Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was encouraged for the future of the USMNT with the play of the U-20 team this past summer at the U-20 WC. They advanced out of group play and then got a marquee win against France. It was a gutsy effort after falling behind 2-1 in that match. I don't follow the French team so I don't know if they were lacking any star players but they still seemed like a quality side. The US team had a nice mix of guys with pace, touch and soccer IQ. They'll only be in their early 20's when the 2022 WC rolls around. Maybe Berhalter won't have enough confidence to go with many of them, we'll see. Certainly by 2026 the best players from that squad should be primed and ready to go.
    If Berhalter is still the coach a week from now then any further analysis of where the national is going is DOA.

Do I know who the coach should be? No. I don't follow the game nearly enough to have that knowledge.

I do, however, follow it close enough to know that Atlanta United and the Mexican national team knew who to pick to become overnight successes.

Comment

Not hijacking, but the USSF suck. The whole thing, men and yes women. The only difference is that the mens game is globally mature and the womens game is not.

The way they hire, coach and select players is flawed in both. Therr is no guarantee the women ever pay the same price the men do because of the commercial differences ie its not clear that anyone has a big enough incentive to really revolutionize womens soccer globally.

Make no mistake, its the same people making the same decisions. Its not a men vs women issue. The USSF are incompetent

Comment

Why do they continue to give Bradley any minutes. He will be 35 for the next World Cup!
        Zardes, Bradley .... Nepotism in US Soccer ... shocker!

Comment

I was encouraged for the future of the USMNT with the play of the U-20 team this past summer at the U-20 WC. They advanced out of group play and then got a marquee win against France. It was a gutsy effort after falling behind 2-1 in that match. I don't follow the French team so I don't know if they were lacking any star players but they still seemed like a quality side. The US team had a nice mix of guys with pace, touch and soccer IQ. They'll only be in their early 20's when the 2022 WC rolls around. Maybe Berhalter won't have enough confidence to go with many of them, we'll see. Certainly by 2026 the best players from that squad should be primed and ready to go.
          Looks like Project 2010 was off by a few years

Comment

I thought the same thing watching that U-20 WC game against France. It seemed the investments made in DA were paying off. But that USMNT game with Canada was a reality check and honestly USSF will f*ck this up like it always does.

Don’t disagree with other posters about youth level issues with culture, watching soccer, etc., but you can’t fix everything overnight and most of those issues take decades to fix. What can and must be addressed are the obvious things in front of us:

1) Berhalter must go. He’s a decent coach, but clearly not the one we need. It would also send the message that USSF is committed to ending nepotism, especially since his brother is in line to be CEO.
            2) We’ve got to stop aiming towards winning a WC at this point and concentrate on MAKING a WC. Berhalter’s system playing possession ball from the back may work against European teams, but clearly isn’t working against our Concacaf opponents, which we need to beat first. We need a different system that works in this hemisphere and THEN pick players who can execute it.
            3) Anyone who will be too old for the next WC should not be on the team. Bradley, Guzman, etc. are fine players, but not our future. (BTW, I love Carli Lloyd, but the same applies to USWNT.)
            4) The players we have are not the best we have in a given position. We have to stop sticking round pegs in square holes and invite the best player for each position onto the team.
            5) Players must stay on the team once selected. USSF must stop changing out the team every few months. It seems you can watch a series of friendlies and come back in 3-6 months and it’s an entirely different team. You cannot improve without consistency. Sure, if after 3-4 games it isn’t working make a change, but 80-90% of the team should be the same.

Comment

Folks, we are 15-20+ years into the club soccer phenomena and we are going backward.
              Players are less intelligent than ever.
              I firmly believe that we have coached all creativity out of our players.
              And the utter lack of actually watching the game is killing us-I don’t care how much you play, you must watch. It is the best tool we have. Period.
              Get rid of all our natl coaches and just have the players watch the best.
              They’ll figure it out

No more organized ball-just get them together and let them play. And I am not advocating a return to nostalgic pick up in the park.
              Definitive time for free play after some technical training only.
              The cream will rise to the top and we can begin to train them as they age.
              The game is not complicated

Seriously you need to relax. As does everyone. Look at the starting line for the game. Of the top 20 players the US has only about 5 or 6 of them played in this game. The US has some serious young talent. As someone pointed out the U20 mens team showing was very encouraging. Not sure why these players played above other options but I am sure club interests game in to account as well. This was a Gold Cup qualifying match, which if you don't know, the US has already qualified for since they are the host nation. Lets get in to the WC qualifying matches before we start losing our collective minds here.

