SUSA Parents-Feedback

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is the hard part, finding something. You hear so much crap. What is everyone's opinion of some of the camps that the different leagues run, SUSA, Rough Riders, Red Bulls, ETC. One are they representative of how they run their programs, and what does anyone think of them who has used them?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      That is the hard part, finding something. You hear so much crap. What is everyone's opinion of some of the camps that the different leagues run, SUSA, Rough Riders, Red Bulls, ETC. One are they representative of how they run their programs, and what does anyone think of them who has used them?
      My son did the winter RDS Redbulls version of futsal. It is a try out program. The level of kids was high and they really dialed the kids on what they were trying to teach. He also did a spring break regular camp, I would pass on that. It was just kids playing, the RDS is focused training.

Comment

My son did the winter RDS Redbulls version of futsal. It is a try out program. The level of kids was high and they really dialed the kids on what they were trying to teach. He also did a spring break regular camp, I would pass on that. It was just kids playing, the RDS is focused training.
        that RDS program is very good. High caliber players.

Comment

I see a lot of people talking about different leagues like EDP, ECNL, NYCSL,?,?,? .. for the newbie, what league should your team or team you would want your child to be geared to if you and your kid are committed to soccer and think it will be their thing through HS. Ours is LIJSL and it seem more like a big intramural program with dad's as the coaches. While fun for the kids at this age, we don't want to get pigeon holed in the wrong league-team long term. Also what age would you think you need to make the transition from fun local team to the more serious team . What are some educated opinions.
          The top leagues are DA and then ECNL. After that it really doesn't matter.

Comment

The top leagues are DA and then ECNL. After that it really doesn't matter.
            Any good teams playing DA or ECNL in Mid Suffolk?

Comment

Any good teams playing DA or ECNL in Mid Suffolk?
              There is no such thing as DA and ECNL at U11. If you are really gung ho about all this sign up your kid for some training at some place like KK Athletics while you ride out the year with your existing team and then hit the tryouts hard in May/June.

Comment

There is no such thing as DA and ECNL at U11. If you are really gung ho about all this sign up your kid for some training at some place like KK Athletics while you ride out the year with your existing team and then hit the tryouts hard in May/June.
                The only thing you have to consider is, all things being equal, a kid at an ECNL club or DA club will have a big advantage during tryout season when being compared to a new kid. You know what you have, not just with the kid, but with the parents. This is no small thing. A new kid would have to be clearly better in order to be taken over a kid who has been with a club. This goes for any club from year to year.

Comment

The only thing you have to consider is, all things being equal, a kid at an ECNL club or DA club will have a big advantage during tryout season when being compared to a new kid. You know what you have, not just with the kid, but with the parents. This is no small thing. A new kid would have to be clearly better in order to be taken over a kid who has been with a club. This goes for any club from year to year.
                  I have found this not to be true -- I've seen clubs dump middle of the road kids that show up at practice day after day for a kid that makes a few nice plays at a tryout.

Comment

I have found this not to be true -- I've seen clubs dump middle of the road kids that show up at practice day after day for a kid that makes a few nice plays at a tryout.
                    Not OP but I have to side with him/her. We have been with same club for a few years and there may be a couple changes but the large majority has been the same. This is also true for the teams we play against locally and are familiar with. Out of town teams I cannot comment on as I haven't seen them for long enough.

Comment

My son did Red Bulls RDS Residential camps, and I couldn't recommend them more highly. The soccer was high level, and they teach great values and sportsmanship.

Agree with the OP, clubs stick with kids they know over similarly talented new kids.

Comment

My son did Red Bulls RDS Residential camps, and I couldn't recommend them more highly. The soccer was high level, and they teach great values and sportsmanship.

Agree with the OP, clubs stick with kids they know over similarly talented new kids.

I liked RDS too.. As for clubs sticking with kids... we have 3 levels and the A team is still 95% the same team it was 3 years ago, even with 50 kids trying out for spots... I think there is some sentimentality going on.... you would have to be a Messi to crack in at tryouts.

Comment

So if we wanted to align with those clubs next season, anyone know who they might be in Suffolk?

Comment

Do not just go to a team based on the league. DA and ECNL will cost a pretty penny so do your homework as best you can,

Look at your location, budget, the coach for your age group, your player skill and drive, estimated strength of the training group in your age group, etc.

Only Suffolk option is Fury and they spend much time at Nassau locations anyway and they have no teams until U14. Albertson players would most logically feed into Fury but Albertson is in Nassau.

Comment

Do not just go to a team based on the league. DA and ECNL will cost a pretty penny so do your homework as best you can,

Look at your location, budget, the coach for your age group, your player skill and drive, estimated strength of the training group in your age group, etc.

Only Suffolk option is Fury and they spend much time at Nassau locations anyway and they have no teams until U14. Albertson players would most logically feed into Fury but Albertson is in Nassau.
                              The reason I ask and am looking for informed info like yours is, when talking with people out there the information is more like you are reading the back of the net. No real info, more chest puffing, or derogatory talk. Its so bad and unclear you almost say for your kid not to play soccer and just put the money in the bank for college....
                              Don't get let me start about the parents on the sidelines at the U11 age I have seen so far... They should be embarrassed

Comment

The reason I ask and am looking for informed info like yours is, when talking with people out there the information is more like you are reading the back of the net. No real info, more chest puffing, or derogatory talk. Its so bad and unclear you almost say for your kid not to play soccer and just put the money in the bank for college....
                                Don't get let me start about the parents on the sidelines at the U11 age I have seen so far... They should be embarrassed
                                Not OP, but figured I'd drop in. My U14 is my 3rd kid playing LI soccer. U10 & 11 seem to be the ages where the parents are the craziest. Sure, some remain as the kids get older, but I've found a lot of the nonsense weeds itself out as the girls get older. If you look at BOTN, the threads for the older age groups don't really get a lot of action. Not to be rude, but it seems the higher the league, the less parental BS.

I agree with OP that Fury GDA is the top destination spot right now. My kid knows a few players on her age group team and they're very talented. It's basically a combo of Alby's (last year)top ECNL and East Meadow's (last year) top ECNL players. A lot of regional ODP players and national training center players. Alby ECNL is kind of like the red headed step child now that the club is focused on GDA. Alby ECNL players parents will disagree, but it's the truth.

Next up would be East Meadow ECNL, as far as strength of club/league. I know the team in my kid's age group lost a lot of top players to Fury, but they were able to pick up some great players from Atletico and a couple other teams.

Albertson,and now Fury, and East Meadow players have been playing musical chairs back and forth for the last few years. Once you get to ECNL and now GDA, things get a little more political because there's more at stake and players/parents focus more on individual progress and success, as opposed to "team wins". Sure they care about winning and losing, but individual success is stressed.

Then you have the NPLs, EDPs, Region 1s. As far as I've seen, these are basically "Any Given Sunday" teams-Smithtown, Susa, Atletico, Massapequa, etc. can have a great game one week and then botch the next.
                                Pre-GDA days, these were good secondary league options for kids who were looking to play at a strong level, but not interested in $$$ and travel involved in ECNL. Whether accurate or not, the introduction of the GDA has now relocated NPLs and EDPs (perception wise) to third tier status. Susa and Massapequa have a pretty good track record of college placement, but I don't know if that changes with a new league.

I've seen a lot in the last decade and a half and hope I was able to offer some real info for you. I try to look at things as objectively as possible. I have no delusions about my Kid or her team

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X