Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A previous relationship with club member is prioritized.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post

I see so many criticisms of the sounders academy on here and i suspect most critics didn't have a kid in the program. I did (when it was still DA, so perhaps things are a little different now). Still, I would that it's still true that If it's right for your kid, it's a fantastic opportunity -- the best training in the area for FREE. we never had to pay for so much as a granola bar in four years. Yes, a player may be cut at some point, just like they can be cut from the top team at any other club but their old club will be glad to have them back. My son always wanted to use the program as a stepping stone to a good college vs an early contract, and it worked out for him. He still hopes to get drafted after graduation but knows soccer is a short career and wanted an education. For parents who want a lot of input/involvement in their kid's soccer life, Sounders will not be a fit; the kids really have to step up to take the lead. There are no team parties or parent dinners. No schmoozing the coach. My son sacrificed a lot of social time to participate but would do it all over again.
    Appreciate the insight

Comment

I see so many criticisms of the sounders academy on here and i suspect most critics didn't have a kid in the program. I did (when it was still DA, so perhaps things are a little different now). Still, I would that it's still true that If it's right for your kid, it's a fantastic opportunity -- the best training in the area for FREE. we never had to pay for so much as a granola bar in four years. Yes, a player may be cut at some point, just like they can be cut from the top team at any other club but their old club will be glad to have them back. My son always wanted to use the program as a stepping stone to a good college vs an early contract, and it worked out for him. He still hopes to get drafted after graduation but knows soccer is a short career and wanted an education. For parents who want a lot of input/involvement in their kid's soccer life, Sounders will not be a fit; the kids really have to step up to take the lead. There are no team parties or parent dinners. No schmoozing the coach. My son sacrificed a lot of social time to participate but would do it all over again.
      My son is currently in the program and this comment is spot on. It’s competitive, which it should be, and he loves it. It’s not easy and yes you give up a lot socially but he doesn’t regret it. If your son is talented and self directed it’s a great path and a good way to get college exposure not just pro. There could definitely be more paths - MLS can’t catch every player in a country this big - but recommend it for a kid who gets the opportunity. Poster is correct in that it’s totally free.

Comment

My son is currently in the program and this comment is spot on. It’s competitive, which it should be, and he loves it. It’s not easy and yes you give up a lot socially but he doesn’t regret it. If your son is talented and self directed it’s a great path and a good way to get college exposure not just pro. There could definitely be more paths - MLS can’t catch every player in a country this big - but recommend it for a kid who gets the opportunity. Poster is correct in that it’s totally free.
        My son was in the SA team but did not stay because U-17 training is at 1pm. That gives us no option without going to online schools. I guess Sounders wanted your son all in and does not care about your education. My comments do not apply to those who think online schools work.

Comment

It's not the same program as before, there is no U-19 any longer so you either sign as a pro or go back to an ECNL club for you last year or two depending on your class. I wish everyone the best with it, I just have seen so many kids dropped out of the program and it doesn't work out well for a great many of them. I know in the past many ended up at great schools and I hope it continues.

Comment

It's not the same program as before, there is no U-19 any longer so you either sign as a pro or go back to an ECNL club for you last year or two depending on your class. I wish everyone the best with it, I just have seen so many kids dropped out of the program and it doesn't work out well for a great many of them. I know in the past many ended up at great schools and I hope it continues.
            It doesn't work out well for whom?

They get to go play high school soccer and play with their mates at club ball? It's great!

Comment

My son was in the SA team but did not stay because U-17 training is at 1pm. That gives us no option without going to online schools. I guess Sounders wanted your son all in and does not care about your education. My comments do not apply to those who think online schools work.
              What is the logic for 1 PM trainings?

Comment

This is new from when my son participated! There were definitely kids in "pizza school" (online school done in the pizza parlor at Starfire) but it wasn't everyone.

Comment

It doesn't work out well for whom?

They get to go play high school soccer and play with their mates at club ball? It's great!
                  If you think those kids are thrilled to get cut and play high school soccer you are nuts.

Comment

If you think those kids are thrilled to get cut and play high school soccer you are nuts.
                    Nobody is thrilled. But the kids are no worse for the experience. They made a choice, everyone doesn't get to start, it's not equal playing time. It's hard,

But the world doesn't end once you've been cut. If it does, you have other issues outside of soccer.

Life lessons are the whole point of organized sports. Hopefully you can see that.

Comment

What is the logic for 1 PM trainings?
                      My guess is that online school and 1 pm training allows kids to be home by 5 to 7 pm allowing them sometime for family life, sleep, homework (but I suspect they might have some sort of study hall thing set up. Otherwise, a kid goes to hs til 2 ish gets home and leaves by 330 to 4 to be at practice by 5. Practice til 630 to 7, get home at 8 (if you live within a decent time frame) and be prepared to awake at 530 to 6 to get to school at 7 am. Fitting in homework and whatnot. It doesn't leave a lot of time for rest or school.

Comment

Did anyone else see the new mls home grown territory rules?

Comment

Did anyone else see the new mls home grown territory rules?
                          It's a good move. In the past, if a player was in the homegrown/catchment area, and the player was recruited by another club, the recruiting club had to get "permission" from the home club. Bizarre rule. You should either have the player in your system, or the player should be able to move. What really funny is the 'solidarity' payment. USSF/MLS has been against these - even though it's a FIFA requirement. Would love to see it come down to the youth/amateur clubs.

Comment

My guess is that online school and 1 pm training allows kids to be home by 5 to 7 pm allowing them sometime for family life, sleep, homework (but I suspect they might have some sort of study hall thing set up. Otherwise, a kid goes to hs til 2 ish gets home and leaves by 330 to 4 to be at practice by 5. Practice til 630 to 7, get home at 8 (if you live within a decent time frame) and be prepared to awake at 530 to 6 to get to school at 7 am. Fitting in homework and whatnot. It doesn't leave a lot of time for rest or school.
                            Having had a kid in the program I don't think anything is ever arranged to support family life, sleep or homework! Not that Sounders doesn't want kids to be happy and successful in all areas -- they do -- but their primary goal is for the program to be successful. If they're doing 1 pm trainings, there's some benefit to the organization.

Comment

I think AMERICAN soccer is mostly about who has the most alpha parents. If you have beta parents, good luck.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X