Comment

Seriously you need to relax. As does everyone. Look at the starting line for the game. Of the top 20 players the US has only about 5 or 6 of them played in this game. The US has some serious young talent. As someone pointed out the U20 mens team showing was very encouraging. Not sure why these players played above other options but I am sure club interests game in to account as well. This was a Gold Cup qualifying match, which if you don't know, the US has already qualified for since they are the host nation. Lets get in to the WC qualifying matches before we start losing our collective minds here.
                Apologist with excuses
                Exactly why we are not getting better

Comment

Nonsense! Pulisic, Sargent, etc. who we are pinning are hopes on were on that field against f*cking CANADA that has only 1 or 2 really good players and they blew it. We haven’t dropped a game to Canada since 1985! We should have won easily, but that is the pattern now. We are struggling with Curaçao, Jamaica, and losing to Mexico in the Gold Cup final. And we haven’t even gotten to the really good European, African, and Asian teams yet! If you’re not worried yet, you have your head in the sand like USSF.

Comment

Nonsense! Pulisic, Sargent, etc. who we are pinning are hopes on were on that field against f*cking CANADA that has only 1 or 2 really good players and they blew it. We haven’t dropped a game to Canada since 1985! We should have won easily, but that is the pattern now. We are struggling with Curaçao, Jamaica, and losing to Mexico in the Gold Cup final. And we haven’t even gotten to the really good European, African, and Asian teams yet! If you’re not worried yet, you have your head in the sand like USSF.
                    Pullisic played 60 minutes of the game, and they weren't solid minutes. Sargeant was stuck making long runs out of the back as the team pushed forward. If he got to the ball he had no juice left to be creative. The US was so focused on stopping Davies, who if you didn't know, is as good as many European players. And again, 5 out of the top 20 players were playing. That includes sargent, McKinney, pulisic, stefon and Yedlin. Their defense wasn't solid, their midfield was atrocious. Coaching, he is overmatched and will be replaced before the WC. Does that sound like an apologist or a realist?

Comment

Pullisic played 60 minutes of the game, and they weren't solid minutes. Sargeant was stuck making long runs out of the back as the team pushed forward. If he got to the ball he had no juice left to be creative. The US was so focused on stopping Davies, who if you didn't know, is as good as many European players. And again, 5 out of the top 20 players were playing. That includes sargent, McKinney, pulisic, stefon and Yedlin. Their defense wasn't solid, their midfield was atrocious. Coaching, he is overmatched and will be replaced before the WC. Does that sound like an apologist or a realist?
                      British press is reporting Pulisic was in tears after being subbed vs Canada.
                      That should certainly help him get more playing time at Chelsea. (Lol)
                      It’s all about the jersey sales, anyway

Comment

Yedlin. Very symbolic of US soccer.

Comment

British press is reporting Pulisic was in tears after being subbed vs Canada.
                          That should certainly help him get more playing time at Chelsea. (Lol)
                          It’s all about the jersey sales, anyway
                          Excellent, your true colors show now.

Comment

Excellent, your true colors show now.
                            He is not that good. Chelsea make a big dumb mistake buying him. He cannot get into the starting 11 for the blues. I am laughing because this was predictible and to think you people thought he was Hazard.

Comment

Yes, it does. Go back to your post #21 where you talk about not worrying because the US is the host country. That says all we need to know about you.

Comment

Yes, it does. Go back to your post #21 where you talk about not worrying because the US is the host country. That says all we need to know about you.
                                That's interesting. So let me ask, you are concerned about the US making the Gold Cup? If you are that's concerning considering they are the host nation, which gives them an automatic bid regardless of their results. That's not to say there shouldn't be a general concern that they need to get their crap together, because they do. But the Canadian game was insignificant and not a reflection on the state of US Soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X