Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The ecnl showcases is on the west coast. Silly for the top tier northeast teams much less the lower tiers. Really wasteful use of resources.

Most northeast players are interested in eastern colleges. Seems more efficient to target the ID events of the schools that seem a good fit for your player. A dozen coaches watching are of no use when they are from schools that a kid won't be attending.
    I can't speak for others, but my daughter is absolutely interested in colleges outside of the east coast. The biggest frustration for her is that very few of the west coast or southern colleges are attending northeast tournaments (let alone a league playoff). Also, many of the east coast coaches she has talked with make the trip to the west coast for ECNL Showcase.

Comment

if she wants to go the west or elsewhere for college, have at it. Just saying most kids do not. That is just pesky facts and statistics. Nothing personal.
      Can you share the statistics?

Comment

I can't speak for others, but my daughter is absolutely interested in colleges outside of the east coast. The biggest frustration for her is that very few of the west coast or southern colleges are attending northeast tournaments (let alone a league playoff). Also, many of the east coast coaches she has talked with make the trip to the west coast for ECNL Showcase.
        I would not focus on the Northeast either if I were those colleges because statistically, they may not get many players.

East has dense concentration of good colleges and universities so less students leave the area then likely come to the area for college. That said - if she is out of here for college, the ECNL western showcases may be perfect for her.

Comment

Can you share the statistics?
          Fifty eight percent of high school graduates attend college within 100 miles of their hometown, while 72 percent stay in-state, according to Niche Ink. Only 11 percent of students venture more than 500 miles from their hometown. The regional disparity in state size is worth noting: Vermont is 80 miles wide, while Texas is nearly 775 miles wide.

From Washington Post using 2014 data.

This is just from a quick look but if you google it you will see lots of info about the topic. It is not surprising information.

Comment

Fifty eight percent of high school graduates attend college within 100 miles of their hometown, while 72 percent stay in-state, according to Niche Ink. Only 11 percent of students venture more than 500 miles from their hometown. The regional disparity in state size is worth noting: Vermont is 80 miles wide, while Texas is nearly 775 miles wide.

From Washington Post using 2014 data.

This is just from a quick look but if you google it you will see lots of info about the topic. It is not surprising information.
            And you're sure that these percentages apply to college soccer players? When I look at college soccer rosters, I see far more variety than this.

Comment

Not sure what you're getting at. My daughter is currently on a NE NPL team. That league is dissolving and the team will play ECNL RL next year. We've just been told that instead of the team possibly playing a 4-team/2 game tournament in June that almost no college coaches attend, we will go to the ECNL Showcase in June where dozens of coaches from schools my D has interest in will be. And this is somehow not better? You'll have to explain that one to me.

And before you tell me that no coaches at the ECNL Showcase will come see the "4th Division", I'll mention that in past years, D's team has played at the PDA Showcase and plenty of coaches whom she invited came to watch her play.
              If your D is already a NE NPL player and was told this then you must play at SUSA, who of course, will tell you anything in order to get you to pay your $4000/year. The chances of a west coast school looking at your daughter are slim to none, that's just fact. Stop worrying about how many coaches show up at a game and start worrying about how many are there specifically to watch your kid. It doesn't mean anything if there are 500 coaches there if they are all there to watch other kids. My guess is you have never been through this process before. Do your own research, don't listen to JR. What he should be telling you is that your daughter needs to contact coaches herself and then attend their ID clinics.

Comment

If your D is already a NE NPL player and was told this then you must play at SUSA, who of course, will tell you anything in order to get you to pay your $4000/year. The chances of a west coast school looking at your daughter are slim to none, that's just fact. Stop worrying about how many coaches show up at a game and start worrying about how many are there specifically to watch your kid. It doesn't mean anything if there are 500 coaches there if they are all there to watch other kids. My guess is you have never been through this process before. Do your own research, don't listen to JR. What he should be telling you is that your daughter needs to contact coaches herself and then attend their ID clinics.
                My daughter does not play at SUSA. And a west coast college (D3) has already been in touch with her based on her highlight video and coaches recommendation that she sent to the coach. They have said they would like to see her play in person, but unfortunately she has no current opportunity to play at any tournaments out west.

And yes, I agree that it doesn't matter if there are 500 coaches there. What matters is if the coaches from the colleges my D is interested in are there. I know 100% that those coaches from the west coast will not be at the NE NPL playoffs. I do know that at least a couple of the coaches from schools she is interested in will be at ECNL Showcase.

