Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Men's National Team

Interesting article on the behind the scenes relationship with Klinsmann and why they ultimately fired him

Not sure who looks worse Gulati or Klinsmann

http://www.espnfc.com/club/united-st...-soccer-chiefs

For all of calling for Gulati to be fired too, myself included... think again

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/sports/soccer/sunil-gulati-us-soccer-jurgen-klinsmann.html?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      For all of calling for Gulati to be fired too, myself included... think again

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/sports/soccer/sunil-gulati-us-soccer-jurgen-klinsmann.html?
      http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/sports/soccer/sunil-gulati-us-soccer-jurgen-klinsmann.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/sp...ann.html?&_r=0

Try it again

Comment

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/s...dual-nationals

Comment

great quote - "I'd do anything to be on the field. I'll play injured, I'll take an injection, I'll do anything. Anything. It's not just me; there are a bunch of players who would do that. But in order to be a great team, in order to be one of the best U.S. teams -- which we have been in the past -- you need everybody, everybody to have that drive, that desire."

The fact that JK felt the need to shop for dual nationals outside the US is a clear indication DA isn't working. He also told players with pro potential to go abroad to develop, not stay here. He's a lousy coach but he was right about that. and if his job was to create the best team possible I don't blame him for trying any and all options for players. That's why US colleges are shopping overseas as well. If they could find the same talent here they wouldn't need to.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1974202]great quote - "
              The fact that JK felt the need to shop for dual nationals outside the US is a clear indication DA isn't working. He also told players with pro potential to go abroad to develop, not stay here.QUOTE]

So fix the damn system here (or at least make an effort)rather than farm out development to other countries. Classic case of giving a man a fish rather than teaching him to fish. We need an inspirational leader with some marketing wisdom to get through to young players and coaches what is necessary to build a proper foundation to build on in this country.

Did Klinnsman ever show up at an academy practice? A youth game of any kind? Did he ever talk or attempt to teach or inspire the game to anyone rather than simply say, "Go abroad and learn"?

We need a 'doer' that finds answers to the true problems rather than excuse makers. Will Bruce Arena be that man? We will find out. At least the country as a whole gets such a man as President tomorrow.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1974237]
                great quote - "
                The fact that JK felt the need to shop for dual nationals outside the US is a clear indication DA isn't working. He also told players with pro potential to go abroad to develop, not stay here.QUOTE]

So fix the damn system here (or at least make an effort)rather than farm out development to other countries. Classic case of giving a man a fish rather than teaching him to fish. We need an inspirational leader with some marketing wisdom to get through to young players and coaches what is necessary to build a proper foundation to build on in this country.

Did Klinnsman ever show up at an academy practice? A youth game of any kind? Did he ever talk or attempt to teach or inspire the game to anyone rather than simply say, "Go abroad and learn"?

We need a 'doer' that finds answers to the true problems rather than excuse makers. Will Bruce Arena be that man? We will find out. At least the country as a whole gets such a man as President tomorrow.
                Problem is you need someone who is not only a good coach, but a visionary who can design and execute a system that would work here (as opposed to what works elsewhere). I'm of the mind that the NT coach should not be the same person as the one running the overall program. The likelihood of finding a person who can do both well is almost none

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1974237]
                  great quote - "

We need a 'doer' that finds answers to the true problems rather than excuse makers. Will Bruce Arena be that man? We will find out.
                  If you want this board to try and make it, keep the political BS off. Fixed it for you.

Comment

great quote - "I'd do anything to be on the field. I'll play injured, I'll take an injection, I'll do anything. Anything. It's not just me; there are a bunch of players who would do that. But in order to be a great team, in order to be one of the best U.S. teams -- which we have been in the past -- you need everybody, everybody to have that drive, that desire."

The fact that JK felt the need to shop for dual nationals outside the US is a clear indication DA isn't working. He also told players with pro potential to go abroad to develop, not stay here. He's a lousy coach but he was right about that. and if his job was to create the best team possible I don't blame him for trying any and all options for players. That's why US colleges are shopping overseas as well. If they could find the same talent here they wouldn't need to.
                    Dual nationals are quite common in soccer. Majority of national teams deploy dual nationals. That's not a sign that DAP isn't working. DAP isn't working for reasons other than dual nationals

Comment

Dual nationals are quite common in soccer. Majority of national teams deploy dual nationals. That's not a sign that DAP isn't working. DAP isn't working for reasons other than dual nationals
                      No said DA isn't working because of dual nationals, but that it's a sign that DA isn't working. Granted JK isn't the world's sharpest tack, but he was frustrated by level of talent here in the US. DA has been around for ten years but he shopped abroad. Maybe it's a European bias, but clearly college coaches feel similarly.

Comment

No said DA isn't working because of dual nationals, but that it's a sign that DA isn't working. Granted JK isn't the world's sharpest tack, but he was frustrated by level of talent here in the US. DA has been around for ten years but he shopped abroad. Maybe it's a European bias, but clearly college coaches feel similarly.
                        USMNT have always had dual nationals. Before, during and after Klinsmanm. Spain and Germany also have dual nationals.

Comment

USMNT have always had dual nationals. Before, during and after Klinsmanm. Spain and Germany also have dual nationals.
                          If you read TH's full interview he said there are US players that also lacked enthusiasm, not just dual national players. In fact he said a few were outstanding. TH doesn't understand it because by his accounts he lived and breathed the national team. He certainly did his job getting out there and pitching it often, even supporting the women's team as well. Not sure JK inspired loads of enthusiasm.

Comment

If you read TH's full interview he said there are US players that also lacked enthusiasm, not just dual national players. In fact he said a few were outstanding. TH doesn't understand it because by his accounts he lived and breathed the national team. He certainly did his job getting out there and pitching it often, even supporting the women's team as well. Not sure JK inspired loads of enthusiasm.
                            I read the full interview and his follow up interview where he qualified his statement to include other players. In fact I posted the original link

I was merely noting that dual nationals aren't specific to American soccer. Germany and Spain has relied on dual national. Klose, Podolski and Costa are all dual nationals.

I prefer Jermaine Jones perspective that's it's not about nationality but rather heart.

Comment

Time to shine NY

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/08/29...lati-us-soccer

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X