Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSA Parents-Feedback

I have a GU11 on a travel team with little professional coaching ( their hearts are in the right place but they are not soccer pros). A few parents have recommended looking at SUSA to me for my daughter. I am looking for constructive feedback as to their program and training. Not semantics or politics. I am new to soccer, new to the area and my daughter loves it and is good at it so I am now committed to it. She tried out and been to Red Bull RDS camps, and would like to find something on that level locally.

Thanks

It really depends on the specific team you end up on. Take the 04 boys age group as an example (I'm pretty familiar with this group). The top two teams, NPL and EDP, are awesome. They are well trained, well traveled and both ranked top 10 in the state. For them the money is probably worth every penny even though there is a little trouble in paradise currently as the two teams both think that they are the "A" team and don't like it when someone claims otherwise.

Then look at the bottom two teams. They barely trained over the summer, have had disjointed training sessions with a generic trainer, have large turnover every year and lose most of their games as the bulk of their players came from mid to low level LIJSL. That would be fine if the teams were part of Bohemia or Mastic where you don't expect much out of them anyhow. But for $2,600 a year it's crazy to even consider being part of it.

So you really need to research that specific age group and which team they would be putting you on and ignore the clubs overall reputation.

The only other issues are that you tend to bounce from location to location for practices as they juggle training sessions on borrowed fields.

Comment

I would agree, for 2600 you have a lot of options. Thank you for the input, anyone out there in the GU11 program with SUSA?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I would agree, for 2600 you have a lot of options. Thank you for the input, anyone out there in the GU11 program with SUSA?
        My daughters are older, but both got the chance to work with Nir Sveri (both at ISA and Susa), who looks to be the coach/trainer for the A & B team in this age group, he is also the technical director at SUSA. I and both my daughters absolutely LOVE Nir. He is the best trainer either of my kids have ever worked with and he is just an all around great guy. My oldest is playing in college now and if you check out his Twitter, you'll see he still follows and supports his players that are playing in college...just such a good guy and the primary reason my younger one decided to play for Susa when they bought ISA.

That being said, some of my kids' friends have stated that they think he is a great trainer, but they didn't like him as a coach. I'm not sure why, because my kids loved him as both, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My advice is to reach out to the club and see if you can go to a few practices to check it out, (I know they've allowed players to do that in the past) and see what you and your daughter think of things.

I don't know who is in charge of the "C" team (Premier), but soccer parent to soccer parent, I would never pay that kind of money for that level of play. If your daughter is evaluated and that level is suggested, you might want to keep looking around. Good luck

Comment

Thanks, she has been invited to attend some open practices. We are looking forward to check it out.

Thanks for taking the time!

Comment

Also you said they bought ISA... the indoor field in Smithtown? Are they actually running it or is Gus still the guy there. When the girls were little they did a winter league there.

Comment

Also you said they bought ISA... the indoor field in Smithtown? Are they actually running it or is Gus still the guy there. When the girls were little they did a winter league there.
              Not the same ISA. The indoor place in Smithtown is still there

Comment

Nir is great with the girls and truly cares about their development. They play high level tournaments against some of the best teams in the north east and EDP D1 for the league play. Good luck to you and your daughter. By the way it's not the same ISA. Both ISA/SUSA was Intense Soccer Academy; ISA smithtown is international soccer academy

Comment

Thank everyone, I didn't think is was that ISA, just wanted to make sure.

I tell you if you look at all the other posts on the board, it is hard to get a lot of good information with all the drama that I am reading....

So I appreciate it everyone! If anyone has any other productive comments about a similar academy in Suffolk, that would be good to.

Comment

Hopefully you'll wait until the end of the Fall season to switch.

Comment

Definitely would not leave my current team hanging. Just figuring we get a chance to see how they do things and make a contact. In the end it is only 10 year old soccer, from what I read here, it seems a lot of people think U11 is Pre-college scholarship year. What happened to learning the game and having some fun.

Comment

This is the time for kids to develop their ball skills. 9-12 years of age. If they don't have the ball skills by then, forget it. They will be left behind. Go to a club that focuses on skills. If the coach spends one second on corner kicks or throw-ins run fast. It is a waste of time and money.

Comment

our trainer now spends first 20 minutes on foot skills, then half hour on 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 type drills, then finishes with 4 or 5 on 5 small sided games.

Comment

I see a lot of people talking about different leagues like EDP, ECNL, NYCSL,?,?,? .. for the newbie, what league should your team or team you would want your child to be geared to if you and your kid are committed to soccer and think it will be their thing through HS. Ours is LIJSL and it seem more like a big intramural program with dad's as the coaches. While fun for the kids at this age, we don't want to get pigeon holed in the wrong league-team long term. Also what age would you think you need to make the transition from fun local team to the more serious team . What are some educated opinions.

Comment

I see a lot of people talking about different leagues like EDP, ECNL, NYCSL,?,?,? .. for the newbie, what league should your team or team you would want your child to be geared to if you and your kid are committed to soccer and think it will be their thing through HS. Ours is LIJSL and it seem more like a big intramural program with dad's as the coaches. While fun for the kids at this age, we don't want to get pigeon holed in the wrong league-team long term. Also what age would you think you need to make the transition from fun local team to the more serious team . What are some educated opinions.
                              I wouldn't get too hung up on leagues. There are very good and not so good teams in every league. And there are professional coaches and daddy coaches in every league. What you should really concentrate on is finding a specific team that matches what you are specifically looking for.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X