Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I believe there are 3 Jax players on VSI rosters as discovery players. I think they also discover with Concorde fire.
    So how does the concept of discovery player work? Is there a particular requirement such as distance from club that qualify the player? Obviously, the player would need to tryout and make the team.

Comment

Not a parent's opinion without any evidence...here's the numbers from 2012 and the thoughts of several major FLA college coaches...ECNL is not better because I think it's better, it's better because THEY, the coaches the ones that matter, think it's better.

Below are the rosters of the most recent US Soccer National Team Camps:
      • U14 Girls National Pool – May 2012 Camp: 30 ECNL players out of 48
      • U15 Girls National Team – June 2012 Camp: 17 ECNL players out of 24
      • U17 Girls National Team – June 2012 Camp: 23 ECNL players out of 24
      • U18 Girls National Team – June 2012 Camp: 19 ECNL players out of 24

US Soccer Women’s Technical Director April Heinrichs: The ECNL has very quickly become this elite environment for our club youth players between the ages of 14 and 18. We’re really excited about what ECNL is doing

Florida Gulf Coach University Jim Blakenship:
      When we recruit at ECNL matches, we know that the players are being tested against the best competition possible. It is the closest they can come to the college level.

UCLA Assistant Coach Josh Walters:
      The ECNL is changing the way development is happening in the US. There is more of an emphasis on development and quality competition. It is simply the reason why all college coaches around the country recruit heavily within the ECNL

University of Florida Coach Becky Burleigh:
      Since the ECNL has come to Florida we get to see the players play league games at a high level and also get to recruit the teams that come to play our Florida ECNL clubs. The ECNL has definitely raised the level of soccer in Florida.

University of South Florida Coach Denise Schilte-Brown:
      In my opinion, during this current landscape of youth soccer in the US, the ECNL offers the most competitive environment for female players. In addition, it offers us as coaches the opportunity to collectively see the majority of the best players in a series of events throughout the year.

Jacksonville University Coach Brian Copham:
      ECNL has been a great progression for women’s soccer in the US. ECNL clubs are committed to improving the level of the women’s game. It is a great avenue to see some of the best teams and some of the best players compete against each other on a regular basis.

Florida State University coach Mark Krikorian:
      The ECNL has become part of the foundation of recruiting in college soccer. The level of competition is very good and offers a unique experience. It is clear that the ECNL is very committed to the development of the game and its players.

Florida International University Coach Thomas Chestnut:
      ECNL is the best way to prepare players for the college game. The ECNL having coming to Florida will do nothing but elevate soccer in the state
      These quotes are great, but ECNL is not effective if the players, coaches and training are not up to standard. Burleigh and Krikorian as well as dorrance and Cromwell aren't zombies. Branding is fine, but the product has to be as good as the advertising.

Comment

Cant argue that. But I think they will improve.
        Yeah, they've only been at it for two years. Give 'em another 2-3, and they'll be great. Who's daughter wants to volunteer to be the next guinea pig?

Comment

I believe there are 3 Jax players on VSI rosters as discovery players. I think they also discover with Concorde fire.
          Like I said, access is relative. Point is, just because a player lives in Orlando or Tampa doesn't mean they have access to ECNL.

Comment

There was an earlier point made that some ECNL players train full time at a local club but travel on weekends to ECNL practices and/or games. Jax area has many elite players in a wide radius. Jax clubs all affiliating for ECNL teams would secure it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazelnuts View Post
              Can you attach the ECNL brochure that this came from? NE FL does not have ECNL and still has been well recruited. I'm sure there are some ECNL programs that are fantastic in overall preparation, however let's be clear. ECNL is "new". The better players (and their parents) want to flock to the best of this and the best of that. The not as good players (and their parents) also want to flock there. Over time, ECNL will water down and just be another league, as they have already begun with astonishing lack of level of play. Some clubs consistently produce but it's not common. Do you really think we should change youth sports into semi-professional sports where our girls play for a club three states away? (Yes, some ECNL clubs allow it.) If they're just playing in games, who's preparing them? Their local non-ECNL club.
              ^^^Good post.

Anybody remember when ODP was the most important program for Mia to get "exposure"? Now it's sort of a joke.

Comment

Yeah, they've only been at it for two years. Give 'em another 2-3, and they'll be great. Who's daughter wants to volunteer to be the next guinea pig?
                Mine will. And I think you'll see a dramatic shift in the talent at tryouts this year. FKK has blown it, they're done. Nobody cares about HM anymore. It's all about ECNL.

