Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reign FC moving to Tacoma. What happens to Reign Academy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    In 2 years, the Reign were able to develop a half dozen girls to the national team level. They must have some truly amazing coaches.
    This is what Americans truly do not get . The coaches are very minimal in the development of a player . You can not turn water into wine ! The player either has the talent or does not . Then it’s all about environment and getting given the chance . I see most of these premier clubs as churning out little robots where everyone can do the basics but none are truly exceptional .

Comment

This is what Americans truly do not get . The coaches are very minimal in the development of a player . You can not turn water into wine ! The player either has the talent or does not . Then it’s all about environment and getting given the chance . I see most of these premier clubs as churning out little robots where everyone can do the basics but none are truly exceptional .
      Which league is US Soccer promoting? Maybe GDA?

What professional league is sponsored by US Soccer? Maybe NWSL?

Where does Tracey Kevins coach now? How about the U15 national team.

Is it really environment or a little politics??

Comment

Mudslinging/sour grapes from disgruntled parents who have since left Reign?...

No club works for everybody and that is why some stay and some leave. These same issues described in posts are echoed by some at every club in the area..

Happy for the author that they found a better option for their player.
        Sad for the author that they still feel like they have an axe to grind.

Anonymous personal attacks on coaches (abbreviations are obvious in this case) say more about the author of the post then the person being attacked.

For those that want to play high school soccer, 5 clubs in the area now provide an “elite” club experience for the players to participate in for other 8 months of the year.

For those interested in a unique year round training academy as has been described in prior posts, give Reign a try. While Reign is not for everybody , it is truly extraordinary that in two years, a half dozen girls in this system have had national team camp opportunities. It is not a coincidence. No other clubs in the area have seen this type of conversion. Now that Reign is independent, there is dire need for other clubs to try to end it and maintain market share. What is wrong with choice? Join or not? No need for bashing ...
        What choice? Is there going to be some announcement
        that Reign DA found a new sponsor and funding?
        Better hurry up because tryouts are coming soon.

Comment

Mudslinging/sour grapes from disgruntled parents who have since left Reign?...

No club works for everybody and that is why some stay and some leave. These same issues described in posts are echoed by some at every club in the area..

Happy for the author that they found a better option for their player.
          Sad for the author that they still feel like they have an axe to grind.

Anonymous personal attacks on coaches (abbreviations are obvious in this case) say more about the author of the post then the person being attacked.

For those that want to play high school soccer, 5 clubs in the area now provide an “elite” club experience for the players to participate in for other 8 months of the year.

For those interested in a unique year round training academy as has been described in prior posts, give Reign a try. While Reign is not for everybody , it is truly extraordinary that in two years, a half dozen girls in this system have had national team camp opportunities. It is not a coincidence. No other clubs in the area have seen this type of conversion. Now that Reign is independent, there is dire need for other clubs to try to end it and maintain market share. What is wrong with choice? Join or not? No need for bashing ...
          Yes, it's great that Reign players are getting national team call ins. That's something to be proud of. But we all know that bulk of kids in the DA system will never get that national camp call up. So my question remains: what is the organization's responsibility to those other players who are paying the same amount in team fees? Is there a commitment to maximizing every player's development, or are the rest of the kids' there just to give the stars of the moment someone to train with? Yes, this is a problem at every club...but DA pulls in the top talent with a promise of development and a lot of talent gets lost. This is an issue for Reign, and the entire DA system.

Comment

Yes, it's great that Reign players are getting national team call ins. That's something to be proud of. But we all know that bulk of kids in the DA system will never get that national camp call up. So my question remains: what is the organization's responsibility to those other players who are paying the same amount in team fees? Is there a commitment to maximizing every player's development, or are the rest of the kids' there just to give the stars of the moment someone to train with? Yes, this is a problem at every club...but DA pulls in the top talent with a promise of development and a lot of talent gets lost. This is an issue for Reign, and the entire DA system.
            Thank you for this post as it accurately describes the nature of competitive athletics - not everyone gets a trophy.
            There are now 5 ECNL clubs in the area that are an option for girls. Each club with 18 “elite” players per age group (that makes 90 “elite” players per age group in this league!) that can each wear a patch on their sleeves calling themselves “elite”. With this option, we will have the opportunity to watch all 90 of these girls “develop” equally. Everyone wins?

