Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

Can you sign with Defiance and not get paid so you can keep college eligibility?
    Those are called academy contracts. There are a few players every year who make a bench or two and get some playing time. Once you go to college you have to stop playing with professionals.

Comment

Those are called academy contracts. There are a few players every year who make a bench or two and get some playing time. Once you go to college you have to stop playing with professionals.
      Did Hawkins sign an academy or pro contract?

Comment

No salary rules doesn not mean they are making less. They recently signed th 16 yo CB. More than likely the Sounders paid him about 20 or more. He was coming off of an MVP performance at a big youth tourney as a cb. Guarantee he's had contact with several agents. The Sounders know that if they don't pay him enough someone else will.
        No other MLS team in America can sign him. I couldn't disagree more.

Comment

No other MLS team in America can sign him. I couldn't disagree more.
          USL Championship clubs are signing more youngsters. Kobi Henry, Jonathan Gomez are a couple that have moved on to Europe after time in the Championship. Not sure if Louisville got anything for Gomez though. The 18yo kid from Crossfire who went to Barca Academy then signed with OC is playing with u19 usynt. He could be moving on. There are alternatives. Sounders don't want to lose him, that's bad optics and perhaps bad team building if he's the real deal.

You said earlier that families don't know what they are getting into with the Sounders Academy. I think many do. I'm beginning to think you don't know. You think you know because youve read some things and have some knowledge. A lot of knowledge for someone who looks down on it and those in it. It's almost as if there is a hint of jealousy veiled in your comments.

Comment

USL Championship clubs are signing more youngsters. Kobi Henry, Jonathan Gomez are a couple that have moved on to Europe after time in the Championship. Not sure if Louisville got anything for Gomez though. The 18yo kid from Crossfire who went to Barca Academy then signed with OC is playing with u19 usynt. He could be moving on. There are alternatives. Sounders don't want to lose him, that's bad optics and perhaps bad team building if he's the real deal.

You said earlier that families don't know what they are getting into with the Sounders Academy. I think many do. I'm beginning to think you don't know. You think you know because youve read some things and have some knowledge. A lot of knowledge for someone who looks down on it and those in it. It's almost as if there is a hint of jealousy veiled in your comments.
            That kid you refer to can sign with a USL team because he is not tied to an MSL club. The Sounder CB can not sign with anyone else in N America. Great example though of NOT being at the Sounders.

Comment

That kid you refer to can sign with a USL team because he is not tied to an MSL club. The Sounder CB can not sign with anyone else in N America. Great example though of NOT being at the Sounders.
              He can't sign for a MLS team. He can sign for any NA team not in MLS.

Comment

I think you are exaggerating a little. I will grant that their fullbacks are among the weaker selections but claiming that there are MUCH better is where I disagree. XF is a different path and does a great job of keeping players so no argument there. The atletico player is a great kid but my understanding is that he was not offered a spot-he is hoping to go to dallas tho

overall i think BL/BK got it mostly right and at least did not have any glaring omissions. especially if you take the view that SA only focus on the top few kids and the rest are training fodder-they got the top ones right.
                You mean the Atletico kid who started blowing off SDP training sessions after going on trial in Europe and seeing the huge difference in quality to MLS? Sure, yeah - technically I guess you can say he wasn’t offered a spot if that makes you feel better.

Comment

He can't sign for a MLS team. He can sign for any NA team not in MLS.
                  For a know it all you don’t seem to know much. He has the freedom to sign wherever he wants. Diego Luna signed with RSL this season out of the USL (also from Barca Academy).

Comment

For a know it all you don’t seem to know much. He has the freedom to sign wherever he wants. Diego Luna signed with RSL this season out of the USL (also from Barca Academy).
                    No team held Luna's homegrown rights. Therefore he was free to sign with any MLS team. The Sounders own the 06 CB from the SA homegrown rights. Another MLS team would have to buy his homegrown rights in order to sign him.

Comment

You mean the Atletico kid who started blowing off SDP training sessions after going on trial in Europe and seeing the huge difference in quality to MLS? Sure, yeah - technically I guess you can say he wasn’t offered a spot if that makes you feel better.
                      where is he now?

Comment

No team held Luna's homegrown rights. Therefore he was free to sign with any MLS team. The Sounders own the 06 CB from the SA homegrown rights. Another MLS team would have to buy his homegrown rights in order to sign him.
                        Exactly, again why to avoid being MLS club tied.

Comment

where is he now?
                          Developing. The WPL is just like playing in a top European Academy.

Comment

Better, some say.

Comment

Chapito (07, now at Dallas) or the 08 kid?

Comment

I bet you think SA is just like playing in a top European academy too.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X