Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I do know, as a parent, that ECNL will be a lot more fun as there will be more games and tourneys. DA is mostly about training and few games. I know you can say it's about development, I do get that, but there will be a lot less games. Also, the substitutions will lead to a lot less PT for a lot of players. I could see ECNL being a better option for the bottom half of GDA teams.
    Games are almost the same actually, they're just spread across a longer period of time (rarely have two in one weekend). Since DA doesn't have to take time off for HS soccer they're not cramming in games in a shorter time period. Yes the substitution rules are an issue. So is PT in general - DA mandates x% of starts but plenty of boys DA clubs break those rules or toss players in for a few minutes against the weakest opponents. DA has been great for my son but he's at an MLS club and a starter. His younger sister will not be participating in GDA. Pay to play in an uncertain league, give up other sports, lots of travel...all to end up playing in college anyway? No thanks ECNL suits us just fine.

- boys DA parent

Comment

GDA starters seems like they have an easy choice as those players will participate in the games. After that, players with plenty of cash as usual can play where ever suits them if they make the team. Harder decision for the rest of us poor slobs. Not sure if it makes sense to shell out the mega cash to travel and play in essentially the b league.

Maybe one of the more localized leagues will strengthen and attract these players. The families with a decent soccer budget but not a mega budget of time and $$ and with multiple players would be thankful!

Comment

GDA starters seems like they have an easy choice as those players will participate in the games. After that, players with plenty of cash as usual can play where ever suits them if they make the team. Harder decision for the rest of us poor slobs. Not sure if it makes sense to shell out the mega cash to travel and play in essentially the b league.

Maybe one of the more localized leagues will strengthen and attract these players. The families with a decent soccer budget but not a mega budget of time and $$ and with multiple players would be thankful!
        Does anyone know if East Meadow and Albertson will definitely be keeping girls ECNL? They both obviously have GDA (Albertson being Fury) and boys ECNL. I know ECNL is only granting girls status to only a finite number of girls clubs who also have GDA.

Also, does World Class have boys ECNL? Are they in the same boat as EM and Alb?

Comment

Does anyone know if East Meadow and Albertson will definitely be keeping girls ECNL? They both obviously have GDA (Albertson being Fury) and boys ECNL. I know ECNL is only granting girls status to only a finite number of girls clubs who also have GDA.

Also, does World Class have boys ECNL? Are they in the same boat as EM and Alb?
          Albertson is the Fury GDA? Is that the same Club? I was assuming Albertson in Nassau county would stay ECNL and the Fury GDA club is in Suffolk county. Are they in fact the same club?

Comment

Albertson is the Fury GDA? Is that the same Club? I was assuming Albertson in Nassau county would stay ECNL and the Fury GDA club is in Suffolk county. Are they in fact the same club?

Both controlled by Paul Riley. I believe he smartly avoided using Alby for GDA because he lost boys DA at Alby. Also EM got GDA in Nassau and it's highly unlikely to expand beyond one team per county.

Comment

Have a question.

Will GDA have a U14, U15, U16-17 and U 18-19 (4 teams)

Or

U14-15, U16-17 and U18-19 (3 teams)

So, are they following in the BDA footsteps or staying how originally rolled out?

Thanks

Comment

Have a question.

Will GDA have a U14, U15, U16-17 and U 18-19 (4 teams)

Or

U14-15, U16-17 and U18-19 (3 teams)

So, are they following in the BDA footsteps or staying how originally rolled out?

Thanks
                They very quietly just added a 4th group - only sent it in emails to clubs. So it will be your first list with U14 and U15 split. In other words, trying to rope in kids before they have to make the HS decision. I can't help but wonder what clubs think of it all as they had been planning on 3 and now have 4, all sprung on them fairly last minute.

Comment

They very quietly just added a 4th group - only sent it in emails to clubs. So it will be your first list with U14 and U15 split. In other words, trying to rope in kids before they have to make the HS decision. I can't help but wonder what clubs think of it all as they had been planning on 3 and now have 4, all sprung on them fairly last minute.
                  Interesting, as this will add another coach(s) with this addition and potential costs and field issues as well.

Comment

Interesting, as this will add another coach(s) with this addition and potential costs and field issues as well.
                    Many of the boys DA clubs had shadowy pre academy teams @15 and other odd years. These pre academy followed many of the same rules (no HS for one) but were regulated to pre academy leagues in NPL

I believe that this ruling brings these teams out of the shadows. I always thought it was a bad decisions for these kids who weren't technically in DAP to forgoe HS in the hopes of making the official DAP teams

As it relates to the girls perhaps they learned their lessons. Perhaps it was for less altruistic reasons, namely money and keeping these age groups away from US Club, NPL and ECNL

Comment

Many of the boys DA clubs had shadowy pre academy teams @15 and other odd years. These pre academy followed many of the same rules (no HS for one) but were regulated to pre academy leagues in NPL

I believe that this ruling brings these teams out of the shadows. I always thought it was a bad decisions for these kids who weren't technically in DAP to forgoe HS in the hopes of making the official DAP teams

As it relates to the girls perhaps they learned their lessons. Perhaps it was for less altruistic reasons, namely money and keeping these age groups away from US Club, NPL and ECNL
                      I'm going with the latter in your last paragraph. I also agree the "pre-academy" teams were a bad idea for the players.

Comment

Sky Blue/PDA has announced their GDA tryouts. 4 age groups. Tryout dates in Feb with call backs in March. Anyone else announce their dates?

Comment

Sky Blue/PDA has announced their GDA tryouts. 4 age groups. Tryout dates in Feb with call backs in March. Anyone else announce their dates?
                          I cannot find the information. Would you have a link? Thanks

Comment

Anyone know if the Fury GDA is based in Nassau county or Suffolk county?

Comment

Anyone know if the Fury GDA is based in Nassau county or Suffolk county?

Suffolk?

From the web site:

FC FURY will offer all of Long Island the opportunity to play in the GIRLS DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY and will ensure Suffolk players that have been promised a top-level league will now have the opportunity to compete in the GAA League.

"We are excited to enter the Suffolk County area and give the top players the opportunity many of them have been promised and waiting a long time...

Comment

Suffolk?

From the web site:

FC FURY will offer all of Long Island the opportunity to play in the GIRLS DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY and will ensure Suffolk players that have been promised a top-level league will now have the opportunity to compete in the GAA League.

"We are excited to enter the Suffolk County area and give the top players the opportunity many of them have been promised and waiting a long time...
                                It's smart. You will have a GDA and looks like two ECNL in Nassau. Riley and East Meadow will have a monopoly on the serious girls soccer players for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X