X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Google is your friend https://www.nyclubsoccerleague.com/h...excellence.asp

If your kid makes it, then you find out the price.
    anyone know how much it is for the season from experience. When they financial aid is available to pay for it I am thinking it will be another mortgage payment

Comment

anyone know how much it is for the season from experience. When they financial aid is available to pay for it I am thinking it will be another mortgage payment
      Fall was $370 ($30 for tryout $340 balance) for 8 sessions.

Also need to buy PDP uniform (another $50 or so IIRC).

Training is worth the $ if u can swing.

Comment

Fall was $370 ($30 for tryout $340 balance) for 8 sessions.

Also need to buy PDP uniform (another $50 or so IIRC).

Training is worth the $ if u can swing.
        $370 ... so you're paying $45 for a 90 minute session where it's your son with another 25 players and one coach.

The training may indeed be very good but the fellow is getting $750 an hour ?

I guess piano lessons are expensive also but there you're getting one on one training ... you don't get that at a soccer lesson ... i.e. the expert teacher is not watching how your son dips his shoulder as he bends running between cones or whether he's positioning his body correctly while volleying.

I'm sure it's better than what you might get at a town practice by some UK never-made-it-as-a-player fellow spending a couple of years in the states but really shows how strong marketing can be.

A few years ago the NYCSL PDF monthly sessions were free but the trainers there weren't paid. ...

Comment

$370 ... so you're paying $45 for a 90 minute session where it's your son with another 25 players and one coach.

I guess piano lessons are expensive also but there you're getting one on one training ... you don't get that at a soccer lesson ... i.e. the expert teacher is not watching how your son dips his shoulder as he bends running between cones or whether he's positioning his body correctly while volleying.

I'm sure it's better than what you might get at a town practice by some UK never-made-it-as-a-player fellow spending a couple of years in the states but really shows how strong marketing can be.

A few years ago the NYCSL PDF monthly sessions were free but the trainers there weren't paid. ...
          It is not cheap but it is good supplemental training. No one is required to participate.

Private soccer trainers can also be hired and there are some good ones. Don't think they will be a lot cheaper.

There are good videos out there as well that a player can make use of to improve. Red bulls have a series but there are many others.

Comment

the PDP sessions are free but a more selective group. i was referring to ctr of excellence (which confusingly is the pay-to-play side of PDP).

yeah economics are skewed but getting top 1-2 players from a dozen teams together makes for hi level practices - great for ulittles i think. i should have added YMMV!

Comment

the trainers are far above average, at least the ones my kid has had. A private coaching session will run you $65-$100 per hour. The coach isn't getting that money, just a salary of some sort. There are facility rentals of course as well. The rest probably goes to cover costs of the free-to-play program for uber players.

Comment

the PDP sessions are free but a more selective group. i was referring to ctr of excellence (which confusingly is the pay-to-play side of PDP).

yeah economics are skewed but getting top 1-2 players from a dozen teams together makes for hi level practices - great for ulittles i think. i should have added YMMV!
                I think this may be key information if I understand this correctly. Most people hear are talking about Center of Excellence which NYCSL uses some confusing language about Centers of Excellence

Is there a separate actual PDP that is free that is for ID2 identification? And also are there other routes for PDP identification that are free? (confused because what I thought was the US Youth soccer ODP program cost money but US Club soccer PDP (which is still technically an ODP) was free..

Comment

I think this may be key information if I understand this correctly. Most people hear are talking about Center of Excellence which NYCSL uses some confusing language about Centers of Excellence

Is there a separate actual PDP that is free that is for ID2 identification? And also are there other routes for PDP identification that are free? (confused because what I thought was the US Youth soccer ODP program cost money but US Club soccer PDP (which is still technically an ODP) was free..
                  Please take a look at the NYCSL website or contact John Curtis directly. Info on an anonymous chat site isn't always going to be reliable

Comment

I can maybe clarify for you...

