X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Random

% of NCAA male soccer players going pro http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...onal-athletics

Top US states for developing pro soccer players http://the18.com/news/what-us-states...soccer-players

Guardian article about why the U.S. cannot produce a stud male soccer star https://www.theguardian.com/football...-a-soccer-star
    Nice. Thanks for posting

Comment

74 clubs. Pick a low number of 22 players per team X 3 teams per club = 4,884 players in any given year. (I'm not going to count the U12s and 13s because they're young and NT/pro isn't relevant yet).

From the DA website (so you can't argue these numbers)

The Development Academy offers various talent identification opportunities for Academy players through both league play and at events. Since the 2007-08 Development Academy season, 19 Academy alumni have earned Men's National Team Call-Ups and 1,250 Academy players earned Youth National Team call-ups. Over 160 Development Academy alumni have played in Major League Soccer, with approximately another 50+ alumni at professional environments overseas.
      So DA has been around for nearly ten years now correct? I"m assuming they didn't have all the clubs right away. Even picking a very low number of 15,000 "graduates" in that time then that means there have been 8.3% NT youth call ups, 1.1% MLS, .3% Europe, even less NT (but really most of the MT never went through the academy system because most are older and it wasn't around. The youngest player trained primarily in Europe).

And don't forgot most of those players are from MLS clubs - they get most of the top DA talent. So the odds of you going pro at non DA? It probably isn't any different than any shot at going pro. But keep it in perspective when deciding to shell out the money, do long commutes, have your kids give up HS sports. Perspective.

Comment

Yes, you can play HS sports for the fun and camraderie but if you're a good athlete it's hard not to think a little bit about the role your athleticism might play in tipping the scales in your favor when applying to a special college.

My son is passing on the DA club thing even though he could make to one of their teams - a few of his friends from his old town team (that he never left) are playing there and he's still just as good as them. But it seems that the better academic colleges/universities recruit mostly from overseas or just the best of the best in the US.

So he's running track instead. Seems like the odds of getting an admissions edge are better there.

His experience is that the xc kids take school more seriously than the fellows playing soccer.

Comment

Yes, you can play HS sports for the fun and camraderie but if you're a good athlete it's hard not to think a little bit about the role your athleticism might play in tipping the scales in your favor when applying to a special college.

My son is passing on the DA club thing even though he could make to one of their teams - a few of his friends from his old town team (that he never left) are playing there and he's still just as good as them. But it seems that the better academic colleges/universities recruit mostly from overseas or just the best of the best in the US.

So he's running track instead. Seems like the odds of getting an admissions edge are better there.

His experience is that the xc kids take school more seriously than the fellows playing soccer.
          I encourage anyone considering it to look at the rosters of schools that may be in your target range academically and what you may think athletically. See how many players come from outside the country or just mls da clubs. Also closely examine where club players end up playing. Then weigh that against what you're giving up in exchange for that, how much PT you'll realistically get etc. I works out for many players - but it doesn't work out often enough that some serious due diligence is in order.

Comment

Good point. I took a look at the MIT 2015 roster and was expecting to find a lot of players from Dublin or Copenhagen, but all were from US high schools. And then I looked at the bios of 4 of the kids (out of 30) that went to high schools I recognized as being in the NYC metro area AND NOT ONE had DA club membership listed. They were all HS players.

Obviously smart kids (or they'll get crushed with the workload) but HS soccer seemed good enough.

Comment

And then i took a look at Yale and the 3 kids whose schools I recognized did all play DA soccer during high school. And when i looked at their track team they were all state champions of some distance or event.

So I guess the top academic schools have different criteria. Yale certainly seems to look at what a kid's got on the mantel piece more than MIT.

And they my alma mater has got a soccer kid, local, who enjoys playing poker. Go Violets!

Comment

Awhile back I discovered on the MA board somebody takes all the boys commitments each year and posts them - commitments that are publicly known (so may not include all) regular clubs (if known), prep school (if known/applicable) and DA clubs. In MA it's Revs (MLS) Bolts and Seacoast (both non MLS). Below is 2016 and he's done it every year for 4-5 years I think.