Comment

Considering the number of Jacksonville players on the VSI roster I guess "access" is relative to skill. Obviously those girls see some value in gaining access to that stage.
                  I looked through three teams and did not see one. I am troubled that they have these girls addresses out there for anyone to view! What teams have Jax girls?

"Access" does not generally relate to skill but rather financial ability to pay. Sure, anyone can drive to Orlando or Tampa to play for an ECNL team but can they afford it week after week? Are they mortgaging their future on little mia playing in college? I once read somewhere that ECNL travel for the premier teams (not the ones in Florida) on average are 5-10k a year per player. So 20-40k during their high school career, in hope for attaining a scholarship that maybe pays for half of their education. I fail to see that as a good return on an investment when they same colleges are recruiting from non ECNL teams.

I am very curious what age groups Jax is representing at VSI. I think the player that plays with Concorde plays at our club, and if that is the case, ECNL is not the reason why shes being recruited.

Comment

I looked through three teams and did not see one. I am troubled that they have these girls addresses out there for anyone to view! What teams have Jax girls?

"Access" does not generally relate to skill but rather financial ability to pay. Sure, anyone can drive to Orlando or Tampa to play for an ECNL team but can they afford it week after week? Are they mortgaging their future on little mia playing in college? I once read somewhere that ECNL travel for the premier teams (not the ones in Florida) on average are 5-10k a year per player. So 20-40k during their high school career, in hope for attaining a scholarship that maybe pays for half of their education. I fail to see that as a good return on an investment when they same colleges are recruiting from non ECNL teams.

I am very curious what age groups Jax is representing at VSI. I think the player that plays with Concorde plays at our club, and if that is the case, ECNL is not the reason why shes being recruited.
                    U15's, and who said anything about addresses? You think they're playing under assumed names???

Comment

VSI U15 has 2 players from the Jax area. U16 team has 1 from the Jax area. As for cost, I would say with the travel if the parents do not attend road games the cost is about 2,200 for the year. Discovery players pay less by 700 but travel more expensive for them.

Comment

So how does the concept of discovery player work? Is there a particular requirement such as distance from club that qualify the player? Obviously, the player would need to tryout and make the team.
                        ECNL allows play of both "trapped" players and Discovery players. A discovery player must be located over 2 hours away and make the team. They cannot practice with the team more then once per week I believe. The idea of the discovery player is that they do not have reasonable access to the club for regular training but are an elite player that should be showcased for college coaches. Each ECNL team can have only 2 discovery players per team. Most WFF teams do not have any discovery players. U14 none, U15 x 2, U16 x1, U17 none, U18 none. WFF has 5 players that come from fort meyers and Naples that actually drive that distance to train 3x per week. Its a complicated thing when you do not have access. I wish that when they expanded into Florida that they hit all the major markets...Jax, Tampa, orlando and Miami but they didnt. I want to see Florida get the recognition it deserves for the quality of soccer that we have because I feel that Florida is overlooked both from a National perspective and by college coaches.

Comment

ECNL allows play of both "trapped" players and Discovery players. A discovery player must be located over 2 hours away and make the team. They cannot practice with the team more then once per week I believe. The idea of the discovery player is that they do not have reasonable access to the club for regular training but are an elite player that should be showcased for college coaches. Each ECNL team can have only 2 discovery players per team. Most WFF teams do not have any discovery players. U14 none, U15 x 2, U16 x1, U17 none, U18 none. WFF has 5 players that come from fort meyers and Naples that actually drive that distance to train 3x per week. Its a complicated thing when you do not have access. I wish that when they expanded into Florida that they hit all the major markets...Jax, Tampa, orlando and Miami but they didnt. I want to see Florida get the recognition it deserves for the quality of soccer that we have because I feel that Florida is overlooked both from a National perspective and by college coaches.
                          Almost forgot...a "trapped" player is basically a U19 that is still in high school...they are allowed to continue to play U18

Comment

Mine will. And I think you'll see a dramatic shift in the talent at tryouts this year. FKK has blown it, they're done. Nobody cares about HM anymore. It's all about ECNL.
                            yeah, FKK is done... just ask the 8 2015's already committed to places like UNC and S. Carolina.

You HM haters are hilarious.

Comment

yeah, FKK is done... just ask the 8 2015's already committed to places like UNC and S. Carolina.

You HM haters are hilarious.
                              It is easy to place good talent, I don't see the boys going to unc. That would be an accomplishment.

Comment

It is easy to place good talent, I don't see the boys going to unc. That would be an accomplishment.
                                You hardly see the boys going anywhere. Will FKK EVER pay attention to players not interested in D1?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X