• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    Valor, BVB, Valencia, Spokane Sounders
    what about them?

Comment

I just don't understand why you think this is unfortunate. It just seems like good planning and preparation on the part of the coaches/top players. Do you really think a coach should just go to a tryout prepared to dump his whole roster that probably has had kids on it for years, who he knows and trusts? And yes at the A team level, the coaches know the other players in the area. They see them at games, and for sure they have an idea whether they'd fit in with the team (and be strong and help them win). There's nothing wrong with a parent contacting a coach in advance about their kid who may be interested in moving teams. That way the coach can watch some game footage, and maybe even go to a game. If that's what you're calling politics, then yes that's part of it. But I wouldn't call it unfortunate, just good sense.

Here's an example - say you have a U16 ECNL player and you are moving out-of-state. Would you really just have your player show up to a new ECNL club on tryout day, without having contacted the coach of the team? Of course not. You'd contact the coach well in advance, send game links, etc...
      Original post wasn’t talking about TOP players. It was the C team. And why not be up front and say hey, honestly we only have 1 spot for all 40 of you above average but not TOP players. Saves time and money. (Preston is out of the way and tryouts cost money) It’s like falsely advertising that ALL are welcome.

Comment

Original post wasn’t talking about TOP players. It was the C team. And why not be up front and say hey, honestly we only have 1 spot for all 40 of you above average but not TOP players. Saves time and money. (Preston is out of the way and tryouts cost money) It’s like falsely advertising that ALL are welcome.
        If all 40 of them actually think they have a good shot at making the A team, they (and/or their parents) are delusional. In the tryouts I've been to, there are at most 5 borderline kids that show up. Most know that they are shooting for the B or C team, which is still a better situation than most Select-level programs.

Comment

Other clubs have tryouts at the same day; if they knew the true odds, they would have been better off going for a club like Titans or Gunners or Bellevue United instead of take their shot at a 40:1 odds.

Comment

Other clubs have tryouts at the same day; if they knew the true odds, they would have been better off going for a club like Titans or Gunners or Bellevue United instead of take their shot at a 40:1 odds.
            Those clubs have different tryout days than the ECNL clubs. Nothing stopping kids from going to ECNL and if they don't make the A squad, trying out for those other clubs later in the week.

Comment

Whats dumb is parents thinking they have a shot at XF.

Comment

Field space isn't the driving issue here. If Eastside was in it for just the money they would have ECNL1, ECNL2, ECRL, RCL1 , 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 teams by now. I thought this is what they were starting to do by adding the Bellevue location but it hasn't really added net new teams.
                It wouldn’t be called a “tryout” if all are welcome. Sorry your kid didn’t make it. I don’t think the issue is with Eastside. Perhaps disappointment? Not all clubs and teams are equal levels. Doesn’t mean a kid can’t enjoy the game somewhere else.

Comment

Most parents in the know negotiate their kids spot with the coach well before tryouts.

Good for you for noticing what’s going on.
                  Can you explain what you mean by “negotiate”? How?

Are you saying they can buy their way in, as in a bribe?

The coach is going to pick best player no matter what. I’m sorry your kid didn’t get in.

Comment

Went to Eastside tryout….wasn’t even trying out for the top team. But let’s just say all the teams were picked before and majority were returning players. (I can tell because the parents have big mouths) That’s fine but why not be transparent and say so. Felt like a waste of time and money. It was also insulting when all the returning players had their Eastside jerseys and were taking turns in goalie when they obviously were not regular goalies.

a waste of money? I’m sorry, you’ve spent 25$ for three days of of scrimmaging and exercising.

a waste of time? Yeah, sounds like soccer is a waste of time for your kid. It’s not for everyone.

And good clubs will always have the majority be returning players. That’s actually an indication they are doing the right thing.

Comment

This. The idea that a tryout is an equitable selection is just plain dumb. Of course existing players have the upper hand. Unless your child is seen for the first time and clearly and significantly superior to existing players, your child likely won't displace any top team player and may displace a lower tier player.
                      They do have an upper hand as they should. There’s no good reason to replace existing players with new ones of about the same caliber.

Comment

I was the naive parent who thought sports would be a meritocracy. It's BS.

Comment

I was the naive parent who thought sports would be a meritocracy. It's BS.
                          Maybe your little snowflake isnt as good as you think they are. Or maybe they have your victim mentality as well and the coach didnt want anything to do with them. Even more likely, the coach met you and didnt want anything to do with you.

victim

Comment

Maybe your little snowflake isnt as good as you think they are. Or maybe they have your victim mentality as well and the coach didnt want anything to do with them. Even more likely, the coach met you and didnt want anything to do with you.

victim
                            Or maybe I have two kids successfully playing in college, which I do. That doesn't mean the process is perfect. Huge room for improvement in the youth soccer system but hey, calling people names on the internet is a great use of your time. Enjoy!

Comment

Or maybe I have two kids successfully playing in college, which I do. That doesn't mean the process is perfect. Huge room for improvement in the youth soccer system but hey, calling people names on the internet is a great use of your time. Enjoy!
                              thats cap

Comment

Can you explain what you mean by “negotiate”? How?

Are you saying they can buy their way in, as in a bribe?

The coach is going to pick best player no matter what. I’m sorry your kid didn’t get in.

You have an awful lot to learn about competitive youth soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X