Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDA Coaching Assignments - Was This Thought Out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am not the OP but I'll answer. Not a coach at all and not a parent affiliated with academy or ECNL. My DD plays on an alliance team and we are geographically far away so aren't losing players to either ECNL or academy. If anything academy benefits us as it may weaken some of our competition.

In spite of all that I do not like or support what academy has done so far. It seems like stereotypical bait and switch. Promise 4 practices a week, deliver 2-3. Promise one game per weekend, deliver double headers. Promise a new and improved development philosophy...and I see absolutely nothing different or better than what my DD's team is doing. Academy players may be better. They may win more games. But it's the same old same old wrapped in a shiny new package. As a consumer that bothers me even though it doesn't directly impact me. Does that answer your question?
    If you live further away then how do you know about 'promises' and the current training?

The GDA is a completely separate entity and has nothing whatsoever to do with Alliance clubs. Alliance clubs lost players to the TA as did other clubs. Likely the same for this year.

As a consumer, you are better served by a focus on your DD's choices. It doesn't sound like the TA, GDA, or ECNL were of interest anyhow.

Comment

Not OP, but there are so many reasons to dislike the Timbers - greedy, conniving, conflicts' filled, poor follow through, kind of totalitarian - don't really know where to begin.

However, the GDA has some really interesting pieces: there are a bunch of high and mighty absolutes from the Federation as to how a team/league should be run pronounced by bureaucrats. One could certainly ask for the empirical basis for their absolutism; however, they are some coaches who genuinely believe in them. Fine.

No daughter in the ECNL, just genuinely dislike the Timbers.

signed,

many people

Yet, the GDA as rolled out and in this case with respect to the Thorns, seems to be deviated mightily from many of those "rules".

So, really there are many, many reasons to dislike the Thorns Academy.
      I'm not seeing many reasons if based on your comments. I know one of the TA/GDA coaches from his Westside, LO and Jesuit coaching. I know how tough he is and what an excellent coach he is for his teams. I also know that he is there solely for his players and not their parents.

There are program offerings for all families. Pick what works for you.
      Many of us are not on here trash-talking clubs or programs.

Comment

Who is coaching the 03 girls??

Comment

Trump

Comment

Does it matter? All Thornz Asylum coaches are bad. Always have been, always will be.

Comment

If you live further away then how do you know about 'promises' and the current training?

The GDA is a completely separate entity and has nothing whatsoever to do with Alliance clubs. Alliance clubs lost players to the TA as did other clubs. Likely the same for this year.

As a consumer, you are better served by a focus on your DD's choices. It doesn't sound like the TA, GDA, or ECNL were of interest anyhow.
              OP here. I know about the promises because my daughter did ODP and I had to sit through a GDA sales pitch every time she trained. Those sales pitches included all of the bait and switch promises I detailed in my OP (number of practices per week, practice to game ratio, etc). None of the things they promised are close to what the printed material that I received as an email says. So I think I am qualified to say yes, they ran a high pressure sales pitch on ODP families all year. What felt like the most egregious to me was the persistent theme of "you must do GDA to get to the next level." I am an adult and very capable of handling a sales pitch. I've shopped for used cars and I know when I'm being played. My child is 14 and does not. And the coaches she trusted made her feel like her entire soccer future was in jeopardy if she didn't join academy. This is reprehensible in my opinion. You expect TA clubs to happily turn over their best players and you thank them by telling your captive audience those TA clubs are ruining the girls' soccer futures. All to form a team that, if you're really really lucky, maybe, just maybe, will send one kid to a national camp. Absolutely shameful.

Comment

OP here. I know about the promises because my daughter did ODP and I had to sit through a GDA sales pitch every time she trained. Those sales pitches included all of the bait and switch promises I detailed in my OP (number of practices per week, practice to game ratio, etc). None of the things they promised are close to what the printed material that I received as an email says. So I think I am qualified to say yes, they ran a high pressure sales pitch on ODP families all year. What felt like the most egregious to me was the persistent theme of "you must do GDA to get to the next level." I am an adult and very capable of handling a sales pitch. I've shopped for used cars and I know when I'm being played. My child is 14 and does not. And the coaches she trusted made her feel like her entire soccer future was in jeopardy if she didn't join academy. This is reprehensible in my opinion. You expect TA clubs to happily turn over their best players and you thank them by telling your captive audience those TA clubs are ruining the girls' soccer futures. All to form a team that, if you're really really lucky, maybe, just maybe, will send one kid to a national camp. Absolutely shameful.
                Good conversation points. During the long winded ODP/GDA sales pitched I looked at one of my DDs in attendance and she gave me the 'smirk' look. In others words, she wasn't biting off what was being fed robotically. I think most of our girls understand while its nice to think they'll be rooming with Tobin Heath on road trips all over the globe, they know that in reality those things won't happen. The script is just a script, many of which they'll get to see as they apply to colleges and jobs and get to decipher the real from the chaff one process at a time.

Comment

Good conversation points. During the long winded ODP/GDA sales pitched I looked at one of my DDs in attendance and she gave me the 'smirk' look. In others words, she wasn't biting off what was being fed robotically. I think most of our girls understand while its nice to think they'll be rooming with Tobin Heath on road trips all over the globe, they know that in reality those things won't happen. The script is just a script, many of which they'll get to see as they apply to colleges and jobs and get to decipher the real from the chaff one process at a time.
                  To each his own. A lot of girls see this as an exciting new adventure 🙂

Comment

In other words...

Your DD was cut! Sorry!
                    I hope she finds a team that fits her needs and ability.

Comment

Your DD was cut! Sorry!
                      I hope she finds a team that fits her needs and ability.
                      Wrong. She actually did try out last year and was offered a spot on the 01/02 team but turned it down. She did not try out this year. But keep dismissing valid concerns about the program you support. It makes you look really stupid and we all enjoy the laugh.

Comment

The snaky thorns people that go around and try to fool people makes them almost as bad as the Ecnl nut jobs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X