Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Been a Year, Did Susa Blow Away LI Youth Soccer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Been a Year, Did Susa Blow Away LI Youth Soccer?

Larry predicted this one year ago. Any thoughts on his prediction pro or con?

anything Larry predicts is motivated by money. period. he is the worse charlitain of them all. he constantly bashes other organizations who do not advertise with him. hypocritica. as for SUSA,..no that didnt happen...same ol susa.

Comment

Mission complete. LI Youth Soccer has been blown away so effectively that it no longer even exists. Time to get your kids into lacrosse camp. You do not want to be left behind!

Comment

SUSA did buy themselves some nice teams and develop a nice income stream for themselves.

All the BS around this new soccer complex is a joke though.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          SUSA did buy themselves some nice teams and develop a nice income stream for themselves.

All the BS around this new soccer complex is a joke though.
          My kid plays for Susa (girls) and I'll give you my honest opinion.
          No, they did not blow away LI soccer, lol. But I can tell you what they did do. 3 teams were NPL champions, 3 came in 2nd in NPL, 2 came in 3rd in NPL and 1 won a state cup. Not necessarily earth shattering, but the best showing of any club in the league. Yes, most of the better performing teams were primarily ISA teams, which is how my kid ended up there.

I don't really care about their shiny new facility, my kid has been playing at Baymen for 4-5 years now and I'm fine with it. I do care about my kid's collegiate aspiration and know that guys like Tim Hearney, Nir Sveri and Ron & Sue Alber have a wide net of contacts and relationships with college coaches on all different levels. I do care that my kid is playing with other strong players from nice families and isn't constantly looking over her shoulder to see if anyone is trying to Stab her in the back. My kid has fun and is happy.

Do I think Susa is overpriced? YES
          Do I think the training is better at say KK? YES. But they don't have the same collegiate education program and placement record or relationships.
          Do I think the competition is stronger in ECNL (or GDA maybe, unproven at this point)? YES. But those options are about an hour drive each way and my kid is heavily involved in additional school athletics, which take up anywhere between 2-6 hours a day 5-6 days a week. We can barely Make it on time to trainings 15 minutes from our house.
          Do I think some of the parents are absolutely delusional in where Susa and their kid specifically fall in the landscape of youth soccer? YES, but there aren't an overwhelming amount of those types, just so Happens most of them are on BOTN

So there you have it, nothing truly revolutionary.

Comment

No, they did not blow away LI soccer, lol. But I can tell you what they did do. 3 teams were NPL champions, 3 came in 2nd in NPL, 2 came in 3rd in NPL and 1 won a state cup. Not necessarily earth shattering, but the best showing of any club in the league. Yes, most of the better performing teams were primarily ISA teams, which is how my kid ended up there.

I don't really care about their shiny new facility, my kid has been playing at Baymen for 4-5 years now and I'm fine with it. I do care about my kid's collegiate aspiration and know that guys like Tim Hearney, Nir Sveri and Ron & Sue Alber have a wide net of contacts and relationships with college coaches on all different levels. I do care that my kid is playing with other strong players from nice families and isn't constantly looking over her shoulder to see if anyone is trying to Stab her in the back. My kid has fun and is happy.

Do I think the training is better at say KK? YES. But they don't have the same collegiate education program and placement record or relationships.
            Do I think the competition is stronger in ECNL (or GDA maybe, unproven at this point)? YES. But those options are about an hour drive each way and my kid is heavily involved in additional school athletics, which take up anywhere between 2-6 hours a day 5-6 days a week. We can barely Make it on time to trainings 15 minutes from our house.
            Do I think some of the parents are absolutely delusional in where Susa and their kid specifically fall in the landscape of youth soccer? YES, but there aren't an overwhelming amount of those types, just so Happens most of them are on BOTN

Agree with most of that. Basically, the ISA teams and staff are the best part of SUSA. Problem is, Ron doesn't run the show anymore and could leave at any time. Moussa is clueless and the club will go nowhere with him in charge. Its now quantity over quality, but bigger is not always better. IMO seek better training and organization and your kid will be better off rather than hoping Ron is still around to get her connected.

Comment

You seem a little delusional. I find it funny.... so many parents talking about their coaches and contacts they have. You and your child have to go out and make your own contacts and sell yourself to the college you have interest in. Also 2-6 hrs a day 5-6 days a week for athletics?
              Just remember the first thing a college coach will ask is ... How are your grades?

