Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Precisely the problem. Oregon players are already behind other states even when they specialize in one sport. The elite players in other states concentrate on their top sport. The Oregon player that tries to split their time will fail vs the elite players that pick one sport to specialize in. Only chance is to pick your best and go for it. Never forget the small pond our Oregon players live in. Even local colleges look outside our little pond.
    Bingo. Track times are plain to see and compare across the nation. No elite loss for Academy players to pass on track, even in Oregon. Academy players have a special opportunity to specialize and become elite in soccer. Giving up high school sports is a small price to pay. Most premier club players don't even have time for multiple sports.

Comment

Those Academy players know they have no future in track but they do have a future in soccer. The elite track athletes that are still in soccer chose Ecnl or local club soccer so they can continue to play multiple sports. If those Academy players wanted to continue to play HS sports like track & basketball, they would've stayed on their top club soccer team with other top multisport athletes and playing on top HS soccer teams too.

I am excited to see how far these Academy top soccer players can go once they start specializing in soccer year round with USDA coaches, curriculum, leagues & tournaments. We might finally see some nationally elite soccer players developed in our state!

Comment

6A? Like I said, "Most". Only 6A medal I noticed was 7th place in a throwing event. Another freshman that didn't compete at all collected a team medal. In any case, no fear about giving up an elite track career for any of those GRA players. Soccer is where it's at.
        The reason the freshman from the 01/02 team didn't compete at the state track meet and collected a medal was because she had been injured. She was still on the track team and is currently one of the top sprinters in her 6A league.

Comment

Thorns Academy has great, elite soccer players but track won't be a problem going forward. 4 Academy players went to State but only one competed in the finals for an individual event - 7th place in discus. Only one Academy player competed in an individual running event but finished near the bottom of prelims & didn't advance. One did make it to the finals in a relay team from a small school but didn't qualify to compete even in prelims for any individual events. The 4th Academy player didn't qualify to compete at all and was just along for the ride. Makes sense to concentrate on soccer & play GDA.

Just scanning briefly, Non Academy soccer girls, however, won at least 3 2nd places, a 3rd place and a 4th place - all in individual running races. I'm sure there were many others. The legit track stars stayed at Ecnl or club teams. Eventually they might also choose to drop a sport & concentrate on just one sport. The multisport athletes tend to be younger. The days are gone of being able to be truly elite in multiple sports.

Comment

Bingo. Especially true for Oregon girls. Our girls can't keep up with the CA girls even when they specialize. Spread your time on multiple sports and fall further behind in both. The top Ecnl players generally don't even play other sports. Neither will CA GDA teams.

Comment

Thorns Academy has great, elite soccer players but track won't be a problem going forward. 4 Academy players went to State but only one competed in the finals for an individual event - 7th place in discus. Only one Academy player competed in an individual running event but finished near the bottom of prelims & didn't advance. One did make it to the finals in a relay team from a small school but didn't qualify to compete even in prelims for any individual events. The 4th Academy player didn't qualify to compete at all and was just along for the ride. Makes sense to concentrate on soccer & play GDA.

Just scanning briefly, Non Academy soccer girls, however, won at least 3 2nd places, a 3rd place and a 4th place - all in individual running races. I'm sure there were many others. The legit track stars stayed at Ecnl or club teams. Eventually they might also choose to drop a sport & concentrate on just one sport. The multisport athletes tend to be younger. The days are gone of being able to be truly elite in multiple sports.
              So tell me this. How many of the Non Academy soccer girls who won 2nd, 3rd and 4th places at the state track meet were freshman? Maybe none!

Comment

So tell me this. How many of the Non Academy soccer girls who won 2nd, 3rd and 4th places at the state track meet were freshman? Maybe none!
                Actually, all 3 2nd place finishes I saw were non-GDA freshmen. Also, at least one of the 3rd or 4th place finishes. That's just the few I saw though. There are probably more. Age isn't the point. Just look at all the middle schoolers that are faster. The point, is legit track stars don't have time or desire to do GDA and will likely drop soccer at some point. Makes perfect sense for the legit soccer stars that are good at track but not great to go GDA and become the best soccer players they can.

Comment

Actually, all 3 2nd place finishes I saw were non-GDA freshmen. Also, at least one of the 3rd or 4th place finishes. That's just the few I saw though. There are probably more. Age isn't the point. Just look at all the middle schoolers that are faster. The point, is legit track stars don't have time or desire to do GDA and will likely drop soccer at some point. Makes perfect sense for the legit soccer stars that are good at track but not great to go GDA and become the best soccer players they can.
                  You can't compare 2A to 6A and yes age does matter. Why don't you look at the Oregon rankings for 9th graders and see where the Thorns GDA girls are ranked in the state.

Comment

You can't compare 2A to 6A and yes age does matter. Why don't you look at the Oregon rankings for 9th graders and see where the Thorns GDA girls are ranked in the state.
                    There are no current standings or rankings for any GDA teams because the league will begin in its inaugural year in fall of 2017.

Comment

There are no current standings or rankings for any GDA teams because the league will begin in its inaugural year in fall of 2017.
                      They were talking about state track rankings.

Comment

The fact that you researched and cross referenced THIS much is completely creepy! Get a hobby!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X