Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why bother with a tryout?

Went to Eastside tryout….wasn’t even trying out for the top team. But let’s just say all the teams were picked before and majority were returning players. (I can tell because the parents have big mouths) That’s fine but why not be transparent and say so. Felt like a waste of time and money. It was also insulting when all the returning players had their Eastside jerseys and were taking turns in goalie when they obviously were not regular goalies.

Most parents in the know negotiate their kids spot with the coach well before tryouts.

Good for you for noticing what’s going on.

Comment

It happen to us at wpfc a few years back. On the ride home after tryouts and not be selected for the top team, the b team coach and explained the BS process. Because we were new to the club, we had to put pre time in first on a lower team.
      The hell with that. Next year we sent to a different club and put a beat down on wpfc each time.

Comment

You can beat the tryout game. Years ago we brought entire team to a tryout. That team was tight and had just come off the state comp. By bring a team they passed well players knew where to pass. The club took every player we brought and spread them over 3 teams.

There was a big turn over of players that year on all teams. So don’t be afraid of the tryouts. Teams take players every year.

Comment

Ok, I see how observing that could be discouraging. But think about it from the other side. Say you have a team that has been together for several years. They've learned how to play with each other and work hard, and the coach is happy with their performance and work ethic. Then you have tryouts, and there are some new kids that may appear to be about the same level as the current players. What do you expect a coach to do, cut an existing player in favor of a new one he/she has hardly seen play? Especially if the new player doesn't seem to be way better than the existing players? That would be ridiculous. If a new kid at tryouts absolutely blew everyone out of the water, in that case the coach would probably add them to the roster! I mean, duh, they want to win (unless it's PAC, haha - that's a joke!). But it's just absurd to think they're going to choose a new mix of kids about the same level. I've seen a lot of tryouts and it's pretty rare that a kid comes to a tryout and blows everyone else away. Also, if a coach has doubts about an existing player, a good one will be communicating it throughout the season, giving the player the chance to work on improving, or finding another team that is a better fit. It would be pretty rare for a coach to just dump a current player right at tryout time, with no prior communications about performance (that's just been my experience FWIW).

The sensible thing to do is start contacting coaches of teams you're interested in, a couple of months before tryouts. Talk to the coach about your kid and their experience. Invite them to a game (good coaches who think there is talent will absolutely do that!). And/or, send links to game film - just about every team films their games these days! And if your kid is serious about leaving their club, go ahead and leave officially, then you can start coming to practices at the club you're interested in, so the coach can see the player over time. And sure, the kid might have to start on a lower team and prove they should be moved up. That's how the world works!!!

This idea that it's so unfair and all that, I mean just use common sense and be thoughtful with your approach. A minor point, I do think all kids should wear neutral clothing, less intimidating for new kids showing up to tryouts. But on the other hand, at the very core it's a competitive activity, so that's just one of the hurdles. There is rec and select if the pressure is too much. And there are great players in all levels that are having a blast! All this hassle about the top team is largely parent-driven and pointless

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
            Ok, I see how observing that could be discouraging. But think about it from the other side. Say you have a team that has been together for several years. They've learned how to play with each other and work hard, and the coach is happy with their performance and work ethic. Then you have tryouts, and there are some new kids that may appear to be about the same level as the current players. What do you expect a coach to do, cut an existing player in favor of a new one he/she has hardly seen play? Especially if the new player doesn't seem to be way better than the existing players? That would be ridiculous. If a new kid at tryouts absolutely blew everyone out of the water, in that case the coach would probably add them to the roster! I mean, duh, they want to win (unless it's PAC, haha - that's a joke!). But it's just absurd to think they're going to choose a new mix of kids about the same level. I've seen a lot of tryouts and it's pretty rare that a kid comes to a tryout and blows everyone else away. Also, if a coach has doubts about an existing player, a good one will be communicating it throughout the season, giving the player the chance to work on improving, or finding another team that is a better fit. It would be pretty rare for a coach to just dump a current player right at tryout time, with no prior communications about performance (that's just been my experience FWIW).

The sensible thing to do is start contacting coaches of teams you're interested in, a couple of months before tryouts. Talk to the coach about your kid and their experience. Invite them to a game (good coaches who think there is talent will absolutely do that!). And/or, send links to game film - just about every team films their games these days! And if your kid is serious about leaving their club, go ahead and leave officially, then you can start coming to practices at the club you're interested in, so the coach can see the player over time. And sure, the kid might have to start on a lower team and prove they should be moved up. That's how the world works!!!