Comment

You get an opportunity to compete. I don't really hear any complaints about coaching at the Reign. You are the customer and are paying a lot of money. If the Reign or any club not delivering what they promised then you are free to spend your money elsewhere.

Look at the rules for DA. It is not set up so that everyone gets equal playing time.

Comment

You get an opportunity to compete. I don't really hear any complaints about coaching at the Reign. You are the customer and are paying a lot of money. If the Reign or any club not delivering what they promised then you are free to spend your money elsewhere.

Look at the rules for DA. It is not set up so that everyone gets equal playing time.
                First of all, there are multiple coaches at Reign, so one person's experience with coaches for one team may not be what's going on from other teams. if the problems are just with a couple of coaches, that news may not reach the public because not as many kids impacted. But be real: at the Reign level, intense soccer parents are not going to complain publicly and have their kid suffer. When parents were rumored to complain to one another, they got angry emails back from the director. The "stars" sure won't complain because they get better treatment.

If your kid reaches that level of soccer you know playing time is not demanded, it's earned. You know the DA sub rules going in. I thought that all kids would be evaluated fairly and helped to reach full potential because ever girl on every Reign team is very talented. unless you believe what somebody else posted that Reign will "take anyone." I don't believe that. I see talented kids being discouraged since TK left.

Also true that some coaches and players work better together. A great coach for one kid may not be a good coach for another. Reign works for a lot of kids. Nobody should decide on their daughter's team based on anonymous comments, but obviously I'm one parent who left unhappy. ECNL has worked out great. It's good to have options.

Comment

First of all, there are multiple coaches at Reign, so one person's experience with coaches for one team may not be what's going on from other teams. if the problems are just with a couple of coaches, that news may not reach the public because not as many kids impacted. But be real: at the Reign level, intense soccer parents are not going to complain publicly and have their kid suffer. When parents were rumored to complain to one another, they got angry emails back from the director. The "stars" sure won't complain because they get better treatment.

If your kid reaches that level of soccer you know playing time is not demanded, it's earned. You know the DA sub rules going in. I thought that all kids would be evaluated fairly and helped to reach full potential because ever girl on every Reign team is very talented. unless you believe what somebody else posted that Reign will "take anyone." I don't believe that. I see talented kids being discouraged since TK left.

Also true that some coaches and players work better together. A great coach for one kid may not be a good coach for another. Reign works for a lot of kids. Nobody should decide on their daughter's team based on anonymous comments, but obviously I'm one parent who left unhappy. ECNL has worked out great. It's good to have options.
                  Yep you should be allowed to move your daughter (and your wallet) wherever you see fit ! You are a customer after all .

Comment

Heard that Reign has funding for next year 2019-2020.
                    Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Heard that Reign has funding for next year 2019-2020.
                      Can anyone confirm this?
                      The Reign have repeatedly said, in writing, that they are 100% committed to 2019/2020 and beyond, and that the academy teams will continue to alternate practice locations between Seattle and the Eastside. It doesn’t take a lot of math to figure out that a big chunk of the program expense is covered by the program fees, USSF supports some scholarships in DA, and the first team’s cash flow situation will likely be a lot better in Tacoma than it was at Memorial. Their academy teams remain solid, and they continue to attract strong new players. The DA has its issues, and its model isn’t for everyone (particularly multi-sport athletes or those who put a premium on playing in high school), but there are a lot of happy kids and families in the program. A lot of the other stuff being said around here is just FUD, fake news, and sour grapes.

