Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

They have the best 08s. Who do you think they missed?
    Both of the starting fullbacks are a pretty good example. Much better players who were never even invited to the SDP pool from the same clubs where those two came from. Not to mention that 3 of the top 2008s in the region are still at XF. Or the Atletico striker that turned down a spot with Sounders. Lots of consolation spots went to U15 kids because of others turning them down.

Comment

Both of the starting fullbacks are a pretty good example. Much better players who were never even invited to the SDP pool from the same clubs where those two came from. Not to mention that 3 of the top 2008s in the region are still at XF. Or the Atletico striker that turned down a spot with Sounders. Lots of consolation spots went to U15 kids because of others turning them down.
      Sounders Academy isn’t for everyone. No shame on turning down a spot. XF kids have been turning them down for years.

Comment

Question. Does Sounders Academy make their offers based on current ability or where kids project? Since their goal is to create homegrown players, I could see them taking kids on potential rather than who the best players are at 14 years old.

Comment

Most of the kids on Sounders Academy will be forgotten in a couple years. Hurtado’s kid not ready to play 08, even with the sounders academy politics are involved. I rather stay at xf and deal with Bernie, safer pathway to college soccer
          My son played with Sounders Academy a few years ago. I can't find a game report of his u15 season but I found one from his u17 season. So I went through and looked at where those kids ended up. 29 kids were listed on the roster. 11 bypassed college and signed professional contracts. Not all with Seattle or Tacoma, but most. And they are all still playing professionally but not all with Tacoma or Seattle. I do know of many of them are in school in college of some sort as in addition to playing. 13 players went on to play college, most at D1 and 6 of those played at Ivy League or just about the equivalent thereof. 1 player went to college and then turned pro, a top tier academic school. 4 players did not play in college. At least two of them attended good schools.

Granted this data is a few years old. Many of them are "forgotten" but they are forgotten at some good schools. I wouldn't necessarily say that SAthatan unsafe pathway to college soccer.

Comment

Question. Does Sounders Academy make their offers based on current ability or where kids project? Since their goal is to create homegrown players, I could see them taking kids on potential rather than who the best players are at 14 years old.
            They pick a few kids for each age year they think have a chance to eventually make the first team. Everyone else is just cannon fodder to them in the sense that they are just there to help develop the few kids they have their eyes on. They drop them in a heartbeat if they do anything wrong or can be replaced with a better player. People don’t like hearing that, but it’s the ugly truth.

Comment

Sounders Academy isn’t for everyone. No shame on turning down a spot. XF kids have been turning them down for years.
              I’m not saying that there is, lots of kids on that 23-player roster will regress significantly this year due to lack of playing time while they would have done quite well back at their home clubs. My point was that the current U15 roster definitely isn’t the “best of the best” of local 2008 talent. It has been quite clear that wasn’t the goal of SA based on some of the best kids never even being invited to SDP. Politics as usual

Comment

At 09 all of the best talent locally was invited. They spread a huge net last year.

Comment

My son played with Sounders Academy a few years ago. I can't find a game report of his u15 season but I found one from his u17 season. So I went through and looked at where those kids ended up. 29 kids were listed on the roster. 11 bypassed college and signed professional contracts. Not all with Seattle or Tacoma, but most. And they are all still playing professionally but not all with Tacoma or Seattle. I do know of many of them are in school in college of some sort as in addition to playing. 13 players went on to play college, most at D1 and 6 of those played at Ivy League or just about the equivalent thereof. 1 player went to college and then turned pro, a top tier academic school. 4 players did not play in college. At least two of them attended good schools.

Granted this data is a few years old. Many of them are "forgotten" but they are forgotten at some good schools. I wouldn't necessarily say that SAthatan unsafe pathway to college soccer.
                  Love this story, but would love to see this listed. Many of those Pro's(not 11 of them) are just about done with Pro soccer at 20 years old. As far as I know, 1 is at Cornell, one at Penn *who didn't play on that team". I am assuming you are talking about the U-17 generation adidas team and not the old DA team with Morris, Yedlin etc.

Comment

Love this story, but would love to see this listed. Many of those Pro's(not 11 of them) are just about done with Pro soccer at 20 years old. As far as I know, 1 is at Cornell, one at Penn *who didn't play on that team". I am assuming you are talking about the U-17 generation adidas team and not the old DA team with Morris, Yedlin etc.
                    The GA team team season not the DA championship squad. This was a list of players that were on the academy roster on a game report from that season. Not all players played much that season or started in the GA Cup but from that squad (off the top of my head) the colleges were Yale, Virginia, Duke, Stanford, No Illinois, Seattle, San Diego State, community college, Portland, Georgetown, Bucknell (an Eastern school). I may be missing one. The pros are still playing and will be able to keep playing professionally somewhere next year. They may not reach MLS but they are giving it a shot. But most of them will be able to play for a few years until they decide they are done and want to move on. Off the top of my head 2 of them have moved on to USL Championship and one to USL 1 and are no longer part of the Sounders. Cracking in to the Sounders is no easy task considering they will pay money to get someone with experience if they need to. Maybe they get another chance with another organization in MLS maybe not.

