Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Seattle

Best combo of commute to downtown Seattle work, reasonable housing, good girls ECNL club, good academic and soccer high school?

West Seattle neighborhood (Seattle). PacNW soccer club. West Seattle High School.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      West Seattle neighborhood (Seattle). PacNW soccer club. West Seattle High School.
      Thanks! Will look into those.

Comment

Best combo of commute to downtown Seattle work, reasonable housing, good girls ECNL club, good academic and soccer high school?

Capital Hill, Reign Academy, National Addiction Rehabs Seattle. :)

Comment

Boy, housing is much more expensive in Seattle than where we’re from... PAC NW practice facility looks great and housing is cheaper in Tukwila and the commute is doable but the high school has a very low rating. Any thoughts on that area? Any suggestions for a relatively nice and safe neighborhood with a good high school within an hours commute?

Comment

Boy, housing is much more expensive in Seattle than where we’re from... PAC NW practice facility looks great and housing is cheaper in Tukwila and the commute is doable but the high school has a very low rating. Any thoughts on that area? Any suggestions for a relatively nice and safe neighborhood with a good high school within an hours commute?
            Your choices for ECNL clubs are:
            Washington Premiere in Puyallup. You'd need to be in the Tacoma area which is about an hours commute away. Housing is reasonable. Commute will be an hour or more on your best days.

PacNW: Kent, Renton, South Seattle. Housing is reasonable Kent, and surrounding areas. Commute may be longer though as you are not in the 1-5 corridor.

Seattle United: Greater Seattle area from West Seattle to Lynnwood. no Commute. Don't let scaremongering affect you..lots of trolls on here. Cheapest housing is going to be northward though. Start looking at Shoreline or Bothell. If your in Seattle city ,limits, housing starts at $650k for a 1 bedroom for $1.5 million for 4 (and this is about 2000 squre feet or less) You best private schools are here, with some exceptional public Schools as well.

Crossfire Premiere:
            Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland, Snohomish, Woodinville. Some affordable housing north of Woodinville and south toward Kent. This is basically the eastern side of lake Washington. Seattle United controls the other side. Excellent Schools in Redmond, Bellevue, Issaquah, Snohomish.

Eastside FC:
            Eastside Catholic HS is here is you want to see what a school with their own Football Stadium, Soccer stadium and swimming Stadium is like. A little overlap with Crossfire, but housing is cheaper as you move eastward and north to Snohomish. Your commute is ok as long as you have access to I-405 and I-90

Your main routes into the city will be I-5, 1-90 and 520.
            A lot of people also commute via the sound transit train. If you work 9-5 that may be a good option. I have co-workers in downtown Seattle that train in from Everette (super affordable housing in South Everette towards the water. Others come in from Federal Way and North Tacoma via the train as well.

Comment

We moved into the area a few years ago. There are no good answers, unfortunately. Housing is not cheap, Seattle public schools aren't great, commuting/traffic is rough. Here's the deal on clubs:

If you live in south Seattle, which is convenient to downtown, Pac NW will be your most convenient club. All training at Starfire in Tukwila. Not great high schools.

If you live in Shoreline, you can get better public schools but your downtown commute will be tougher. You could do potentially do Crossfire in Redmond for your club, which covers ECNL fees. All training in Redmond.

If you on the Eastside, you have a longer commute to downtown but you get the better schools and can do either Crossfire or Eastside FC, all training in Preston.

Seattle United is the "city" soccer club but it's the only club with an ECNL program that doesn't have a primary training field. Practices are held all over the city, though ECNL teams mainly train at UW or Seattle Pacific U. never knowing where the team might practice makes the logistics a lot harder.

Basically you really have to start with your house/school and go from there because there are no easy solutions

Comment

If pcking a soccer club is even 1% of your decision then you have failed. Focus first on a house price target you can afford within your means. Then target the best schools that have houses in that price range. And most importantly keep your commute in traffic under 35 minutes. Which means living closer to your work and maybe a smaller house. But the extra hour per day not in your car is worth it's weight in gold. Then after you have moved in come back and ask about soccer. We will all tell you that PSPL and select teams are better than RCL. :)

Comment

Thank you all so much! It’s a lot to consider. Our daughters will be driving themselves to practice and aren’t used to the extreme traffic whereas I am. I’d rather have more commute time for me than for them. Also would worry about the Seattle United practice situation. My kids aren’t savvy city kids....