The PDP program is free and consists of monthly trainings that are invite only. In order to participate in these sessions, a kid must either be recommended by their DOC (and then accepted by PDP staff) or recommended by opposing coaches through "player of the game" votes which are recorded after every game. Each coach "votes" for 1 player from their own team and 2 players from the opposing team. If a kid's name keeps showing up week after week, they will receive an invite to the monthly PDP sessions.

Center of Excellence is a weekly training session that is NOT free and kids can be invited to attend, invited to try out or just show up to tryouts. The training is very similar but the talent pool is not as "exclusive". But, we have seen some kids be selected (by PDP staff) for monthly training sessions and Select Squad events via Center of Excellence participation.

Select Squad is primarily chosen from the monthly PDP events. Of the 35ish kids per gender/age group that attend the monthly PDP, the top 12-18 kids participate in Select Squad events-I.E. tournaments, residential camps, European trips etc. Those events are not free and usually require travel and lodging, but they are discounted to some extent.

ID2 participants are chosen out of the monthly PDP sessions and I've not seen any kid chosen for id2 that wasn't on the select squad. Those selected for id2 are the top 4-5 players in the program based on position and evaluation by PDP staff. We received a copy of our daughter's evaluation last year. The evaluation focuses on about 25 different areas (graded on a scale of 1-5) ranging from physical aspects like speed, agility and pass accuracy to personality aspects like decision making, attitude and instruction execution. So that's how that works...

Comment

The PDP program is free and consists of monthly trainings that are invite only. In order to participate in these sessions, a kid must either be recommended by their DOC (and then accepted by PDP staff) or recommended by opposing coaches through "player of the game" votes which are recorded after every game. Each coach "votes" for 1 player from their own team and 2 players from the opposing team. If a kid's name keeps showing up week after week, they will receive an invite to the monthly PDP sessions.

Center of Excellence is a weekly training session that is NOT free and kids can be invited to attend, invited to try out or just show up to tryouts. The training is very similar but the talent pool is not as "exclusive". But, we have seen some kids be selected (by PDP staff) for monthly training sessions and Select Squad events via Center of Excellence participation.

Select Squad is primarily chosen from the monthly PDP events. Of the 35ish kids per gender/age group that attend the monthly PDP, the top 12-18 kids participate in Select Squad events-I.E. tournaments, residential camps, European trips etc. Those events are not free and usually require travel and lodging, but they are discounted to some extent.

ID2 participants are chosen out of the monthly PDP sessions and I've not seen any kid chosen for id2 that wasn't on the select squad. Those selected for id2 are the top 4-5 players in the program based on position and evaluation by PDP staff. We received a copy of our daughter's evaluation last year. The evaluation focuses on about 25 different areas (graded on a scale of 1-5) ranging from physical aspects like speed, agility and pass accuracy to personality aspects like decision making, attitude and instruction execution. So that's how that works...
                      How did you obtain the evaluation?

Comment

Not the poster but we get ours via email

Comment

A bunch of parents were just chatting with John Curtis after a session and he mentioned it and said he was going to give it to us so our kid could see where she was excelling and where she needed to work on things. We got the email with a pdf about a week later.

Comment

Thank you!. This is a very good explanation /overview that makes sense..

Comment

Thank you!. This is a very good explanation /overview that makes sense..
                              For European trips, usually its the top 30 kids. A bunch of kids can't afford the exorbitant price for the vacation.

Comment

For European trips, usually its the top 30 kids. A bunch of kids can't afford the exorbitant price for the vacation.
                                We went on the European trip this Summer and there were a total of 30 girls for 2 age groups (02 & 04). In my daughter's age group there were only 2 kids who were usually part of the Select Squad that didn't go. One decided she was going to play GDA and was abiding by their rules of "no outside soccer" and the other spends her Summers in another country with family, every year.

The cost was about $2,000 per person. That included airfare, hotel accommodations for 9 days, 2 meals per day, museum tours, ground transportation while in Europe, a tour guide and the soccer trainings and games. My daughter was invited over a year in advance, so that gave us 14 months to prepare financially, so it didn't really feel exorbitant.

For us and the families we were with, it was an awesome experience.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X