Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Committed player

Can someone explain how a college coach builds a team? There are limited scholarships. However, there seems to be a lot of just ok players committing to schools.

[QUOTE=Guest;n4261165]Can someone explain how a college coach builds a team? There are limited scholarships. However, there seems to be a lot of just ok players committing to schools.

I think a lot of players look "okay" with the club team because of coach biases, the dynamic of that particular team, the extreme talent that might be on that team etc...A college coach only cares about what a player can do for THEIR team. What needs need to be filled on the college roster? All my kids play college sports, get playing time & none were superstars in club. College coaches need players who bring skills missing on their squad, who can meet admission requirements, have good character and parents who aren't going to be a problem. Scholarships are limited, so a good all-around player who can qualify for academic money vs athletic, or who can afford the school without aid, allow coaches to allocate athletic $ to kids who can't attend without it. Kids need to market themselves to schools they're interested in also. Coaches approached my kids but the schools weren't a fit. Schools they ended up at were schools the kids took the initiative to contact because they were really interested. Coaches have limited time and will quickly hone in on someone with genuine interest in their program vs an interest in getting the biggest scholarship/opportunity from where ever

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      Can someone explain how a college coach builds a team? There are limited scholarships. However, there seems to be a lot of just ok players committing to schools.
      Do yourself a favor and research college rosters. On average, only 1/3-1/2 of a college team’s roster ever play in the game ALL SEASON. Colleges coaches bloat rosters to bring in $$$$ for the school. The pay to play scam happens in college too.

Comment

I am so glad someone final speaks the truth.
        Just follow the playing time of the commits.
        There is a if you can pay, you can get a roster spot and help during practice.
        Playing times does no lie.

Comment

I am so glad someone final speaks the truth.
          Just follow the playing time of the commits.
          There is a if you can pay, you can get a roster spot and help during practice.
          Playing times does no lie.
          People also get injured, a lot, in college, so not always the whole story although often is.

Comment

Honestly, D3 is the way to go if you can afford it. The level of play is competitive (enough) to be enjoyable and challenging. Team culture is also more like a family and isn't as intense. And most D3 coaches do try to get most their roster in the games. You can do study abroad, work, join the Greek system, do a spring internship, and have a more complete college experience. I loved my D3 college experience playing men's soccer. You won't be able to say you are a "D1" player but you'll will be able to say you played in the game. My daughter's bff is on a D1 team and is looking to transfer because being on the practice squad is no fun and the culture is toxic. My ECNL daughter is a 2022 and is waiting to hear back from admissions and will be going the D3 route. No FOMO in her decision especially hearing the stories from bff.

Comment

D3 is the way to go if you aren't a D1 player. It's a difficult road on the men's side for sure, but to say it's the way you should go is a bit much. There are plenty of local kids playing D1 soccer and having success.

Comment

D3 is the way to go if you aren't a D1 player. It's a difficult road on the men's side for sure, but to say it's the way you should go is a bit much. There are plenty of local kids playing D1 soccer and having success.
                Agree that every kid is different but the reality is that even most of the players recruited to D1 do not end up playing or play very little. Not all but many of those kids would have been happier playing at a d3 school. The biggest problem I see is kids often commit to any D1 they can go get the biggest kudos in high school when they commit. If our emphasis was on best fit & best school vs simply “going D1”, many kids would make different choices and be happier in the long run.

Comment

I am not sure if this is still allowed or not, so don’t hang me for being out of date.
                  But I have seen way to many kids commit in the 9th and 10th grade. Then when they are seniors, they are still just ok players. Thus, when they get to the college, you are a practice player on the roster.

u of w seem to be big on this. Just look at the playing times of the local girls and see when the commuted. But hey, they are on a D1 roster.

Comment

I am not sure if this is still allowed or not, so don’t hang me for being out of date.
                    But I have seen way to many kids commit in the 9th and 10th grade. Then when they are seniors, they are still just ok players. Thus, when they get to the college, you are a practice player on the roster.

u of w seem to be big on this. Just look at the playing times of the local girls and see when the commuted. But hey, they are on a D1 roster.

Not hanging, but coaches cant talk to players until the June (?) of their junior year now. so you dont/havent seen 9/10 grade commits recently.

Comment

You are sadly mistaken. Girls for the 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes committed the 9th and 10th grade year.

sorry, but many of them are just ok players. Playing time does not lie.

Comment

Well, they have changed that rule on the girls side (I have a son). The early club success does not mean college success. That really has nothing to do with D3 or D1. I am glad D3 was for you, it's not for everyone.

Comment

I believe UW was always able to get a number of girls to commit early as walk-ons/minimal scholarship $ (this was the case for the hs class of 2018). It may have changed though.

Comment

You are sadly mistaken. Girls for the 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes committed the 9th and 10th grade year.

sorry, but many of them are just ok players. Playing time does not lie.
                            How do coaches contact women’s soccer players before the NCAA recruiting rules allow it?

One of the most important dates for an athlete to remember is June 15 after their sophomore year. Before this date, any off-campus communication between a coach and a recruit is prohibited according to NCAA rules.

During this time, club or high school coaches will play a key role in how a college coach can contact an athlete. College coaches may initiate contact with young athletes by working through their club or high school coach.

While club or high school coaches can relay information between the athlete and college coach, these conversations cannot be related to recruiting. College coaches can only express interest in an athlete.

College coaches also use camps and clinics as an opportunity to evaluate prospective recruits. However, college coaches and athletes may only communicate at camps as long as it’s after June 15 after the athlete’s sophomore year.

Comment

Nice, but you might want to check the date this went into effect. Before this went into effect, many players and coaches rushed to get 9th and 10th grader committed.
                              But as we all know, a verbal commit is not binding.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X