Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well you might as well be the other poster.
    Rosters are locked? Such a foolish comment. You parents talk all this nonsense to instill fear in other parents so their kids do not try for teams so your child can keep their spot. There are so many kids playing in so called lower leagues who can easily walk on high level teams but theses parents think the players on those higher teams are superstars which they are not.
    I'll assume your one of those " my kid has seniority at the club" parents.
    If the club is good and has ambition they should be looking for new talent every year.
    To the OP. Try out for teams. It's a great experience for your child. Have her work on her game at home. That's what makes the difference.
    Not from what I've seen in recent years. At MOST clubs you generally need to be a top 5 starter to push out an existing player. The only thing that has operated differently was the age change last year created more openings as did GDA this year.

Comment

Well you might as well be the other poster.
      Rosters are locked? Such a foolish comment. You parents talk all this nonsense to instill fear in other parents so their kids do not try for teams so your child can keep their spot. There are so many kids playing in so called lower leagues who can easily walk on high level teams but theses parents think the players on those higher teams are superstars which they are not.
      I'll assume your one of those " my kid has seniority at the club" parents.
      If the club is good and has ambition they should be looking for new talent every year.
      To the OP. Try out for teams. It's a great experience for your child. Have her work on her game at home. That's what makes the difference.

Some teams drop kids for better player, but virtually none do. Even at high level, teams will not drop the 20th best player for a new 15th best player, you need to be better than that to kick an existing player off a team, if that happens at all.

Most teams also have open roster spots to pick up great talent at any time, ECNL can have 30 players, GDA 23+. Not all can play each game, but you don't need to cut from bottom to add a good player to the top. They just warm the bench more, get annoyed and finally leave, saves the agony of cutting.

But, in the above post was the best piece of advice to give. "Try out for teams. It's a great experience for your child." Do this. Trying out is different than playing, and a skill that needs to be learned. Both in soccer and in life (think interviews).

Comment

LIRR pre-academy to what? They don't have academy teams. Sounds misleading to me.
        They have rebranded their premier, all year round supplemental program as pre-academy

Comment

I think the extra training is a a reasonable first step. You could also try an RDS clinic from the red bulls or a center of excellence program from NYCSL. They are not as long a commitment and offer some very good training.

Why jump into ECNL or GDA until you have at least tried playing in a more competitive environment and see if it is for you? Just because EM, Albertson, and probably LISC and fury gdas at some age groups all need more paying players, does not mean the players need them. The travel required for those teams is a very different commitment of time and money.
          Thank you. my kid attended the long island week long day camp a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the upcoming RDS Clinics are not local. The LIJSL RDS supplemental program is not an option as it ages out at 12 unlike the other RDS programs in the nY metropolitan area.

Comment

That's what her club team should be giving her. Why pay extra for that ?
            The club does provide good training but practices 1-2 x per week during the season, once a week during the winter and not during the summer. We are just looking to supplement her primary club at this point.

Alot of folks although providing interesting information have gone off on a tangent.

The question is which program is better-the LIJSL PDP or Long Island Rough Riders Premier (now rebranded as "pre-academy") for a girl U14.

Comment

The club does provide good training but practices 1-2 x per week during the season, once a week during the winter and not during the summer. We are just looking to supplement her primary club at this point.

Alot of folks although providing interesting information have gone off on a tangent.

The question is which program is better-the LIJSL PDP or Long Island Rough Riders Premier (now rebranded as "pre-academy") for a girl U14.
              The answer is both, or neither. To be honest, there really isn't much different between various competent programs. Touches on the ball are touches on the ball. The by far biggest factor is the effort and motivation of the player.

Comment

Thank you. my kid attended the long island week long day camp a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the upcoming RDS Clinics are not local. The LIJSL RDS supplemental program is not an option as it ages out at 12 unlike the other RDS programs in the nY metropolitan area.
                You could try the center of excellence. She will need to be accepted into the program but I think you could arrange to have her seen. It is just training but she could see if she enjoys the environment. I am not sure what the fall schedule is or if they have space. Check nycsl web site under pdp program. Have found them to be responsive to questions.

Comment

While I admit to no experience with RR, we have been very happy with PDP for 2+ years now.

Comment

Congrats to this thread for a fairly reasonable, if brief, discussion of one aspect of Long island soccer. That can be a rare event for anonymous forums!

Comment

Congrats to this thread for a fairly reasonable, if brief, discussion of one aspect of Long island soccer. That can be a rare event for anonymous forums!
                      I thank you for your advice!!!

Comment

the rough riders appear to have partnered with the long island sc. if your goal is for your daughter to make that team then the rough riders would provide her with more exposure. if your goal is for your daughter to improve her skills i agree with the poster who says it doesn't matter. they are both pretty good training and your daughter will improve with more time on the ball. go wherever you think she will have more fun and try harder.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X