Comment

My daughter does not play at SUSA. And a west coast college (D3) has already been in touch with her based on her highlight video and coaches recommendation that she sent to the coach. They have said they would like to see her play in person, but unfortunately she has no current opportunity to play at any tournaments out west.

And yes, I agree that it doesn't matter if there are 500 coaches there. What matters is if the coaches from the colleges my D is interested in are there. I know 100% that those coaches from the west coast will not be at the NE NPL playoffs. I do know that at least a couple of the coaches from schools she is interested in will be at ECNL Showcase.
                  Ok let's rephrase. If your kid is actually planning to pursue college and college soccer in the west it on the west coast, attending a west coast showcase may be helpful. Is that better?

Comment

Ok let's rephrase. If your kid is actually planning to pursue college and college soccer in the west it on the west coast, attending a west coast showcase may be helpful. Is that better?
                    Yes, that is better. And that is why this feature of ECNL RL is more beneficial to my kid than the current NE NPL set-up. It gives her the opportunity to go to a west coast showcase whereas she did not have that opportunity with NE NPL. And beyond my own kid and her desire for a west coast college, my point is that her whole team benefits because the ECNL Showcase attracts college coaches from all over the country, compared to the NE NPL tournament, which may attract a few college coaches in the northeast but realistically does not attract many. Does it cost more? Perhaps the cost of a couple of airfares. But IMHO having the opportunity is better than not having the opportunity.

Comment

Yes, that is better. And that is why this feature of ECNL RL is more beneficial to my kid than the current NE NPL set-up. It gives her the opportunity to go to a west coast showcase whereas she did not have that opportunity with NE NPL. And beyond my own kid and her desire for a west coast college, my point is that her whole team benefits because the ECNL Showcase attracts college coaches from all over the country, compared to the NE NPL tournament, which may attract a few college coaches in the northeast but realistically does not attract many. Does it cost more? Perhaps the cost of a couple of airfares. But IMHO having the opportunity is better than not having the opportunity.
                      I disagree with your sales pitch so we will just have to disagree.

Comment

I disagree with your sales pitch so we will just have to disagree.
                        Not selling anything. Just don't see how getting an opportunity to participate in a more well-attended Showcase is somehow worse than going to a poorly attended league playoff. Other than the lack of airfare, there really isn't anything about the league playoff that is more attractive, is there?

Comment

Not selling anything. Just don't see how getting an opportunity to participate in a more well-attended Showcase is somehow worse than going to a poorly attended league playoff. Other than the lack of airfare, there really isn't anything about the league playoff that is more attractive, is there?
                          I would call both those events unnecessary and exclusionary and keeping kids out of the higher levels of soccer with little benefit to the players relative to the costs.

Comment

I think your advice is misleading and not applicable to all. My kid plays on an ECNL team (no not Susa) and has had 4 phone calls with college coaches (at the coaches request) this season. One was with a coach she targeted, the other 3 were with coaches that saw her play in a game where they were there to see someone else, but she stood out to them. She's only 14 and honestly, we thought those schools were out of her reach-guess not. 2 Big East, 1ACC and 1 Patriot-each and every one asked if she would be playing at PDA and San Diego and they were all planning to attend both. They also said they would like her to go to their ID clinics-2 offered to waive the fee, the other 2 didn't say anything about it-just to have her coach call and confirm that she was interested in attending before she registered online.
                            So our experience so far-East Coast schools go to West Coast Showcases, Unsolicited interest really does exist and schools have targeted players they're watching at their ID clinics.

Comment

I think your advice is misleading and not applicable to all. My kid plays on an ECNL team (no not Susa) and has had 4 phone calls with college coaches (at the coaches request) this season. One was with a coach she targeted, the other 3 were with coaches that saw her play in a game where they were there to see someone else, but she stood out to them. She's only 14 and honestly, we thought those schools were out of her reach-guess not. 2 Big East, 1ACC and 1 Patriot-each and every one asked if she would be playing at PDA and San Diego and they were all planning to attend both. They also said they would like her to go to their ID clinics-2 offered to waive the fee, the other 2 didn't say anything about it-just to have her coach call and confirm that she was interested in attending before she registered online.
                              So our experience so far-East Coast schools go to West Coast Showcases, Unsolicited interest really does exist and schools have targeted players they're watching at their ID clinics.
                              We are not talking about standout players on ECNL teams. We were talking about the ECRL level. What bracket will the team play in at PDA and at San Diego? is your child playing in the lower levels of these events?

Comment

Are you following this thread at all? No one said anything about the NE NPL playoffs, i agree, those are a joke, but we have been discussing the national NPL playoffs versus this ECRL playoff that they announced.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X