Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former Oregon State head coach Kagan now AC at WSU

The former OSU head coach Kagan is now a Cougar assistant coach. That makes two former head Pac 12 coaches as Cougar assistant coaches. Very strong staff.

none

Should probably look into why he was forced out of OSU's HC position... Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Should probably look into why he was forced out of OSU's HC position... Just sayin.
      Also ask MK about the cover up that took place at the University of Miami. He knew.

Comment

Good luck MK, good guy, good coach.

Shame about the losers moaning on an anonymous forum.

Comment

Good luck MK, good guy, good coach.

Shame about the losers moaning on an anonymous forum.
          After doing a search there does seem to be a lot of bad things that happened at that MK and other guys are running from which doesn't seem to make him a good guy.

Comment

Notice there is NO mention of his time at the University of Miami. Don't you think they would have something in his intro that would mention the success he had at an ACC school? That time period at the University of Miami sure seems to be a mystery for a number of coaches that worked on the staff at that time. Wonder why nothing is written about Miami?? Also wonder if the women on the WSU team would have an issue with what happened at Miami? If there were women on the coaching staff they would have issues, but they don't have any female coaches.... No red flags for the SWA or AD?? You sure about this one Todd?

PULLMAN, Wash. - Washington State soccer head coach Todd Shulenberger announced Friday the newest addition to the coaching staff, assistant coach Matt Kagan. Kagan adds another veteran Pac-12 head coach to the Cougars' staff after spending the last two seasons at Oregon State. Kagan replaces Jon Harvey who left the program in June.

"I am very excited to welcome Matt and his wife Jessica to WSU," said Shulenberger. "Matt has had a ton of success both as a head coach and assistant and will fit right in here with the Cougs. We are excited to get started. Go Cougs."

In two seasons at Oregon State, Kagan helped turn around a Beaver team that struggled to find its footing in the Pac-12. In his first season, the new head coach led OSU to one of the biggest turnarounds in NCAA history posting 11-wins, a nine-win improvement from the year before and the most for a Beaver squad in nearly a decade. In addition, Kagan revamped the Beavers' offense as OSU went from scoring six goals the previous year to 31 in 2019. Playing a pandemic altered season in the spring of 2021, the Beavers made the most of their shortened campaign coming up with a signature win early in the spring as OSU defeated No. 3 Stanford, 2-1, for just the second win over the Cardinal in program history.

Under his guidance the Beavers would pick up three all-conference awards in two seasons after finishing the previous two years before his arrival without a postseason award. Additionally, Sydney Studer, who joined the Cougs as a transfer in June, was named an all-region honoree under Kagan's tutelage in 2020 becoming the first Beaver to earn such an honor in nearly a decade and just the 10th to earn the award in the program's history.

Prior to OSU Kagan spent two seasons as the associate head coach at Mississippi State where he helped lead the Bulldogs to their most successful seasons in program history. In his first year in Starkville the Bulldogs posted their best record in nearly 20 years while in 2018 the team earned its first top-25 ranking and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history.

In total, Kagan has been a part of nine teams that have earned NCAA Tournament bids with a third of those teams advancing all the way to the third round.

Kagan is a 2002 graduate of Southern New Hampshire University where he led his team to three NCAA Tournament appearances including a national runner-up finish as a senior. He earned both a bachelor's (sports management) and master's degree (business administration) from Southern New Hampshire.

"I am extremely thankful to Todd for this amazing opportunity to join the Cougar soccer program," said Kagan. "The proximity to our family combined with the ability to work with close friends is something my wife and I are excited about. I can't wait to get started in Pullman! Go Cougs!"

Comment

You have to do your due diligence with coaches during the recruiting process, that's for sure. The guy MK worked for whose behavior was covered up is working as a D1 head coach again

Feel bad for the players MK recruited who don't know who their coach will be

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3042502]You have to do your due diligence with coaches during the recruiting process, that's for sure. The guy MK worked for whose behavior was covered up is working as a D1 head coach again

As far as I know the guy was fired from UIC and does not have a job in women's coaching right now. The other coaches that knew what happened at Miami, and helped keep things on the DL, are still coaching and are at ECU, Delaware, NC State and now WSU. Greg Ryan was fired at Michigan. The AD or SWA gets wind of the situation and then makes a change down the road.

Comment

If we were talking about a TA hiring then what happened a decade ago in Miami would be relevant. But we aren't. He was an assistant coach there and turned the other way when he should have reported TA. Egregious mistake but unless there was similar events in other schools since then or they involved Kagen directly I think we can assume Miami wasn't the reason he was allowed to resign/let go from OSU.

