Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Soccer a game or sport? - Friendly Arguments Only

First I would like to admit I like watching games on TV. I've been to a couple international friendly games in Massachusetts, Montreal, a couple MLS games for NYC and a few NY Cosmos Games. I love watching my boys play and seeing them have a good time (winning or losing) and learning about teamwork and working with others It brings me joy.

However, I have never considered soccer a "real sport". It is a beautiful game. But just a game only. It does not come close to the rigors of a real sport such as wrestling, boxing, track & Field to name a few.

There are 3 main criteria that must be considered in order to classify an activity as a sport.

1) There must be a direct conflict between 2 opponents.
    2) If it involves a ball, its a game (every argument has at least one exception, the exception goes to singles tennis). Just about every game played involves a ball. In boxing, wrestling, tennis, track and field no one has ever asked "what time is the game" its always referred to as a "match". Foot Ball, Basket Ball & Soccer is always referred to as a "game".
    3) The rules in a real sport cannot be discretionary in any way. How many soccer games have we attended where the referee from one game to the next constantly fouls up the rules on pushing, tackling, fouls etc? Referees take it upon themselves to make up the rules as they go along. In Track or swimming, there is no discretion on the rules. You make it to the finish line first....you win.

Sorry for offending anyone....you will get over it....or not.

Get over what?

Comment

huh? this is ridiculous. Look up the definition of a "sport" in the dictionary.

a better debate is whether golf is a game or sport. or perhaps pool or bowling.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Agreed. this individual has too much free time on their hands.

Comment

The rules in bowling and golf are not discretionary they are "set in stone". rules in soccer are discretionary and up to each referee to interpret them (from game to game). similar to kids playing a game in the back yard.

The dictionary is written by an English major geek possibly with no athletic experience.

Comment

Foolish

First I would like to admit I like watching games on TV. I've been to a couple international friendly games in Massachusetts, Montreal, a couple MLS games for NYC and a few NY Cosmos Games. I love watching my boys play and seeing them have a good time (winning or losing) and learning about teamwork and working with others It brings me joy.

However, I have never considered soccer a "real sport". It is a beautiful game. But just a game only. It does not come close to the rigors of a real sport such as wrestling, boxing, track & Field to name a few.

There are 3 main criteria that must be considered in order to classify an activity as a sport.

1) There must be a direct conflict between 2 opponents.
            2) If it involves a ball, its a game (every argument has at least one exception, the exception goes to singles tennis). Just about every game played involves a ball. In boxing, wrestling, tennis, track and field no one has ever asked "what time is the game" its always referred to as a "match". Foot Ball, Basket Ball & Soccer is always referred to as a "game".
            3) The rules in a real sport cannot be discretionary in any way. How many soccer games have we attended where the referee from one game to the next constantly fouls up the rules on pushing, tackling, fouls etc? Referees take it upon themselves to make up the rules as they go along. In Track or swimming, there is no discretion on the rules. You make it to the finish line first....you win.

Sorry for offending anyone....you will get over it....or not.
            So you are saying, Football, baseball, basketball, rugby, any team SPORT isn't a sport its a game? hahahahah, you're funny

Comment

So you are saying, Football, baseball, basketball, rugby, any team SPORT isn't a sport its a game? hahahahah, you're funny

Correct based on the 3 criteria above....Singles Tennis I think is the only exception I can think of.

Comment

Soccer is a Gort.

Comment

The rules in bowling and golf are not discretionary they are "set in stone". rules in soccer are discretionary and up to each referee to interpret them (from game to game). similar to kids playing a game in the back yard.

The dictionary is written by an English major geek possibly with no athletic experience.
                  nice try. it ain't in the same category as duck duck goose or dodgeball.

Comment

nice try. it ain't in the same category as duck duck goose or dodgeball.

Based on the above criteria would you put soccer in the same category with Boxing?

Dodge Ball is a great game which has its own Pro league and world cup as well but obviously not nearly as popular as soccer is considered the "Worlds Game".

Comment

Soccer is a Gort.
                      what is Gort?

Comment

what is Gort?
                        A game that is a sport.

Comment

Valuable Web traffic is being wasted on this thread...

Comment

Valuable Web traffic is being wasted on this thread...
                            Perhaps you are right...but its fun to argue this.

Comment

Perhaps you are right...but its fun to argue this.
                              It's not fun to argue because it's not an argument at all. Here is the first definition when I Googled "Definition of Sport":

sport
                              spôrt/Submit
                              noun
                              an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
                              team sports such as baseball and soccer

So they even use soccer as an example in their definition. End of discussion!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X