Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Progressive Coaches in Washington

It occurred to me that it would be useful to know who are the most progressive and innovative coaches in Washington. I have heard great things about Aaron Byers at MIFC, Joe Campos at Eagleclaw FC and Scott Nelson at Nortac. I hear a lot about their methods and philosophies, but most other coaches are talked about in terms of wins or other soft criteria like being nice or fun. Anyone agree these three are the most progressive coaches in Washington? Who else out there is doing progressive/innovative coaching work? What are they doing? Where are they doing it at?

May want to read the 5 coaches thread, the consensus is that the list of good coaches is embarrassingly short.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      May want to read the 5 coaches thread, the consensus is that the list of good coaches is embarrassingly short.
      OK, that's funny. I was just on that thread, got tired of seeing the lists of "my favorite coaches at my favorite club" and thought to ask a better question that might provide more valuable information. "Embarrasingly short" is quite an indictment.

Comment

It occurred to me that it would be useful to know who are the most progressive and innovative coaches in Washington. I have heard great things about Aaron Byers at MIFC, Joe Campos at Eagleclaw FC and Scott Nelson at Nortac. I hear a lot about their methods and philosophies, but most other coaches are talked about in terms of wins or other soft criteria like being nice or fun. Anyone agree these three are the most progressive coaches in Washington? Who else out there is doing progressive/innovative coaching work? What are they doing? Where are they doing it at?
        You are saying you heard these three were the most progressive coaches, have you had your dd/ds play for these coaches?

Can you point to a single professional soccer player that any of these three have developed?

This is a dumb list. But I guess your post is about progressive and innovative vs good.

Comment

Love how Eagle Claw starts it's own threads about itself.

Nice post Joe.

Comment

I feel you don't need some radical unorthodox method of coaching to be good. Keep it simple, keep it old school. There is no magic pill or secret formula, coach directly and coach with passion.

Non are progressive enough. They are all straight white cis males. We need an albino - black mixed, Monoamorous, male to female back to male transgender coach.

Comment

I feel you don't need some radical unorthodox method of coaching to be good. Keep it simple, keep it old school. There is no magic pill or secret formula, coach directly and coach with passion.

Non are progressive enough. They are all straight white cis males. We need an albino - black mixed, Monoamorous, male to female back to male transgender coach.
              Someone is a jerk.

Comment

Love how Eagle Claw starts it's own threads about itself.

Nice post Joe.
                Hahaha, the same crossed my mind. I will credit Eagle Claw for trying to be different. I don't think they have enough kids to fill up most of their rosters and IMO most kids that do choose Eagle Claw seem to be B/C team or Rec level talent which isn't a knock on the kids or the club.

I would send my kids there for the experience and enjoyment of soccer. However my dd/ds want to play against the best and dream of playing College and above. So my kids play for a larger club where it's just a sh** show with politics, poo flinging, and angry parents who lambaste the coaches and act as it's the end of the world after the 1-0 loss.

But mostly my kids are oblivious to the carrying on of the parents and are having fun playing soccer.

Kids should enjoy their childhood and look forward to going to soccer practice. Choose the best for your kids and don't make it suck. To each is own.

Comment

Anwar Wilson. Hands down best and most progressive Coach around.

Comment

Who is Anwar Wilson and where does he/she coach? What makes them progressive or a great soccer coach-educator?

Comment

I think Anwar Wilson is at Blackhill's now. We knew him when he was at the Puget Sound Slammers. Our daughter played for him for two years. She absolutely loved it (we did too). Great guy, he would put in just about as many hours as our daughter (and whoever else from the club wanted to train) wanted. He'd do technical trainings, shooting, anything they wanted to work on, really. He seemed to be genuinely in it for the progression of the players and seemed truly appreciative when we (or our player) would keep him up on how they were doing. What we really liked is that he didn't seem to have a set "system" like many coaches do (in my opinion). He played the team one way the first year and, after a few players left and others came on, he played the team another way the second year. The team performed great both years. He'd look at the abilities of his players and figure out a system they could pull off based on their strength's (and weaknesses!). Our daughter went on to play in College and still talks about Anwar as the best coach she's ever had.

Comment

I think Anwar Wilson is at Blackhill's now. We knew him when he was at the Puget Sound Slammers. Our daughter played for him for two years. She absolutely loved it (we did too). Great guy, he would put in just about as many hours as our daughter (and whoever else from the club wanted to train) wanted. He'd do technical trainings, shooting, anything they wanted to work on, really. He seemed to be genuinely in it for the progression of the players and seemed truly appreciative when we (or our player) would keep him up on how they were doing. What we really liked is that he didn't seem to have a set "system" like many coaches do (in my opinion). He played the team one way the first year and, after a few players left and others came on, he played the team another way the second year. The team performed great both years. He'd look at the abilities of his players and figure out a system they could pull off based on their strength's (and weaknesses!). Our daughter went on to play in College and still talks about Anwar as the best coach she's ever had.
                        Hey! Who is this!?! We were at PSS too! Best club ever! We've had two daugher's play for Anwar (I'm the one who put up the original Anwar shout out) and I'll echo everything in this message. Great guy. Great Coach. I'm not sure I'm soccer saavy enough to explain the "progressive" part (really, what's "progressive" soccer? It's playing in a way that gets results, in my opinion) but we have nothing but the highest opinion of him. Not to say there's not other great coaches out there, just that he's the guy that elevated our players abilities exponentially in just a few short years and gave them the love of the game and the confidence in their own soccer knowledge and abilities to shoot higher (and succeed). I'll leave it at that. And, yes, he's at Blackhill's currently.

Comment

You are saying you heard these three were the most progressive coaches, have you had your dd/ds play for these coaches?

Can you point to a single professional soccer player that any of these three have developed?

This is a dumb list. But I guess your post is about progressive and innovative vs good.
                          Sounders academy hasn’t developed any real pros either. Yedlin was Crossfire Akron and Morris was MI / Stanford. Bwana isn’t a real pro.

Comment

Sounders academy hasn’t developed any real pros either. Yedlin was Crossfire Akron and Morris was MI / Stanford. Bwana isn’t a real pro.
                            This is seriously the stupidest comment I've ever seen on this forum. Bwana, for example, gets paid by the Sounders and has appeared in more than a dozen professional matches. That is the definition of a pro athlete. Apparently your definition of a real pro is personal to you and you alone. Is Sounders solely responsible for the successful development of any athlete? No, but to claim they don't have a successful academy program is just sillyness.

Comment

Sounders Academy has put a significant number of professionals in the MLS. Whether through development or talent acquisition, they have demonstrated a willingness to put players onto the first team.

However, my response to you wasn’t about a club or academy... I’m sorry, werent we talking about specific coaches?

You are an ignorant fool. Do you always go through life answering questions that weren’t asked and ignoring ones that were?

Stupidity at its finest.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X