Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Both NEFC and GPS seemed to be able to find places to train year round. Since Surf is basically those two clubs combined, it's likely they would be able to continue that. And actually, where it was two clubs vying for places to train before, and now it's only one larger club, they probably have more flexibility in use of facilities.
    Big club consisting of only players that did not leave. Many strong players at the U11-U14 level age groups left for higher level options elsewhere. Will EDP provide such great competition that the remaining good players will sign up for long term? Also, just applying to big national tournaments does not guarantee they will get in. You're not elite because you said so! Even big tournaments they do get accepted, they will be in very low divisions. If you are following your coach into this that is fine, but the reality is it will take time for this to build and it is your child's development in the balance.

Comment

So are you saying that all the clubs playing DPL such as Bayside , NEFC, Liverpool will be playing in a higher level than Surf? Why ould any competitive player want to play at a lower level than what is listed? Save money and play town travel.

Comment

DPL - Spirit of Liverpool, BEST FC, Liverpool, SSS second and third teams, Aztec. This is so, so average. At least in the NPL, there was promotion and relegation, meaning the weak were phased out and stronger teams could work their way up. Why have NEFC not put their West region in? So much stronger than some of those teams.

There is life and soccer outside of MA, and not too far away, either.

Comment

DPL - Spirit of Liverpool, BEST FC, Liverpool, SSS second and third teams, Aztec. This is so, so average. At least in the NPL, there was promotion and relegation, meaning the weak were phased out and stronger teams could work their way up. Why have NEFC not put their West region in? So much stronger than some of those teams.

There is life and soccer outside of MA, and not too far away, either.
          You forgot to mention Bayside they are bragging about being in DPL too. So for most parents they have no clue what any of this means. Clubs are boasting DPL. But no good?
          DPL is also for the girls ages 13 and up. What about the u13 kids what league are they in?

Comment

Big club consisting of only players that did not leave. Many strong players at the U11-U14 level age groups left for higher level options elsewhere. Will EDP provide such great competition that the remaining good players will sign up for long term? Also, just applying to big national tournaments does not guarantee they will get in. You're not elite because you said so! Even big tournaments they do get accepted, they will be in very low divisions. If you are following your coach into this that is fine, but the reality is it will take time for this to build and it is your child's development in the balance.
            We followed coaches because of the development we've seen in our kids, and see no reason that wouldn't continue. If league competition turns out to be crap, that will be a concern, but for now we're cautiously optimistic.

Comment

We followed coaches because of the development we've seen in our kids, and see no reason that wouldn't continue. If league competition turns out to be crap, that will be a concern, but for now we're cautiously optimistic.
              You KNOW that the league will be crap...but you follow the coach? A good coach would not move to a club that plays in a sub par league. Careful about your loyalty to a coach, you have no idea how many players have made that mistake. Is the coach paying for your child's college education?? Take a step back. Your coach is following the paycheck but you paying a club so you can following the coach...right into a crap league...

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2749090]You KNOW that the league will be crap...but you follow the coach? A good coach would not move to a club that plays in a sub par league. Careful about your loyalty to a coach, you have no idea how many players have made that mistake. Is the coach paying for your child's college education?? Take a step back. Your coach is following the paycheck but you paying a club so you can following the coach...right into a crap league...[/QUOTE

I hate to point out the painstakingly obvious...the majority of these kids playing will not be getting scholarships to play in college. Not to say that they won’t PLAY in college, but their way will not be paid. For girls, 9.7% of graduating seniors will go on to play at ANY level of college soccer from D1-Junior college. Only 2.3% will play D1. Those are percentages based on high school soccer players, not even accounting for the more limited funnel of your club team. Of that approximately 10% of players who will even go on to play beyond high school, there are limits of scholarships that teams can hand out based on NCAA rules. For instance, girls programs have a higher limit than boys, and can only give out 14 per team per year at the D1 level. I really hope you understand the point. There are very limited opportunities for your child’s education to paid for by soccer, even if they are an exceptional player.

You have ten months a year to spend with the team you pick. For many of us with multiple kids in these clubs, you are probably looking at a 6-7 day per week commitment for that time period. What I’m driving at is that in reality, your decisions should be based on who you can stand for ten months with parent and player groups, a coach you can trust to train your child well and advocate for them to the best of their ability, and sustainability for practice and game logistics for travel etc. You obviously want your child playing in a decent league and having decent team members to work with, but you need to do your best to satisfy all of the above qualities in a club in my opinion. One of my kids has not always been on the best team available to us in the area, but his coach has always given him excellent training and has advocated for him to the fullest. For this reason, he has competed both nationally and internationally for several years and had very good experiences with it.

With that being said, this is a multidimensional decision that needs to fit your family. People really need to get a grip.

Source for the stats above:
                https://www.ncsasports.org/womens-soccer/scholarships

Comment

You KNOW that the league will be crap...but you follow the coach? A good coach would not move to a club that plays in a sub par league. Careful about your loyalty to a coach, you have no idea how many players have made that mistake. Is the coach paying for your child's college education?? Take a step back. Your coach is following the paycheck but you paying a club so you can following the coach...right into a crap league...
                  No, I don't KNOW that the league will be crap. I know if MIGHT be crap, depending on what teams my kids end up playing against. I looked at the teams in year group I'm concerned with, and by all appearances, there are some strong teams from CT. So we'll see. Not like I was going to put my kids at Bayside. They don't like the idea of screaming coaches and I don't like sharing the sideline with screaming parents.

And I find it hilarious that you think soccer is some golden ticket to a free education.

Comment

No, I don't KNOW that the league will be crap. I know if MIGHT be crap, depending on what teams my kids end up playing against. I looked at the teams in year group I'm concerned with, and by all appearances, there are some strong teams from CT. So we'll see. Not like I was going to put my kids at Bayside. They don't like the idea of screaming coaches and I don't like sharing the sideline with screaming parents.

And I find it hilarious that you think soccer is some golden ticket to a free education.
                    nobody mentioned golden tickets,this was the quote, "Is the coach paying for your child's college education??" Obviously it is up to the family to pay for education and very few scholarships. the comment was about questioning the following of a coach, it could have been said, would you follow your kids coach off of a cliff? Just watch how much you follow coaches.

Comment

nobody mentioned golden tickets,this was the quote, "Is the coach paying for your child's college education??" Obviously it is up to the family to pay for education and very few scholarships. the comment was about questioning the following of a coach, it could have been said, would you follow your kids coach off of a cliff? Just watch how much you follow coaches.
                      Chasing a coach is not wise. The coaches come and go. Some leave mid-season or switch teams mid-season. Not great to keep one coach throughout the whole youth time.

Comment

Chasing a coach is not wise. The coaches come and go. Some leave mid-season or switch teams mid-season. Not great to keep one coach throughout the whole youth time.
                        Especially those on visas. And visas which are under investigation for forging docs to obtain their visas like certain people who’ve jumped to surf. Yikes.

Comment

Especially those on visas. And visas which are under investigation for forging docs to obtain their visas like certain people who’ve jumped to surf. Yikes.
                          I actually heard this as well. JF's visa being looked in to as docs were forged to get it.

Comment

I actually heard this as well. JF's visa being looked in to as docs were forged to get it.
                            Can anyone confirm that surf is delaying starting until fall 2021? Getting mixed messages. TC says they are delaying starting up due to in person virus tryout issues and some final legal obstacles. Surf itself is giving mixed messages.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X