Myeldest is in the middle of recruiting too so I may go ahead and rent and let her continue where she is until she’s committed before the rest of the gam moves over. It can be very hard to break into an established older team from both a soccer and social aspect. If Crossfire Premier pays(!) they are probably overflowing with top players and might not want mine at this late stage.

The Eastside private school sounds divine but with housing costs being so high, I think we’ll try to find a house in a good public school boundary.

I will do lots more google research but am so grateful for all the useful input. If anyone thinks of anything else, don’t hesitate to add.

Comment

Thank you all so much! It’s a lot to consider. Our daughters will be driving themselves to practice and aren’t used to the extreme traffic whereas I am. I’d rather have more commute time for me than for them. Also would worry about the Seattle United practice situation. My kids aren’t savvy city kids....

Myeldest is in the middle of recruiting too so I may go ahead and rent and let her continue where she is until she’s committed before the rest of the gam moves over. It can be very hard to break into an established older team from both a soccer and social aspect. If Crossfire Premier pays(!) they are probably overflowing with top players and might not want mine at this late stage.

The Eastside private school sounds divine but with housing costs being so high, I think we’ll try to find a house in a good public school boundary.

I will do lots more google research but am so grateful for all the useful input. If anyone thinks of anything else, don’t hesitate to add.
                    It's worth it to reach out to coaches to see where there might be openings. It is hard to break in but you never know!

Comment

Have a look at Eagleclaw. Practices at Starfire Sports, which is a great facility. www.eagleclawfc.org

Comment

How old are your girls? What year were they born?

Comment

It's worth it to reach out to coaches to see where there might be openings. It is hard to break in but you never know!
                          Another reason to get my oldest committed first. Hopefully she can get on a good team with nice girls and be challenged. If she’s committed already she wouldn’t have to be too stressed about starting & playing time and such. And the coaches and players might respect her more from the get go if she has a decent commitment (mid D1). She’s a 2002 born junior. My younger is a 2005 but isn’t quite as good and is a better basketball player so she might switch to basketball full time after we move. She’s been with her soccer teammates here for more years and is really close to them so won’t leave soccer for more social reasons here.

Comment

I would look up near Shoreline, and Edmonds area. Consider the the light rail system going through Northgate, 130th, 145th and Lynnwood. Northgate will be finished soon. Shoreline schools like Shorewood and Shorecrest are fine. Edmonds-Woodway has IB program. Decent hs soccer programs at Shorewood, Shorecrest, and Edmonds. Housing is more affordable.
                            Seattle United is best bet, but like others have said, no set fields.

What is your timeframe? Like now?
                            You can always ask for a practice session with the team since you are out of town and see if she can fit. Don't know how feasible it is, but something to consider. ECNL is not in session until after hs soccer season around Nov. Not sure if the clubs will allow additional players to ECNL, but studs make their own rules.

Comment

Another reason to get my oldest committed first. Hopefully she can get on a good team with nice girls and be challenged. If she’s committed already she wouldn’t have to be too stressed about starting & playing time and such. And the coaches and players might respect her more from the get go if she has a decent commitment (mid D1). She’s a 2002 born junior. My younger is a 2005 but isn’t quite as good and is a better basketball player so she might switch to basketball full time after we move. She’s been with her soccer teammates here for more years and is really close to them so won’t leave soccer for more social reasons here.
                              I think if she's a good player most teams will let her come out and do a couple traning/tryouts. I think several clubs in Seattle have two ECNL teams at the 01/02 level. Certainly a solid commitment will get coaches' attention but it will also be about team needs and the impression she makes at the training/tryout. Wishing you well for a great outcome on it all!

Also FYI for younger daughter -- Crossfire and Pac have the most established ECNL teams with the best connections to college coaches. Seattle United and Eastside are newer. SU has staff with college connections but...let's just say the program still has growing pains

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X