X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCL vs ECNL

Hello Listmates:

I was wondering if someone could advise on the difference between NCL and ECNL. My kid curently plays in LIJSL premier and some friends have told me that if my kid wants to get more serious, she should consider NCL on Long Island and not ECNL or DA which require alot more travel.

What is the commtment?

Which teams are recommended?

Thank you for your advice.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello Listmates:

I was wondering if someone could advise on the difference between NCL and ECNL. My kid curently plays in LIJSL premier and some friends have told me that if my kid wants to get more serious, she should consider NCL on Long Island and not ECNL or DA which require alot more travel.

What is the commtment?

I believe you mean NPL.

Yes there is less travel in NPL, but the league is not nearly as competitive as DA or ECNL. There are some good NPL teams that can compete with some ECNL or DA but in general it is a significant downgrade. You have to ask, what are you looking for? If your daughter is truly a very good player and will have a real opportunity to play soccer in college, then I would definitely choose either of the two leagues and not NPL. Your exposure to colleges is significantly better and will have much more opportunity to showcase herself.

Comment

Also NPL starts at U12 while ECNL and DA are U14.

Comment

Hello Listmates:

What is the commtment?

The very top girls should filter towards FC Fury. Like him or hate him, Riley has a tremendous amount of pull at the national and collegiate level and his DA teams are doing great for a first year venture.

Comment

I believe you mean NPL.

Yes there is less travel in NPL, but the league is not nearly as competitive as DA or ECNL. There are some good NPL teams that can compete with some ECNL or DA but in general it is a significant downgrade. You have to ask, what are you looking for? If your daughter is truly a very good player and will have a real opportunity to play soccer in college, then I would definitely choose either of the two leagues and not NPL. Your exposure to colleges is significantly better and will have much more opportunity to showcase herself.
          I agree with you for the most part, but would suggest possibly NPL as a stepping stone depending on daughter's age and skill level.

In the majority of instances, top LIJSL teams would fall middle of the pack in NYPL and probably a touch lower in NPL. Unless your daughter is literally "the entire team" on her LIJSL team, the jump to ECNL would be MASSIVE. Pace, level of skill and level of competition (even within the team itself) is leaps and bounds above LIJSL.

I'm not trying to scare you off, it's just something to think about. Depending on her age, if she tries an NPL or EDP and feels she wants more in a year or 2, ECNL will still be there.

Comment

I agree with you for the most part, but would suggest possibly NPL as a stepping stone depending on daughter's age and skill level.

In the majority of instances, top LIJSL teams would fall middle of the pack in NYPL and probably a touch lower in NPL. Unless your daughter is literally "the entire team" on her LIJSL team, the jump to ECNL would be MASSIVE. Pace, level of skill and level of competition (even within the team itself) is leaps and bounds above LIJSL.

I'm not trying to scare you off, it's just something to think about. Depending on her age, if she tries an NPL or EDP and feels she wants more in a year or 2, ECNL will still be there.
            She's currently U14.

Comment

can she still play for her high school team if she joins NPL.

Comment

Also NPL starts at U12 while ECNL and DA are U14.
                ECNL starts at U13 now at most clubs and is a clearly defined league

NPL is a much broader term and encompasses many different subgroups - EDP and NYSCL have NPL, NE NPL....the area is drowning in alphabet soup

To the op: There is no NCL: you might be confusing it with NYCSL? It generally will be step about what she's doing now but not always. https://nyclubsoccerleague.com/ . There is also EDP, where the top two divisions are very competitive but it drops after that. All will involve more travel https://www.edpsoccer.com/

Ask around for good options in your are with good coaching. If she's under 13 don't get wrapped up in leagues yet - focus on the coaching. Take her to some practices at those clubs to see if there might be a fit.

Comment

can she still play for her high school team if she joins NPL.
                  DA is the only league that restricts high school play. None of the others do.

Comment

In order from top to bottom, roughly.

Tier 1

DA
                    ECNL
                    US Youth National League

Tier 2

US Youth ERL
                    EDP D1/D2
                    EDP-NPL
                    NYCSL-NPL
                    NYCSL-NYPL
                    Super-Y (though not really in our area)

Tier 3

EDP Premier/Championship
                    US Youth ENYPL

Tier 4

NYCSL-Travel
                    LIJSL

Tier 5

SSI Interleague

Tier 6

Intramurals

Comment

She's currently U14.
                      That's going to be huge culture shock and speed of play shock at U14 going from LIJ to ECNL.

Comment

That's going to be huge culture shock and speed of play shock at U14 going from LIJ to ECNL.
                        Unlikely she'd even crack an ECNL roster. She probably would have to do a step up into NYSCL, EDP etc.

But for the op - may I ask why? Is is it something she's truly passionate about, wants to improve, maybe wants to play in college? Have knowledgable people suggested she move up and has the skills to do so? To compete at the higher levels players have to really want it and work at it - especially given the time and money involved.

Comment

Unlikely she'd even crack an ECNL roster. She probably would have to do a step up into NYSCL, EDP etc.

But for the op - may I ask why? Is is it something she's truly passionate about, wants to improve, maybe wants to play in college? Have knowledgable people suggested she move up and has the skills to do so? To compete at the higher levels players have to really want it and work at it - especially given the time and money involved.
                          Yes. She is passionate about it. She's 13 and her dream not ours is to play in college.She doesn't need a scholarship. Some folks have suggested suggested she move up- She has speed and quickness and "footskills beyond her years" at least in the small pond.

Comment

She's currently U14.
                            I think trying to make the jump from LIJSL to ECNL at U15 would be very tough. My advice (for what it's worth) would be to contact one of the local NPL clubs (Massapequa in Nassau, Susa in Suffolk) and ask if your daughter can go down and check out a few practices this Spring. Tell the coach or manager your situation, more likely than not, they'll be receptive.

Multi-tier clubs like that are always looking for new talent and it'll give you and your daughter an idea of where she falls in the landscape. If she's running circles around the top players on the team, then maybe you seriously consider ECNL. If she's on par or just about keeping up with the stronger players, then maybe you give NPL a try for a season.

Good luck!

Comment

Yes. She is passionate about it. She's 13 and her dream not ours is to play in college.She doesn't need a scholarship. Some folks have suggested suggested she move up- She has speed and quickness and "footskills beyond her years" at least in the small pond.
                              You should get her to some practices with a couple of target clubs. See how she fits vs. kids already playing for those teams.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X