Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is possession style soccer really useful for kids to learn?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigger faster kids will always win at youth soccer. Some will develop the needed skill to play beyond college pro etc. the kids without elite athletic skill will find there soccer road ends in high school. There isn’t one player at Barca who isn’t an elite athlete. Pretending tic tax will fix that is just sales pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      Bigger faster kids will always win at youth soccer. Some will develop the needed skill to play beyond college pro etc. the kids without elite athletic skill will find there soccer road ends in high school. There isn’t one player at Barca who isn’t an elite athlete. Pretending tic tax will fix that is just sales pitch.
      You have to be fast to play at top level - size is not important. I feel like balance and lateral quickness and just plain aggressiveness/tenacity is way more important than size. But speed kills - full stop.

Comment

I feel like I have to stand up an defend the fast athletic players. It is not boot ball when a midfielder splits the defense with a nice through ball and a fast athletic forward can run behind the defense, get to the ball, and put it in the net.

Comment

I think a lot of teams miss that part of the possession game. There needs to be a ruthless attacking intent or it just become garbage soccer. Creating the spacing for thru ball is what it’s all about and yes you do need forwards who don’t get caught from behind or the whole point of the exercise is lost.

Comment

Bless you. You have restored my faith.

Comment

The most valuable players in the world are athletic freaks:

Erling Haaland
              Mbappe
              Vinicius Jr (speed)

The days of technical but unathletic players has passed.

Comment

The most valuable players in the world are athletic freaks:

Erling Haaland
                Mbappe
                Vinicius Jr (speed)

The days of technical but unathletic players has passed.
                It's pretty funny; how teams win boils down to a number of elements. Below U15; big and fast will normally overcome everything. U15/16 - technical ability - if executed quickly can compensate as size equals out. Above U17 you have to be fast, have size in the right positions (CB and GK), and be technical. The pro's - they have to have it all.

Comment

Antithesis of the club who just signed two of the fastest football players around - Auba and Traore?
                  I think you are confusing speed of intelligent skilled play with speed of driving the ball. Those are not unskilled players by any means.

Comment

I think you are confusing speed of intelligent skilled play with speed of driving the ball. Those are not unskilled players by any means.
                    Both were criticized as youth as relying too heavily on speed. They got to where they are today not because of lack of athleticism but technical strength.

Comment

Position style sales pitch is just making excuses for not winning games. Don’t be fooled!
                      Ive seen teams that play posession go against team that dont and the team that doesn't do pos. look like a bunch or rec noobs chasing a ball while the other team connects passes.

Comment

This fantasy of tiki taka on the world stage- where is it played? Do you believe that Liverpool or Real Madrid used tiki taka to get tot he final of champions league? Barca did away with it in 2013! The constant droning on about possession style play- yes the team who possesses the ball has an advantage, but nobody relies on tiki taka, and if you don't think teams covet speed, size and strength at the professional level you are an idiot.

Today you must have it all, athleticism, technical ability, and soccer iq.

Comment

Ive seen teams that play posession go against team that dont and the team that doesn't do pos. look like a bunch or rec noobs chasing a ball while the other team connects passes.
                          The objective of soccer is to score goals, not connect passes or play "beautifully" .

put the ball in the back of the net more times than your opponent

Comment

I will take a team of fast strong athletes over a team of highly technical skilled players any day. The goal is to put the ball in the net. Not to have all touch the ball.

Comment

The objective of soccer is to score goals, not connect passes or play "beautifully" .

put the ball in the back of the net more times than your opponent
                              I love this simple minded answer that always pops up. Of course the objective is to win the game. Let me say it again. Of course the objective is to win the game......The method in which you win will forever be a debate in both youth and the pros.

With possession, theoretically, you should have more chances to put the ball in the back of the net if the other team has less touches on the ball. Doesn't always work that way, especially at youth when kids are trying to developing mastery of the ball. Theoretically with direct soccer you are constantly pressing the goal , losing it , winning it back, pressing the goal. Ugly soccer but can be effective. Tiki Taka was a good experiment for a while but was also unbalanced. Hence the movement to a driving possession. or possession but with more intent. Makes for a funner game to watch than scramble forward 50/50 ball. In the pros you have to work with the players you can buy. In youth you can develop them in your "style" at a young age. My opinion is clubs are not focused very well on that. Clubs seem to simply be focused on putting the ball in the back of the net every Saturday. I am not saying that is right or wrong. Just pointing out what the emphasis seems to be.

Comment

I will take a team of fast strong athletes over a team of highly technical skilled players any day. The goal is to put the ball in the net. Not to have all touch the ball.
                                Path of least resistance and requires the least amount of effort by a youth coach.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X