Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Luck Soccer/Track Athletes!

Many soccer players are represented in the student-athletes competing in the Oregon HS track championships this weekend. Congrats to all competing for balancing a busy life of school, dual sports, and family.

To the GDA girls competing this weekend, enjoy your final weekend of HS sports. I'm sure it will be bittersweet. No sarcasm here - I hope you are making the right decision. I'm sure that weighs heavily on you and you are sacrificing a lot. I hope it's worth it.

so non-soccer HS sports are specifically forbidden?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Nothing is specifically forbidden with Thorns GDA. They do whatever they want. But if your kid is committed to the academy, she will have a difficult time doing track practice and soccer practice nightly, doing track meets weekly, and playing in GDA games weekly. Maybe you can clone her?

Comment

DA/GDA does not prohibit other sports (in high school or otherwise). Only activities defined as "soccer-related" are off limits.

Comment

Badminton and croquet (non-contact) were authorized by the Board of Directors of the Portland Thorns Girls Development Academy. Croquet ponyons must be non-metallic.

Comment

GDA is allowing all track events NOT including RUNNING or JUMPING - they are being authorized by the Board today in response to some of the ridiculous criticisms brought forward in forums such as this.

Comment

From the US Soccer Girls DA rules:

"players will not be allowed to play simultaneously in the Academy and in outside competition"

I think that rules out all non academy soccer.

Comment

"players will not be allowed to play simultaneously in the Academy and in outside competition"

so does that mean no track, basketball etc?

Comment

so does that mean no track, basketball etc?
                  nope.

Comment

It seems to be a pattern with GDA that policies are intentionally written in a way to allow latitude. My guess is if there's a kid out there (either in Oregon or elsewhere) who is a superstar and who an academy team doesn't want to lose, the policy will read as "players will not be allowed to play simultaneously in the Academy and in outside SOCCER competition." For the non superstars, take out the word SOCCER.

Especially considering Thorns academy has already shown a propensity for bending the rules ($125 tryout fee), it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the chosen few get to continue on with a HS track season. Time will tell.

Comment

It seems to be a pattern with GDA that policies are intentionally written in a way to allow latitude. My guess is if there's a kid out there (either in Oregon or elsewhere) who is a superstar and who an academy team doesn't want to lose, the policy will read as "players will not be allowed to play simultaneously in the Academy and in outside SOCCER competition." For the non superstars, take out the word SOCCER.

Especially considering Thorns academy has already shown a propensity for bending the rules ($125 tryout fee), it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the chosen few get to continue on with a HS track season. Time will tell.
                      Or it's written assuming nobody would be dense enough to believe the GDA has any say in anything outside of soccer activities.

Comment

Or it's written assuming nobody would be dense enough to believe the GDA has any say in anything outside of soccer activities.
                        That is a very disingenuous statement. While you may be technically correct in that GDA isn't or hasn't specifically listed what a player cannot do, they have made it very clear that if your player plays for GDA, they won't have time to do anything else. 4 practices/week, 1 travel day/week (most weeks), 1 game day/week = 6 days. Do you plan on having her be physically active 7 days/week for weeks on end? Or going to a 2 hour track practice or meet then heading off to soccer? If so, I hope you are banking that money you're saving on club fees for medical copays.

Comment

Yes, all sports activities outside the GDA are not allowed.

Comment

Yes, all sports activities outside the GDA are not allowed.
                            Incorrecto

Comment

The point is that if you are all in, you need to be all in. Screwing around in other sports means you are not all in.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X