Comment

Only 4 local 2006 players made it to the U17 roster this year. One 2006 has signed with Defiance. Based in this, it can be predicted that most local U15 players won’t make the U17 squad for its two years. And even the ones that do will be back on their club teams for their last year of high school. (Or two, for late birthdays.)

Comment

The GA team team season not the DA championship squad. This was a list of players that were on the academy roster on a game report from that season. Not all players played much that season or started in the GA Cup but from that squad (off the top of my head) the colleges were Yale, Virginia, Duke, Stanford, No Illinois, Seattle, San Diego State, community college, Portland, Georgetown, Bucknell (an Eastern school). I may be missing one. The pros are still playing and will be able to keep playing professionally somewhere next year. They may not reach MLS but they are giving it a shot. But most of them will be able to play for a few years until they decide they are done and want to move on. Off the top of my head 2 of them have moved on to USL Championship and one to USL 1 and are no longer part of the Sounders. Cracking in to the Sounders is no easy task considering they will pay money to get someone with experience if they need to. Maybe they get another chance with another organization in MLS maybe not.
                        You are counting every player in the program, including many that never played a second and were cut. Nobody at Yale, Portland or Georgetown. One pro is in Canada, two have been cut to USL 1, most will be cut before their 21st birthday without any education. Now they are signing 15 year old kids to replace the 19 year old players. MLS Next Pro has no salary floor, they can pay them literally anything. That team you are talking about was made up of players from all over the country brought in by MN. It is a VERY hard road. As far as I know almost everyone of age was cut on U-17 this year.

Comment

I was going to say, who would turn down a chance at the academy! But seeing all the following comments I can see why. The academy does not mean a high level of chance to play at a higher level.

Comment

I think all the points here are valid. I think it’s unrealistic for 100% of kids picked in any academy will go pro/make it for a whole host of reasons. Every level you move up in any sport not every participant makes it.

What Sounders offer is playing the best competition you can regularly you can in the US. You can still make it playing ECNL. I think kids and families should think about what their kids goal is and it could be sounders are the best path. Could be they aren’t. Watching my son in the program I will say it’s hard. But so far the right choice for him. It’s challenging and he’s improving and enjoying it. If he ends up back at his club for senior year and going to college that really doesn’t sound bad. It’s free to us which is a huge saving financially. He’s learning time management and what being a pro would be like, especially the mental toughness it takes.

there were some comments about missing some kids. One kid mentioned wasn’t offered and the XF kids have a club that gets them comparable competition (go to Europe, big events) so I think it’s normal for some to stay and some to go.

Comment

I think all the points here are valid. I think it’s unrealistic for 100% of kids picked in any academy will go pro/make it for a whole host of reasons. Every level you move up in any sport not every participant makes it.

What Sounders offer is playing the best competition you can regularly you can in the US. You can still make it playing ECNL. I think kids and families should think about what their kids goal is and it could be sounders are the best path. Could be they aren’t. Watching my son in the program I will say it’s hard. But so far the right choice for him. It’s challenging and he’s improving and enjoying it. If he ends up back at his club for senior year and going to college that really doesn’t sound bad. It’s free to us which is a huge saving financially. He’s learning time management and what being a pro would be like, especially the mental toughness it takes.

there were some comments about missing some kids. One kid mentioned wasn’t offered and the XF kids have a club that gets them comparable competition (go to Europe, big events) so I think it’s normal for some to stay and some to go.
                              Great response. Based on your perspective, would kids that are in the academy and not getting much playing time be better off playing at their old club? I’m sure the answer isn’t the same for every kid but in general? That’s the one “downside” I could see to going to Sounders.

Comment

You are counting every player in the program, including many that never played a second and were cut. Nobody at Yale, Portland or Georgetown. One pro is in Canada, two have been cut to USL 1, most will be cut before their 21st birthday without any education. Now they are signing 15 year old kids to replace the 19 year old players. MLS Next Pro has no salary floor, they can pay them literally anything. That team you are talking about was made up of players from all over the country brought in by MN. It is a VERY hard road. As far as I know almost everyone of age was cut on U-17 this year.
                                I was using the GA Cup group, 02 and 03, not the 01 and 02 DA Champions. I used the entire roster because I was trying address that, at least back then it was a good way to get to college even if you didn't play much. I took everyone on the matchday roster from ussoccerda as well as those who didn't suit up and pointed out that it wasn't a good way to play college soccer. There were a couple of 04s that were listed and 03s that didn't play u19 with the Sounders but still made it to D1 soccer.

A keeper is at Yale, a midfielder went Georgetown and was drafted and signed a MLS contract with another club, the Portland will be going next year.

The 02 group you are referring ton there back (gk to dm) six went to Harvard, Clemson, Cornell, Penn, North Carolina, and Seattle.

The Sounders do offer education with there Defiance contracts albeit at an online institution but it is something. The kids that turned pro at least get to chase their dream a bit more and will more than likely come out of 4 years without debt. They get housing and some meals provided. Not everyone needs a college degree to be a functioning member of society. Those kids could take some online college classes and join a trade when they retire and make money while apprenticing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X