Comment

The Reign have repeatedly said, in writing, that they are 100% committed to 2019/2020 and beyond, and that the academy teams will continue to alternate practice locations between Seattle and the Eastside. It doesn’t take a lot of math to figure out that a big chunk of the program expense is covered by the program fees, USSF supports some scholarships in DA, and the first team’s cash flow situation will likely be a lot better in Tacoma than it was at Memorial. Their academy teams remain solid, and they continue to attract strong new players. The DA has its issues, and its model isn’t for everyone (particularly multi-sport athletes or those who put a premium on playing in high school), but there are a lot of happy kids and families in the program. A lot of the other stuff being said around here is just FUD, fake news, and sour grapes.
                        I think what the Reign have done is cool, from afar. When someone asks about funding, I'm not sure what that means in this case; pay-to-play means if they have paying families, they have funding.

One part I didn't follow though is your math on programming - curious what families paid this year, all-in, and what they will be projected to pay next year. Xfire has funded some of their teams, but there are a bunch of caveats and requirements. Just curious what a typical Reign family paid this year and what they will pay next year. Mostly trying to gauge program costs across GDA, ECNL, and WYSA (for teams that travel).

Comment

I think what the Reign have done is cool, from afar. When someone asks about funding, I'm not sure what that means in this case; pay-to-play means if they have paying families, they have funding.

One part I didn't follow though is your math on programming - curious what families paid this year, all-in, and what they will be projected to pay next year. Xfire has funded some of their teams, but there are a bunch of caveats and requirements. Just curious what a typical Reign family paid this year and what they will pay next year. Mostly trying to gauge program costs across GDA, ECNL, and WYSA (for teams that travel).
                          Reign is about $8500, inclusive of travel costs. I believe SU, Pac, XF and WPFC ECNL have been about the same; top level teams from Rush or Surf playing in National League + surf cup + some winter showcase cost about the same as well. XF DA was largely if not entirely subsidized the past couple years, but it sounds like next year they will be covering ECNL travel costs only with a contribution from what the rake in from all the other clubs in the state in tournament fees and their b-d team families. XF’s subsidies haven’t kept Reign from getting and keeping quite a few players that any club would want; I’m sure the subsidies have helped them retain quite a few players too.

Reign, like all the other clubs, has financial aid. US Soccer also has a separate DA scholarship program that it funds directly; I’m not sure whether that program is entirely need-based. I’m sure there are a lot of families who wouldn’t qualify for financial aid who can’t stomach paying $8500 for kids’ soccer (whether financially or just as a matter of family priorities), and that pay-to-play of this magnitude dilutes the quality of the player pool this country is developing, but that’s a much broader problem that no one seems to be addressing in any meaningful fashion.

Comment

Reign is about $8500, inclusive of travel costs. I believe SU, Pac, XF and WPFC ECNL have been about the same; top level teams from Rush or Surf playing in National League + surf cup + some winter showcase cost about the same as well. XF DA was largely if not entirely subsidized the past couple years, but it sounds like next year they will be covering ECNL travel costs only with a contribution from what the rake in from all the other clubs in the state in tournament fees and their b-d team families. XF’s subsidies haven’t kept Reign from getting and keeping quite a few players that any club would want; I’m sure the subsidies have helped them retain quite a few players too.

Reign, like all the other clubs, has financial aid. US Soccer also has a separate DA scholarship program that it funds directly; I’m not sure whether that program is entirely need-based. I’m sure there are a lot of families who wouldn’t qualify for financial aid who can’t stomach paying $8500 for kids’ soccer (whether financially or just as a matter of family priorities), and that pay-to-play of this magnitude dilutes the quality of the player pool this country is developing, but that’s a much broader problem that no one seems to be addressing in any meaningful fashion.
                            Thank you that is very helpful

Comment

The cost is mostly in the travel. It is a problem that US Soccer made worse by creating the girl's DA because your club season is now longer which means more travel games.

If all the value is in the training then there has to be a cheaper way to get in meaningful games. As it is right now, every away game (that is not to Portland) is about $300 to $500 per game.

Comment

The turkeys will never vote for thanks giving !

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X