Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skill not Fitness

Here is a bubble popper for many soccer clubs that spend time working on fitness without a ball.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...n-matches.html

Study found that players with better balance and skill win the most matches

By contrast, those who are the fastest, strongest or fittest have less of an impact

90% of research on football players is based on how to improve their speed, strength, and agility — not their skill

Fitness is a skill.

Comment

Stupidest study ever. Are they saying that all skilled players are slow and unfit?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Fitness is a skill.
        Without skill fitness doesn't matter. Any track or cross country star can run up and down the field

Comment

Fitness is a skill.
          I hope this was sarcasm. Fitness is not a skill.

Comment

Stupidest study ever. Are they saying that all skilled players are slow and unfit?
            They are saying we are focused on attributes that do not help develop players to their full potential.

Comment

Colleges and beyond want both!

But often have to settle for the best skill they can find because very few truly have both elite skill and elite speed.

Comment

The public wants speed

Skill=watching a chess match
                Speed=watching the NCAA basketball championship
                Unless a player can develop an interesting and highly marketable image outside the game, this sport is boring without speed #familyfansonly

Comment

But often have to settle for the best skill they can find because very few truly have both elite skill and elite speed.
                  Elite speed isn't elite fitness. A sprinter likely won't last the 5+ miles run in a good soccer match.

Comment

They are saying we are focused on attributes that do not help develop players to their full potential.
                    I believe this. When is the last time you saw soccer players working on foot skills at the majority of the practices? Skill without fitness is not going to get a player to the top of his/her game, and fitness without soccer skill will never get one to the top.

Comment

I know this topic.

I coach intermediate level teams. Think of it like a hybrid between Rec level and Premier. Anyway, because I only work with the kids a couple of hours a week, and about 7 months per year, I've figured out that my time is best spent working on Soccer IQ and Skills. I ask them to do their own fitness because my short sessions and few sessions really can't make a dent in what they need. Because my kids do this, they win a high percentage of games in their bracket.

However, I have a friend who coaches a Premier level team, and they work 4 to 5 hours a week minimum almost year round. He "mashes" them fairly routinely. So they can maintain play at high speed and outlast the other teams. They wear out the opponents. But he spends enough time on skills to make sure they are up to par. And they win. They win more than most teams in this area.

IMHO, there is a minimum threshold of skills training, and any additional time should be spent on fitness. That seems to be what helps you win at all levels.

Comment

I believe this. When is the last time you saw soccer players working on foot skills at the majority of the practices? Skill without fitness is not going to get a player to the top of his/her game, and fitness without soccer skill will never get one to the top.
                        Another misconception seems to be that "skill" means only foot or ball skills. Americans need to expand their thinking to ball striking (passing, shooting, crossing, weight of each, curving passes, applying English, 1 touch, two touch, from stopped balls, moving balls, volleys, half-volleys, instep drive, outside of foot etc.), controlling the ball with all surfaces of many body parts, defending, fakes, and yes other attacking moves (tricks & faints).

Comment

Any team running around without a ball there is something wrong.

Comment

I would take a player that is strong, fast, and skilled over one who is weak, slow, and skilled any day of the week.

Comment

Here is a bubble popper for many soccer clubs that spend time working on fitness without a ball.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...n-matches.html

Study found that players with better balance and skill win the most matches

By contrast, those who are the fastest, strongest or fittest have less of an impact

90% of research on football players is based on how to improve their speed, strength, and agility — not their skill
                              As posted by the director/coach who has an out of shape team that cant play 90 minutes.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X