He also analyzes each class when they start playing, which is also very enlightening. In summary at least 1/4 don't play at all freshman year, some get a few token minutes, some decent minutes, the remaining maybe 1/4 significant minutes. A good 1/3 aren't even on the rosters by junior year. Maybe 1/3 are playing and contributing by still. In other words, keep it in perspective - getting onto a roster is only part of the battle. You have prove yourself over and over again and the likelihood of staying on for 4 years and being a major contributor isn't great. You better love love love that school for the school, not the soccer

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showth...143079&page=59

D1

Adam French-NEFC-St Johns Shrews-BC
                Brandon Girard-NEFC-Philips Andover-BC
                Jack Bacon-NEFC-Pomfret-BC
                Jamie Rosiello-Pioneers-Pittsfield-BU
                Jerry Ozor-GPS- Milton Academy - BU
                Trevor Lyne-Suffield Academy-Bryant
                Diego Vargas-Cushing Academy-Campbell
                Frantzdy Pierrot-transfer-Northeastern-Coastal Carolina
                Jacob Harris-Rivers-Colgate
                Alex Botazzi-Benfica United-Worcester Academy-UConn
                Mutaya Mwape-Manhattan SC-Berkshire-UConn
                Zach Kalk-Vaughn Soccer Club-Berkshire-Dartmouth
                Nicholas Ainscough-Bolts-Canton-Delaware
                John Doran-FC Bolts Celtic-Canton-Duke
                Ifunanychi Achara-Chicago Magic-Berkshire-Georgetown
                Will Desautels-Nordic SC-NMH-George Washington
                Bobby Hurstak-FC Stars-Lincoln-Sudbury-Holy Cross
                Adam Bramson-GPS-Milton Academy-Lafayette
                Luca Levee-GPS-Milton Academy-Maryland
                Ceasar Adim-SF Vikings-Brooks-UMass
                Donnie Igo-FC Blazers-Needham-UMass
                Andrew Barrowman-Revs-Marshfield-UMass
                Christian LaBeck-Bolts-BC High-UMass
                Ibrahim Na-Aata-Nor'Easter-Durfee-UMass
                Luis Carvalho-Brockton-UMass
                Jordan Howard-Medford-UMass
                Bill Sinibaldi-Revs-Plaistow-UML
                Joe Kennett-NEFC-King Philip-UML
                Ben Nicholas-Transfer-UConn-Navy
                Bryant Nardizzi-Revs-Framingham-NC State
                John Wilkins-Revs-Natick-PC
                Imran Hayatu-Deen-Western United-Williston-Syracuse
                Ben Waithe-Revs-Plymouth-URI
                Nicolas Dutil-FC Stars-Cushing Academy-U Wisc Madison
                Alejandro Estrelles Hernanz-FC Stars-Cushing Academy-U Wisc Madison
                David Price-transfer-High Point-UVM*
                Aaron James-Revs-UVA
                Max Diamond-Revs-UVA
                Miguel Yuste-Manhattan PSG-NMH-Yale

D2
                Chris Romero-Bruno-Oliver Ames-Assumption
                Jason Lages-Martha's Vineyard Reg-Assumption
                Sammy Ferrera-GPS-Natick-Assumption
                Devante Teixeira-Foxboro-Southern Ct St
                Jon Lach-NEFC-Norton-SNHU
                Brendan Hughes-FC Stars-Billerica-Stonehill
                Keegan Nutt-NEFC-OA-Stonehill
                Danny Pereira-NEFC-Norton-Stonehill

