Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does playing Division 1 soccer limit you to certain majors in college?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    On this major, I also heard that some kids have to take classes all summer to make up for what was missed during the season. Not many kids want to go to school year around without a break.
    A lot of D1s athletes are in school over the summer. Like someone said that means internships or study abroad are probably out the window.

Comment

Would you please stop with your assault on D1 athletes? Enough already. There is nothing that stops a D1 athlete from studying what they want, they just have to want it enough. Not really all that different than the people who work a full time job and go to school in the evening. You have to be super motivated and willing to sacrifice. What do you think, everyone should just get what they want without having to work for it?
      What assault? people are sharing info. it's good to know where to help your kid since they have to make decisions early. stop being so cranky.

Super motivated doesn't help if the school you attend doesn't have the classes to help you become an architect, engineer, neurosurgeon, whatever you dream to become. And some don't.

Comment

A lot of D1s athletes are in school over the summer. Like someone said that means internships or study abroad are probably out the window.
        Taking a class or two for a few weeks and being at the school the entire summer is completely different. You never get to go home if you aren't close to home.

Comment

Taking a class or two for a few weeks and being at the school the entire summer is completely different. You never get to go home if you aren't close to home.
          That's what I was saying - they end up being at school all the time, trying to finish up. If you're getting good athletic money that might work financially for you. But in soccer, especially men's, the money isn't very good and being on a five year plan is well out of budget for many families.

Comment

That's what I was saying - they end up being at school all the time, trying to finish up. If you're getting good athletic money that might work financially for you. But in soccer, especially men's, the money isn't very good and being on a five year plan is well out of budget for many families.
            Exactly. Plus, you do miss them being around.

Comment

My daughter stopped playing in Div 3 after her sophomore year due to her major. She is required to clinicals on top of her class schedule. Made it nearly impossible to play soccer and graduate on time. Rather than graduate in 5 years if she continued to play soccer she choose the smart route (in my opinion) and just focused on school, to graduate in time.

This is just Division 3 and my other child plays Div 1 and it's a full-time job on top of schooling. It's not for everyone.
              Thank you for sharing. Every kid is different and every family has different situations as well. Not one size fits all in anything in life. Good luck to both of them.

Comment

There is nothing that stops a D1 athlete from studying what they want, they just have to want it enough.
                It's not always a matter of wanting it enough. 40% of the courses in a major my kid wanted to pursue were offered ONLY during practice times at one institution. Even staying an extra year would not have made it feasible to play soccer and pursue that major at that school.

Comment

It's not always a matter of wanting it enough. 40% of the courses in a major my kid wanted to pursue were offered ONLY during practice times at one institution. Even staying an extra year would not have made it feasible to play soccer and pursue that major at that school.
                  Some people can't see past their own noses. Not every school accommodates athletes (I heard it from a Stanford coach), in particular when you aren't football. Sometimes colleges do have classes/times built in to accommodate the football and basketball players; the money generators as far as revenue and donors. It just is what it is.

Comment

Would you please stop with your assault on D1 athletes? Enough already. There is nothing that stops a D1 athlete from studying what they want, they just have to want it enough. Not really all that different than the people who work a full time job and go to school in the evening. You have to be super motivated and willing to sacrifice. What do you think, everyone should just get what they want without having to work for it?
                    Wrong, Wrong, Wrong......

There are some majors which are impossible to do at certain schools. Or, with certain coaches.

Do your homework.

Comment

Specifically heard that it might not be possible to play Division 1 soccer and study something like exercise science with the goal of eventually becoming a physical therapist. Any actual knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
                      I am an engineering professor at a big school in Boston, and I've been the primary advisor for about 200 students over the years. Thus, I'm responding because my perspective is a little bit unique (not as a dad, but as an academic advisor with college athletes on the other side of the table). From what I can remember, I've advised 11 athletes. all but one either dropped out of engineering or quit their sport. I can't remember how many were soccer players, but it's about half. so, let's say 6, but all of my soccer players either quit the sport or dropped out of engineering. thus, this is a low sample size, but I think you still get the picture. At my university, I've never heard of a coach telling a player that they can't major in engineering. However, I've ALSO never heard of a coach that didn't warn every student athlete interested in majoring in engineering that it would be a monumental challenge. And those coaches are totally correct.

My perspective: I know how passionate these kids are about their sport, and it saddens me that they don't realize they have to make a choice about major v sport until after they're in college. You can imagine what I tell them is most important though....

good luck!

Comment

I am an engineering professor at a big school in Boston, and I've been the primary advisor for about 200 students over the years. Thus, I'm responding because my perspective is a little bit unique (not as a dad, but as an academic advisor with college athletes on the other side of the table). From what I can remember, I've advised 11 athletes. all but one either dropped out of engineering or quit their sport. I can't remember how many were soccer players, but it's about half. so, let's say 6, but all of my soccer players either quit the sport or dropped out of engineering. thus, this is a low sample size, but I think you still get the picture. At my university, I've never heard of a coach telling a player that they can't major in engineering. However, I've ALSO never heard of a coach that didn't warn every student athlete interested in majoring in engineering that it would be a monumental challenge. And those coaches are totally correct.

My perspective: I know how passionate these kids are about their sport, and it saddens me that they don't realize they have to make a choice about major v sport until after they're in college. You can imagine what I tell them is most important though....

good luck!
                        This is good information. Thank you.

The coach that warned me/my family didn't tell me that my child could not do it either, but said that some coaches may try to steer away from engineering. And that occurred even at this coach's school (a top soccer program/school) as you suggested...the monumental challenge it will take to be at practice, travel and get the work in/stay on top of everything; soccer and school without something slipping through the cracks.

Not impossible, but added pressure; a lot of added pressure.

Comment

This is good information. Thank you.

The coach that warned me/my family didn't tell me that my child could not do it either, but said that some coaches may try to steer away from engineering. And that occurred even at this coach's school (a top soccer program/school) as you suggested...the monumental challenge it will take to be at practice, travel and get the work in/stay on top of everything; soccer and school without something slipping through the cracks.

Not impossible, but added pressure; a lot of added pressure.
                          Is this different for guys vs. girls? You didn't say, but I am assuming your child is a male. I heard some girls programs try to accommodate because of the lack of women in engineering. I don't know if that is true, but was wondering if it is.

Comment

good luck!

Professor can you address the male vs. female question if you know or if there is any difference? Thank you for your input. Quite helpful.

Comment

Is this different for guys vs. girls? You didn't say, but I am assuming your child is a male. I heard some girls programs try to accommodate because of the lack of women in engineering. I don't know if that is true, but was wondering if it is.
                              Yes, it was in relation to my son. We had a discussion how some schools, accommodated certain athletes and their majors differently because they were revenue/donor generators. It was pretty eye opening, actually.

Comment

Yes, it was in relation to my son. We had a discussion how some schools, accommodated certain athletes and their majors differently because they were revenue/donor generators. It was pretty eye opening, actually.
                                Are they allowed to do this? I guess schools can do whatever they want as long as they walk the line of the law, but is the crossing it? How can the revenue producers (football and basketball) be accommodated differently as far as classes and availability? I would hope that the women basketball players are in this [while they aren't the bigger revenue producers] to not make it a clear cut sexist thing? This is 2019, right, not 1955. Unbelievable.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X