suggesting that CJSA acknowledge this and lead the way with either changing the stated objectives of the program, or doing away with it all together and let the free market fill the need for additional statewide training. I'm not bashing the program, just pointing out that the original intent and the stated objectives are no longer relevant.

Comment

Your opinion......there have been a few CT girls and boys that have been called into national pool camps in the last few years.

Scott Levene.....did ODP made National Pool at U-14 and then joined FC Westchester
                            Sean Texeira......did ODP made National Pool at U-14 joined the Red Bulls
                            Jenna Bike........made the National Pool again this year
                            Sarah Mcauley....made the National Pool

These are just to name a few.....there are possibly more that should be on this list

Over the years there have been a number of players both boys and girls that have made Regional pools and participated in International tournaments against top competition........sign my kid up for that summer camp!!!!!!
                            Right on! brother right on.

but let me add to that list.
                            Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Bobby Convey and Ben Olsen. Joy Fawcett and Carla Overbec.
                            All identified through their local ODP program.They were, or one of the best in their regions.

Now i looked at this years Italy International region 1 final roster cut for the 99,98,87 and 96s.

I see 4 Connecticut boys players.

Alexander Clarke, Zachary Lopes (99)
                            Harrison Tramposch (98)
                            Sean Dalrymple (97)

and zero 96s.

Connecticut Girls

Jenna Bike (98)
                            Jessica Laszlo (96/97)
                            Darien Dunham(95/96)
                            Sarah McCauley((95/96)
                            Rachel Ugolik(95/96)

Called into ODP National camps below is its highest venue.These girls were seen for National team exposure.
                            Mia Ciardiello, Anna Glovin, Ursula Alwang, Clare Mengel, Mason Worthington,
                            Alyson Clarke, Danielle Etzel, Meredith Rogers.

CONGRATULATIONS to all these boys and Girls on representing the state and your personal achievements.I hope you all good luck.

So here's the facts.
                            Connecticut ODP coach's or CJSA administration have no control who makes these rosters, but hope the best talent participates and represent the state in order for college identification and national pool call up.
                            In a nutshell your hurting your kids chances in what he can achieve for himself.
                            By no means is this the only way but, you need to ask your self this. Why limit your kids chances.

Achieving the region 1 International roster or nationals requires multiple callbacks and as much as a 1,000 kids in his or her age group from 13 STATES and to which some states which are large in demography make it into 15 ODP programs.
                            In this gathering at all times being watched by several coaches region 1/ D1 coaches that don't care a crap about your states program but the individual player.
                            The final conclusion is 18 players.
                            Its not easy ladies and gents, boys and girls, its not easy.DO NOT LISTEN TO PREVIOUS BASHERS.

So i ask.
                            If ODP is crap, put your kid in and see how he or she does and if they make that final cut.

I took a moment and looked at the many rosters in the academy program,16 and 18s
                            For each player they have a page that lists their soccer accomplishments as a player.
                            What amazes me is that many made the region pools of their state but less than 8% made the final International cut with 3% making national pool, some had played ODP for 2-4 years and still failed to reach that elite level.
                            The fact is momi and dadi won't tell them they just aren't that good, so they tell their kid its political or ODP sucks, but the matter is Connecticut ODP has nothing to do with it.

So here's my last question to you all, is it easier to make the academy roster at one of the local clubs or making that final cut at ODP international/national level?
                            My personal answer is yes overwhelmingly.

For all the bashers put your kid in and give us your result. If they make it to the elite level paste their name, or else shut you trap.

Congrats again boys and girls, congrats.I love CT

Comment

Praise the lord.
                              She'll make the cut next time. I promise she will.

Comment

OP here:
                                I have no doubt that the above statements are true and your son enjoyed the experience ( at a cost $$$ ). The poster who called out summer camps, would state all of the same experiences.

What I am trying to highlight is that ODP no longer fulfills a role in feeding our national talent programs. Going forward, yes, some got into the regional pool at lower ages, but u15+ will all eventually end up in ECNL or DAP as the primary exposure route. Some will also come from quality clubs via US Soccer training centers, but almost none come from ODP alone, so why have mislead people with the ODP mission. DAP forbids players from doing ODP on top of this.

I'm suggesting that CJSA acknowledge this and lead the way with either changing the stated objectives of the program, or doing away with it all together and let the free market fill the need for additional statewide training. I'm not bashing the program, just pointing out that the original intent and the stated objectives are no longer relevant.
                                Read the previous post where it shows that some CT players made National Camps through exposure from ODP.......although it is not many, it is still getting players identified.
                                If ODP is not completing it's mission statement but DAP or ECNL are, show me the number of players from CT that have made National camps with these systems??

If 1 or 2 players make Regional and or National Camp the program is helping........if one player from CT on either an ECNL or DAP club makes a National Camp those programs are helping too. Just on the Boys side that I know of, Scott Levene and Sean Texiera were called into National Camps at U-14 in the last 3 or 4 years..........I know that Danny Lareneto also was called into a National Camp after he too left CT ODP and then went to the Red Bulls.

Show us how many players have been called into a National Camp from CT that do not do ODP........Ellie Jean from Oakwood (not an ECNL program), Tyler Turner from South Central both very good players that are where they should be with help from their clubs. Any ODP player that get's called into a National Camp does it on merit and is helped by their club and not just through the ODP program.

Your statement regarding letting the free market fill the need for additional statewide training implies what? If the clubs are doing their jobs why would there be a need for another entity to supply additional statewide training unless there is an avenue at the end of it. Per your earlier comment.....would this additional statewide program that is freemarketed cost nothing??? Everything costs money when you have to pay for facilities and staff......unless you go to the Red Bulls or another free DAP program. Not sure there are any ECNL programs that are free!!

Making Regional pool and going on International trips may not be the National pool, but I can tell you now, it is a step up in the development for the players who may not have made National pool yet but could do so in the future. Also, isn't it good for a player to strive to represent their state or region and if they don't make it work harder to achieve that goal they may have...........there have been many boys that have done ODP that have made the Regional pools and have not only gained an unbelievable experience on these International trips, but have also been helped in their exposure to college coaches.

SB has done a great job in the structuring of the program and people calling it a summer camp should go and see it first hand before making assumptions!!

Show us the number of players that have made National Camps from CT that do not do ODP in the last few years to back up your theory!! I gave you 2!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X