D3

William Herman-Bolts-Dover Sherborn-Bowdoin
                Luke Lockwood-Blackrock FC-Berkshire-Bowdoin
                Dylan Hennessy-Manhattan PSG-NMH-Brandeis
                David Murphy-Bolts-Lawrence Academy- Brandeis
                Tyler Poritzky-GPS-Weston-Brandeis
                Nick Wigglesworth-Aztec Soccer-Waring-Brandeis
                Alex Dziadosz-SF Vikings-Phillips Andover-Carnegie Mellon
                Nick Bertand-Lighting SC-NMH-Case Western
                Nick Mazzarella- Liverpool-Pomfret School- Centre College
                Kyle Russo-FC Stars-Westford-Clark
                Avery Gibson-Blazers-Nobles-Colby
                Anthony Aquadro-Western United-Wiliston/NMH-Conn College
                Freddy Stokes-Oakwood-Hampshire Regional-Conn College
                Matt Knowlton-Aztec FC-Covenant College
                Santiago Cardona-Revs-Winthrop-Dean College
                Colin Cramer-Galway Rovers-Thayer-Denison
                Liam O'Shea-Liverpool FSC-Millbury-Endicott
                Corey Davide-Liverpool-BMR-Framingham St
                William Kelley-FC Stars-Westborough-Franklin and Marshall College
                Ezekiel Omonanya-NMH-Gettysburgh
                Sam Eaton-Bolts-Concord Carlisle-Hobart
                Binjo Emmanuel-Tabor-Hobart
                Kyle Patrick-Aztec Soccer-Waring-Hobart
                Brian Salazar -Bolts -BB&N-Hobart
                Cole Kroniger-FC Boston-Milton HS-Hamilton
                Aidan Wood-Aztec Soccer-Waring-Hamilton
                Cole Acocelli-Liverpool-Sutton-Keene St
                Dale Dubinsky-Liverpool-Sutton-Keene St
                John Penas-Berkshire-Kenyon College
                David Perry-Bolts-Xaverian-Lasell
                Andres Amador-Bolts -UMass Boston
                Aidan Carter-Bolts-Weymouth-Umass Boston
                Julio Dasilva-NE Rush-Malden-Umass Boston
                Jake Davenport-Scorpions-Weymouth-Umass Boston
                Rafael Desouza-NE Rush-Watertown-Umass Boston
                Sadraque Ferraz-Valeo-Randolph-Umass Boston
                Sandro van Kuijck-FC Blazers-Newton North-Umass Boston
                Nick Moore-GPS North Shore-Governor's-Macalester
                Shay Quintin-GPS-Milton Academy-Messiah
                Jeremy Cowham-Bolts,GPS-Milton Academy-MIT
                Thibault Lannoy-Hong Kong-Berkshire-Middlebury
                Shams Mohajerani-Bolts-Brookline-Middlebury
                Anthony Notaro-GPS Central-Leicester-Nichols
                Alex Grant-CSU-West Yarmouth-Norwich
                Ronaldo Powell-Nantucket-Norwich
                Griffin Burns-Hammer FC-Boston Latin-Oberlin
                Mario Marino-FC Blazers-Catholic Memorial-Ohio Wesleyan
                Cristian Baltier-Bolts-St Marks-Univ of Rochester
                Matthew Quick-Bolts-Saint John's-Univ of Rochester
                Mouhammed Thiam-NEFC-Andover-Univ of Rochester
                Edmund Geschickter-Bolts-Brookline-Roger Williams
                Larry Matt-Blackrock FC-Berkshire-Sewanee
                Alpo Sipila-Blackrock FC-Berkshire-Sewanee
                Darien Clay-Trinity-Newton-Sewanee
                Max Cottrell-GPS-Beaver Country Day-Trinity
                Zev Hattis-Bolts-Newton North-Tufts
                Daniel Sellers-Seacoast United-Newton South-Tufts
                Gavin Tasker-Middlesex-Tufts
                Zachary Beyloune-FC Stars-Lincoln Sudbury-Union College
                James Traficonte-Bolts-Natick-Union College
                Jon Graske-Baltimore Celtic-Berkshire-Washington U in St.Louis
                Drew DeCoste-NEFC-Somerset-Wentworth
                Matt White-Liverpool-Mount St Charles-Wentworth
                Ronaldinho Diaz-St.Andrew's (Ri)-NEFC-Wheaton
                Neil Fitzgerald-NMH-Wheaton
                Coby Goodrich-Lawrence Academy-Wheaton
                Jacob Keene-Silver Lake-CS United-Wheaton
                Brady Smith-Medway-NEFC-Wheaton
                Liam Setterlund-GPS-Wachusett-WPI
                Luke Lin dhole-Liverpool-Wachusett-WPI