Comment

You seem a little delusional. I find it funny.... so many parents talking about their coaches and contacts they have. You and your child have to go out and make your own contacts and sell yourself to the college you have interest in. Also 2-6 hrs a day 5-6 days a week for athletics?
                Just remember the first thing a college coach will ask is ... How are your grades?
                I've seen my sisters kids go through the recruiting process and believe me, I know how important the grades are, no coach wants a kid that might be at risk of academic ineligibility. Her grades are very good, averages about a 3.8-3.9 and takes a mix of accelerated and standard classes. Yes, I agree that 2-6 hours a day 5-6 days a week sounds like a lot (and at times it is), but it's usually right after school until about 5pm unless there's a game or meet (6 hours includes transportation and such) which is about twice a week. It's a balancing act for sure, and that's why the thought of adding an hour commute each way to a club that plays in a higher league, isn't something we're jumping at.

I also understand that she has to form her own relationships with college coaches and that no coach or even her parents can do that for her. But, it's nice to get some advice and an introduction from a club coach who has successfully sent players to a particular college program. I know she has to do it herself, but just like everything else in life, if she can get a positive recommendation from someone that a college coach trusts and has successfully worked with in the past, it's certainly helpful.

I'm not really sure why you would say I'm delusional, I actually think I'm pretty grounded in comparison to a lot of other parents out there. But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. At the end of the day what's most important , and I mentioned this in my original post, my kid is having fun and is happy.

Comment

I've seen my sisters kids go through the recruiting process and believe me, I know how important the grades are, no coach wants a kid that might be at risk of academic ineligibility. Her grades are very good, averages about a 3.8-3.9 and takes a mix of accelerated and standard classes. Yes, I agree that 2-6 hours a day 5-6 days a week sounds like a lot (and at times it is), but it's usually right after school until about 5pm unless there's a game or meet (6 hours includes transportation and such) which is about twice a week. It's a balancing act for sure, and that's why the thought of adding an hour commute each way to a club that plays in a higher league, isn't something we're jumping at.

I also understand that she has to form her own relationships with college coaches and that no coach or even her parents can do that for her. But, it's nice to get some advice and an introduction from a club coach who has successfully sent players to a particular college program. I know she has to do it herself, but just like everything else in life, if she can get a positive recommendation from someone that a college coach trusts and has successfully worked with in the past, it's certainly helpful.

I'm not really sure why you would say I'm delusional, I actually think I'm pretty grounded in comparison to a lot of other parents out there. But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. At the end of the day what's most important , and I mentioned this in my original post, my kid is having fun and is happy.
                  Well put!

Comment

Let me tell you this. My son is a pretty good athlete/player on a pretty good premier soccer team - has been since U8. Every year 1 or 2 boys would leave to go play for a DA club. Sometimes the boys would come back after a year or two citing lack of creativity on the DA side (for example, boys would not be allowed to dribble but had to one-touch pass as soon as they got the ball). this year even more boys are leaving for DA as the westchester DA clubs seem to be stretching to fill their rosters - DA & NPL & Premier teams now.

We always stayed away from DA because my fear was that my son would be more concerned about making his soccer coach happy than his math and english teachers. DA would require 4 practices during the week and most of a weekend day to play a game some day. It's all fine and dandy but at what cost? To me it was at the cost of giving school the priority it deserves. My story has a happy ending - son got accepted to an incredibly prestigious high school which is all about grades AND if you survive the 4 years there you're just about guaranteed access to a top 30 academic college. If he had spent more time thinking about his first touch he would not have spent as much time on his HS application essays.

Moral of the story: if your kid has the potential to make a top school on his/her academic credentials stay away from the DA and ECNL soccer programs because they will only take away from your child's time available for school. If you're traveling to soccer practice for 2-3 hours a day ... are you going to have the energy to think about an Original Science Project? No chance in hell.

Comment

Not sure why you find it funny. A number of times a college coach has said to my daughter, "oh I know coach ____". Or my daughter could add or start a conversation with "coach ____ says hi". Club and coach connections has definitely had a little value to us. But ultimately, as you said, you have to make your own relationship.

Comment

Sorry about the "delusional" . Put it in their because you stated other SUSA parents were delusional. I assume the delusional ones you spoke of feel they are grounded also. That's great you have a plan and a path. People just have to understand there is no right or wrong path. Follow what works for your child's situation.
                        No need to impress me with grade point averages. I don't think I've ever seen a post about the child with the B or C average.... guess is doesn't exist on Long Island. Amazing how we are so far behind academically to other countries.
                        But your last sentence is the most important. Your child is having fun and is happy. That's what it's all about. Good Luck. It all goes by fast.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X