Could it be that he simply still isn't ready to be a head coach and all the responsibilities that go along with it? That he was supposed to be this great recruiter but was unable to get even a halfway decent recruiting class at OSU?

He's now an assistant coach and Shulenberger's responsibility. Can't see Shulenberger putting his career (and it's rising!) in Kagan's hands without being sure of the history, his decision, and Kagan.

Comment

If we were talking about a TA hiring then what happened a decade ago in Miami would be relevant. But we aren't. He was an assistant coach there and turned the other way when he should have reported TA. Egregious mistake but unless there was similar events in other schools since then or they involved Kagen directly I think we can assume Miami wasn't the reason he was allowed to resign/let go from OSU.

Could it be that he simply still isn't ready to be a head coach and all the responsibilities that go along with it? That he was supposed to be this great recruiter but was unable to get even a halfway decent recruiting class at OSU?

He's now an assistant coach and Shulenberger's responsibility. Can't see Shulenberger putting his career (and it's rising!) in Kagan's hands without being sure of the history, his decision, and Kagan.
                    After what took place at Miami (it was pretty much as bad as it gets for a male coaching women) took place, Kagan had a choice to distance himself from that terrible situation and TA, however he chose to join TA again at Mississippi State! He went back to him!! Which basically means he had no issue with what transpired at Miami. TA got away with it, then gets back into coaching through shady channels, and Kagan rejoined him. I am willing to bet the AD’s at WSU don’t know what TA did at Miami, and I am willing to bet you don’t either. Absolutely one of the most scumbag occurrences, and Matt Kagan went back to TA! Should a guys like this still be coaching college women? Should they be coaching at all?? When the people at WSU find out, Kagan is done. It will happen.

Comment

Just remember folks... All roads lead to Pullman. Not surprising at all.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3042586]
                        You have to do your due diligence with coaches during the recruiting process, that's for sure. The guy MK worked for whose behavior was covered up is working as a D1 head coach again

As far as I know the guy was fired from UIC and does not have a job in women's coaching right now. The other coaches that knew what happened at Miami, and helped keep things on the DL, are still coaching and are at ECU, Delaware, NC State and now WSU. Greg Ryan was fired at Michigan. The AD or SWA gets wind of the situation and then makes a change down the road.
                        You're right - he was fired from UIC in 2020 but hasn't updated his linked in...and yet, fact remaimins that he got a D1 job after his big scandal!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;3042741]

You're right - he was fired from UIC in 2020 but hasn't updated his linked in...and yet, fact remaimins that he got a D1 job after his big scandal!!
                          His path to that job was made possible by Greg Ryan and Tim Santoro, without them TA never gets back to college coaching. MK went back to TA after all of it. WSU made a blunder.

Comment

After what took place at Miami (it was pretty much as bad as it gets for a male coaching women) took place, Kagan had a choice to distance himself from that terrible situation and TA, however he chose to join TA again at Mississippi State! He went back to him!! Which basically means he had no issue with what transpired at Miami. TA got away with it, then gets back into coaching through shady channels, and Kagan rejoined him. I am willing to bet the AD’s at WSU don’t know what TA did at Miami, and I am willing to bet you don’t either. Absolutely one of the most scumbag occurrences, and Matt Kagan went back to TA! Should a guys like this still be coaching college women? Should they be coaching at all?? When the people at WSU find out, Kagan is done. It will happen.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. What was done at Miami has been all over the soccer world for YEARS. And now you are basically saying an AD at a major university would be unaware? Ok, maybe that's true but the HC? How can you even say he wouldn't have heard of it with a straight face? The college soccer community is not that big and a 45 second google search would have turned up enough red flags to start an investigation prior to actually hiring him.

I get not wanting to hire TA. I get that those hiring him after Miami were enablers. But, nobody has said that MK did anything. MK is not TA.

Comment

This is exactly what I'm talking about. What was done at Miami has been all over the soccer world for YEARS. And now you are basically saying an AD at a major university would be unaware? Ok, maybe that's true but the HC? How can you even say he wouldn't have heard of it with a straight face? The college soccer community is not that big and a 45 second google search would have turned up enough red flags to start an investigation prior to actually hiring him.

I get not wanting to hire TA. I get that those hiring him after Miami were enablers. But, nobody has said that MK did anything. MK is not TA.
                              So you work for the worst of the worst, only to return to working for the worst of the worst after you know what the worst of the worst did?? MK enabled TA. MK knew everything that went on at Miami. As for WSU, Miami covered up what happened, so the only reference check you will get from Miami is a confirmation these clowns worked at Miami, nothing more. Again, this is a guy worth risking the health of your program? Foolish.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X