Straight up

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Straight up
    I have been thinking the same thing!

Comment

No - straight up

Comment

Today and for 2013

Yes. Most states aren't as dysfunctional as Oregon. College coaches go to the Region IV Championships and other ODP events. Maybe, some day, new staff in Oregon will make it better.

Comment

No - straight up
          No.......

Comment

No and the Timbers part is an even worse.

Comment

depends on how you factor it (Im speaking of girls here):

If your player is only a state pool player Id say YES (with all capital letters). If you get 10 training days x 2 hours each, thats 20 hours of training with and against some of the best players in the state. No where will you or can you do this otherwise. That cost is just $300. $300*/*20 = $15/per hour. No where can you get this type of training on a regular basis for that kind of money. Sure you have some travel expenses to Salem, but so does everyone since Im sure you dont all live right next door to the turf field your player has club practice at.

Then factor in (even at $100) the cost of the Friendship tourney with 5 games, you cannot find that type of or level of competition here in Oregon on a given weekend, while sleeping in your own bed.

Now if you player is selected to attend the Vegas tourney and Regional Camp, at an additional cost of $1000 each it becomes a bit fuzzy.

Unless you player is of a level that is identified early on and makes it to hold over camp or ID2 with nods to higher level training opportunities, these players that merely just go this far are probably wasting their money.

Sure the competition is good, but if your only this good (and not any better), the mere fact that your put on your resume that your an Oregon ODP pool player places you at or near the top of all players in the state in any eyes of a college coach. Saying youve been to camp or even hold over camp, may raise the bar a bit.

If you calculate $400 per year (pool player + friendship cup) times 5 years ($2000) to be able to list yourself as a State ODP player definitely gives you a leg up on those that cannot make that claim.

Comment

Its worth it, you're just pissed you lst all your money in the poker machines last weekend.

Comment

I have been a long time supporter of ODP. My DD participated up until this year when she chose to try ECNL. As it turned out ODP tournaments and training conflicted with ECNL making it only possible to attend the regional championship. It came down to an issue of time and money so we decided it was not worth it this year. Even so, I am not aware of any other avenue currently available to Oregon female soccer players that will get you noticed (outside our lovely state) as ODP has the potential to. ODP was very good to my DD and as such I believe it was worth it.

I truly hope that the ODP system can remain a resource for other young athletes who desire to play at a higher level. I do believe that it has become somewhat cost prohibitive for some and I am not speaking of the $350 per year fee to participate rather I am talking about the cost to travel with ODP. This is unfortunate because it can (not always) erode some of the talent at the older ages. Last year we spent almost $4000 traveling with ODP, ODP regional, ODP national camp and so forth. That is alot of money and quite simply not an option for all players. So, if I could change one thing about ODP it would be to make it more affordable to the masses.

Comment

And dont forget it is throught the ODP system 4 97 and 98 girls received national camp invites! Although I hear it was at the Region IV tourney they got noticed and not the recent regional championships in Vegas. So basically the other posters are correct, you need to be good enough to make it all the way to the region IV team to be recognized.

Comment

Changes with ODP are on the horizon now. Not over night type (well maybe a couple), but it will look a bit different in the next 2 years.

Comment

The real answer

Yes ODP as a program is worth it. The question is "Is the Portland Timbers ODP"worth your money and time. The answer is no.

Cost have exploded over the last few years
                        Coaching is at an all time low

Comment

Yes ODP as a program is worth it. The question is "Is the Portland Timbers ODP"worth your money and time. The answer is no.

Cost have exploded over the last few years
                          Coaching is at an all time low
                          Coaching is terrible! AND don't believe the coaching staff will remain the same. My son's team had a change in coach two years in a row and we were notified of this change after tryouts were over and at the first practice.

Comment

Changes with ODP are on the horizon now. Not over night type (well maybe a couple), but it will look a bit different in the next 2 years.
                            Care to elaborate????

Comment

Question?

Originally posted by OrSoccerMom View Post
                              I have been a long time supporter of ODP. My DD participated up until this year when she chose to try ECNL. As it turned out ODP tournaments and training conflicted with ECNL making it only possible to attend the regional championship. It came down to an issue of time and money so we decided it was not worth it this year. Even so, I am not aware of any other avenue currently available to Oregon female soccer players that will get you noticed (outside our lovely state) as ODP has the potential to. ODP was very good to my DD and as such I believe it was worth it.

I truly hope that the ODP system can remain a resource for other young athletes who desire to play at a higher level. I do believe that it has become somewhat cost prohibitive for some and I am not speaking of the $350 per year fee to participate rather I am talking about the cost to travel with ODP. This is unfortunate because it can (not always) erode some of the talent at the older ages. Last year we spent almost $4000 traveling with ODP, ODP regional, ODP national camp and so forth. That is alot of money and quite simply not an option for all players. So, if I could change one thing about ODP it would be to make it more affordable to the masses.
                              My DD is now a college sophomore. When she went to national camp, tournaments, etc., it was entirely paid for by them. Not so any more?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X