Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do the refs come from?

Seems like a lot of games didn’t have a ref this year, and there is a huge difference from one game to another in the ‘quality’ of ref.

Makes me wonder:

Where do the refs come from

Why is there such a difference from one ref to another

http://www.wareferees.org/ That’s where they come from get off your ass and go do the course and see if you could do a better job. They never last long enough to do good. Because of abuse from retards like you.

Comment

If they did a better job then I wouldn’t have to abuse them.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        They have to start somewhere. Do you expect them to be experts from their first game? My 13 year old got licensed this year and it's pretty daunting going out there, checking in with coaches and being responsible for the game, including rules and safety. And listening to sideline abuse, which is pretty darn crazy. A great experience though!

So yeah, of course there is going to be a lot of difference from one ref to another. They don't start at U17 ECNL games for example. U11/12 are probably the worst bc parents are at the height of craziness. U13, 14 and on it settles down once people realize they don't actually have a little Messi on their hands. Then they can relax and let the kiddo have fun.

Comment

I'll take "Things this poor person's father said to them" for $200, Alex.

Comment

I'll take "Things this poor person's father said to them" for $200, Alex.
            I”ll take “jokes that go over this poor persons head “ for $200 Alex.

Comment

My son was completely berated by a club director during a 2014 boys game over an out of bounds call. He says he doesn’t ever want to referee again.

Comment

They are brought to good little teams that do not end up on the naughty parent list!

Comment

My favorite part was when the coach was berating a replacement ref and threatened to complain to the "supervisor". In reality replacement ref was the chief referee for the district, who came out to replace a ref who got sick.

Comment

The main reasons there's no refs because the league has done nothing to address parent sideline behavior, but there are other issues.

First off you have to pay for the training, put the time in and buy all your own equipment so around a $300 investment just to do the job.

You're a 15yo kid it's your first day on the job, you have no supervisor or adult around to give you guidance. You are literally just told where to show up and go to work. The sidelines are crowded, there are around 40 adults there because you can only ref teams that are at least 2 years younger than you (also the age range known for the worst parents). Every call you make even when you know it's the right call the parents and coaches are hassling and yelling at you, because they think it's all part of the game. What a great first day.

As a ref It's very hard to get several games in a row at the same location. So you have to drive 30 min each way to work 1-1.5 hrs. If you do manage to get a few games in a row it's pretty likely that at least one of them may be cancelled as late as the night before.
                    You get paid I think $27 a game to work the sidelines and like $10 more to take the abuse as center circle ref. So divide that out including driving time and you are looking at $15 an hour to be out in the weather and have adults hurling abuse at you.

Any kid that is 16 can get a nice job indoors with a reliable schedule for $15-$18 an hour right now, why would they EVER choose to ref instead.

Both my kids ref, oldest quit as soon as they turned 16 and got a different job. I know at least 6 kids that went through ref training and quit after 1 season. Bad refs become good refs through experience, if no one stays long enough to get good you have no good refs.

If you routinely don't have refs for your games it's because the refs don't want to do your games due to coach or parent abuse. Nice coaches that don't let their parents get away with abusing the officials never have a problem getting refs.

Comment

That’s true. I routinely get a full crew for my U9 and U10 teams because refs know that I won’t criticize them and my parents won’t either. We have other coaches that struggle to get just a center for U15 because they are known *******s.

Comment

There is A shortage cause all
                        of the abuse they take

Comment

> Why is there such a difference from one ref to another

Who the **** cares? It's Washington youth soccer which means essentially nothing beyond being creating social bonds between kids. The only meaningful thing a ref can do is ensure a guy doesn't end up with a broken tib/fib or prevent a fistfight. Missed penalties, bad offside calls or handballs are inconsequentially trivial.

That said, reffing or working some place like arena sports are the only practical ways kids will make money from soccer.

Comment

This is the most ignorant thing I’ve ever heard. Your kid is not a pro, though likely is much better than you ever were, and the refs are not either. They are developing, just like the players, and need time to do so. Way more time than the 1 year or less that most average as a ref before they realize d bags like you make it not worth the money…

Comment

This is the most ignorant thing I’ve ever heard. Your kid is not a pro, though likely is much better than you ever were, and the refs are not either. They are developing, just like the players, and need time to do so. Way more time than the 1 year or less that most average as a ref before they realize d bags like you make it not worth the money…
                              I think it was sarcasm

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X