Comment

This came up on the CT board - I read that sometimes also for DA news since this board is quiet and BOTN sucks. There is getting to be a bigger gap in talent and college placements between the MLS clubs and non MLS clubs. For example 4 former Oakwood players are playing Eastern CT State (a so-so school academically and soccer wise). Many of their teammates played state level club, not even EDP or NPL. Maybe that's exactly the school and level of play they wanted? Very well could be. But they clearly didn't need to give up HS soccer for that - they could have played club and HS and ended up at the same place

http://gowarriorathletics.com/sports...2016-17/roster

I don't mean to totally cra* on DA. My son plays (non MLS) and it has worked out for him. Our HS sucks but it still wasn't an easy choice for him. But I've seen enough very sad cases where it doesn't work out that I get knots in my stomach when parents of younger players ask me about our experience or the club. Honestly I hope that ENPL takes off. DA is too big for the amount of true talent we have in this country (and coaching talent as well). Giving players a large national platform to still play good soccer and be seen by college coaches - without giving up HS - I think is a good thing. It's too bad that now USSF is trying to do the same thing on the girls side. It isn't going to end up being what they thought

Comment

This came up on the CT board - I read that sometimes also for DA news since this board is quiet and BOTN sucks. There is getting to be a bigger gap in talent and college placements between the MLS clubs and non MLS clubs. For example 4 former Oakwood players are playing Eastern CT State (a so-so school academically and soccer wise). Many of their teammates played state level club, not even EDP or NPL. Maybe that's exactly the school and level of play they wanted? Very well could be. But they clearly didn't need to give up HS soccer for that - they could have played club and HS and ended up at the same place

http://gowarriorathletics.com/sports...2016-17/roster

I don't mean to totally cra* on DA. My son plays (non MLS) and it has worked out for him. Our HS sucks but it still wasn't an easy choice for him. But I've seen enough very sad cases where it doesn't work out that I get knots in my stomach when parents of younger players ask me about our experience or the club. Honestly I hope that ENPL takes off. DA is too big for the amount of true talent we have in this country (and coaching talent as well). Giving players a large national platform to still play good soccer and be seen by college coaches - without giving up HS - I think is a good thing. It's too bad that now USSF is trying to do the same thing on the girls side. It isn't going to end up being what they thought
                    Nice feedback. I always tell parents that there's a total of 9.9 for a fully funded division one men's soccer program. Most programs are 24-30 men. A lot of the cash will also go to foreign players. So the math is pretty bad even for DAP players.

If your kid isn't one of the top six players on the DAP team, your kid will have a hard time getting a large amount of scholarship money. With cost of some of these private schools that's a lot of cash to pay out of pocket. That's probably why some of the kids ended up at Eastern CT

Comment

Nice feedback. I always tell parents that there's a total of 9.9 for a fully funded division one men's soccer program. Most programs are 24-30 men. A lot of the cash will also go to foreign players. So the math is pretty bad even for DAP players.

If your kid isn't one of the top six players on the DAP team, your kid will have a hard time getting a large amount of scholarship money. With cost of some of these private schools that's a lot of cash to pay out of pocket. That's probably why some of the kids ended up at Eastern CT
                      That's 9.9 scholarships for a fully funded D1 men's soccer team

Comment

I've go no illusions of athletic $ - the amounts are anemic on the men's side anyway. The preference is for academic money because it's often times much higher for a good student and it sticks for all four years (athletic money is annually renewed). The frustrating part for many athletes is the number of foreign players out there. But to me that's also an indictment of the DA process. If the US was producing players just as good coaches would be taking them, not looking elsewhere.

Comment

I've go no illusions of athletic $ - the amounts are anemic on the men's side anyway. The preference is for academic money because it's often times much higher for a good student and it sticks for all four years (athletic money is annually renewed). The frustrating part for many athletes is the number of foreign players out there. But to me that's also an indictment of the DA process. If the US was producing players just as good coaches would be taking them, not looking elsewhere.
                          Good for you, Academic money is the best money

It's a global sport and coaches want to win. Hell the USSF allows non citizens to play DAP for those same reasons.

Comment

Second largest expansion of boys DAP

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/d...nouncement.pdf

Comment

College Commitments

http://www.ussoccerda.com/20170203-a...-for-fall-2017

Comment

Sure is a lot of variation by club - some fantastic programs and long lists at some (granted the teams are two years so some will have more seniors than others) but some are very short. Maybe they're just not complete. That said there's also plenty on here that are lackluster from a soccer standpoint and a lot of D3s, where the grades are far more important than soccer for admittance

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X