This idea that it's so unfair and all that, I mean just use common sense and be thoughtful with your approach. A minor point, I do think all kids should wear neutral clothing, less intimidating for new kids showing up to tryouts. But on the other hand, at the very core it's a competitive activity, so that's just one of the hurdles. There is rec and select if the pressure is too much. And there are great players in all levels that are having a blast! All this hassle about the top team is largely parent-driven and pointless
            This. The idea that a tryout is an equitable selection is just plain dumb. Of course existing players have the upper hand. Unless your child is seen for the first time and clearly and significantly superior to existing players, your child likely won't displace any top team player and may displace a lower tier player.

Comment

Agree as well.

Want to add that starting on a lower team especially while young is not that big a deal. If your kid belongs on a higher team and has a good work ethic, they will move up. When my kids were younger I witnessed kids/families skip out on games/practices for many reasons (including too wet/cold weather and would rather not drive 1.5 hrs for a sat 9am game). Commitment, attitude, etc are other intangibles that can weigh in favor of a known player. It's not personal.

Also on wearing club attire. Our club used to specify no club attire, but the majority of the kids didn't adhere to the policy. I think they gave up.

Comment

A better approach would be to attend practices later in the summer. The coach will have more time to evaluate a player and they are always looking for extra money for the club and to improve a roster.

my kids team had a constant stream of tryouts from August thru tryouts.

the level of crazy parents trying to call in favors around the tryout dates doesn’t allow a tru evaluation of all players It’s more kabuki theater than a real tryout.

Comment

100% what Eastside (& other clubs) do at tryouts. Coaches know who will be on their rosters already especially for top 2 teams. They’ve already guaranteed spots to top players if they come over from other (ecnl) clubs & have been reviewing film or watching their games. Often times the manager on the team knows or recruits (from EPD, etc.) as well & sometimes recommends those players but of course as long as their kid is guaranteed a spot. Tryouts are just for “show”. Lots of politics at play unfortunately.

Comment

HOWEVER…if a club is really trying to grow, that’s where you want to be. More opportunities.

Comment

Valor, BVB, Valencia, Spokane Sounders

Comment

This is why the for-profit clubs like Titans grow. If more kids show up for a tryout, they'll form an additional team and hire a coach. Their goal is to find a spot for every kid who shows up because not doing so leaves money on the table (...or on the pitch?).
                        The true non-profit clubs are not as incentivized or equipped to do this which causes a gap in the market and makes room for the for-profit clubs to come in.

I use the term 'true non-profit' because there are clubs out there that are non-profit on paper but operate more like they are for-profit (e.g. Gunners/Liverpool).

Comment

This is why the for-profit clubs like Titans grow. If more kids show up for a tryout, they'll form an additional team and hire a coach. Their goal is to find a spot for every kid who shows up because not doing so leaves money on the table (...or on the pitch?).
                          The true non-profit clubs are not as incentivized or equipped to do this which causes a gap in the market and makes room for the for-profit clubs to come in.

I use the term 'true non-profit' because there are clubs out there that are non-profit on paper but operate more like they are for-profit (e.g. Gunners/Liverpool).
                          Wrong again. Non-profit has nothing to do with it. All teams are incentivized to form teams, but do they have the field space? Maybe Titans don't have field space issues and can form unlimited rec teams. But premier club teams can only have one team at ECNL and only have enough field space for a certain number of teams at each age etc.

Comment

Field space isn't the driving issue here. If Eastside was in it for just the money they would have ECNL1, ECNL2, ECRL, RCL1 , 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 teams by now. I thought this is what they were starting to do by adding the Bellevue location but it hasn't really added net new teams.

Comment

100% what Eastside (& other clubs) do at tryouts. Coaches know who will be on their rosters already especially for top 2 teams. They’ve already guaranteed spots to top players if they come over from other (ecnl) clubs & have been reviewing film or watching their games. Often times the manager on the team knows or recruits (from EPD, etc.) as well & sometimes recommends those players but of course as long as their kid is guaranteed a spot. Tryouts are just for “show”. Lots of politics at play unfortunately.
                              I just don't understand why you think this is unfortunate. It just seems like good planning and preparation on the part of the coaches/top players. Do you really think a coach should just go to a tryout prepared to dump his whole roster that probably has had kids on it for years, who he knows and trusts? And yes at the A team level, the coaches know the other players in the area. They see them at games, and for sure they have an idea whether they'd fit in with the team (and be strong and help them win). There's nothing wrong with a parent contacting a coach in advance about their kid who may be interested in moving teams. That way the coach can watch some game footage, and maybe even go to a game. If that's what you're calling politics, then yes that's part of it. But I wouldn't call it unfortunate, just good sense.

Here's an example - say you have a U16 ECNL player and you are moving out-of-state. Would you really just have your player show up to a new ECNL club on tryout day, without having contacted the coach of the team? Of course not. You'd contact the coach well in advance, send game links, etc...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X