Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Recruitment help

Saw this question on another thread and thought it was relevant as it's own topic....What does each club do to help kids with recruitment aside from an informational college night?

PAC and XF both have tournaments or camps featuring invited college coaches. SU has a guy who is a college coordinator who is friendly but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I don't know what Eastside does but one of their coaches stopped my daughter (who played for another club) after a game to ask if she had a college spot because he knew of coaches who were looking (she was already committed). I think most of the clubs buy into recruitment platforms like College fit Finder or Scouting Zone, which doesn't do much, really. I think coaches only look at them before a tournament or something, if at all.

I keep writing this on this board, but I will say it again: don't rely on ANY club to make recruiting happen. Individual club coaches may have connections, and playing on a strong team gets more coaches to come out to watch in general, but the player with help from the parent really needs to make it happen. It's like a job seach, and a chance to teach your kid job search skills. If interested in D3, start emailing coaches in 9th grade -- there are no contact rules at that level. Player should write an intro email and include video. Follow up with game schedules for tournaments, news, and include personal/academic info that makes the player memorable. Add in photos. They get a bajillion emails that are all the same. write back right away to any coach who responds. Kids can start emailing D2 & D1 then also, which gets them on the mailing list for camps etc. Keep in touch with every school of interest until coach tells you to stop! Send new game video as often as possible. Send holiday cards. If your kid is top 1 percent of players, the coaches may come to you, but otherwise, the player needs to let the coach know they are interested in that school. Start with a list of 20-30 schools to target. There are books and websites out there that lay out the strategy far better than any of the local clubs.

Comment

Get good video of you kid. Not of the team, but of your kid. Meaning, you need to pick 3 games and have a professional service tape it and have a professional make the high light video.

It cost me 150 for each game and 350 for the highlight. It was money well spent.

also, know what makes you kid special and highlight that.

Send the video to the coaches and keep
      them posted on how your kid is doing.

then go to their camp or a camp
      to where the coaches wiil be.

I wrote the coaches and introduced them to my kid.

keep the coaches updated is a big key.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        PAC and XF both have tournaments or camps featuring invited college coaches. SU has a guy who is a college coordinator who is friendly but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I don't know what Eastside does but one of their coaches stopped my daughter (who played for another club) after a game to ask if she had a college spot because he knew of coaches who were looking (she was already committed). I think most of the clubs buy into recruitment platforms like College fit Finder or Scouting Zone, which doesn't do much, really. I think coaches only look at them before a tournament or something, if at all.

I keep writing this on this board, but I will say it again: don't rely on ANY club to make recruiting happen. Individual club coaches may have connections, and playing on a strong team gets more coaches to come out to watch in general, but the player with help from the parent really needs to make it happen. It's like a job seach, and a chance to teach your kid job search skills. If interested in D3, start emailing coaches in 9th grade -- there are no contact rules at that level. Player should write an intro email and include video. Follow up with game schedules for tournaments, news, and include personal/academic info that makes the player memorable. Add in photos. They get a bajillion emails that are all the same. write back right away to any coach who responds. Kids can start emailing D2 & D1 then also, which gets them on the mailing list for camps etc. Keep in touch with every school of interest until coach tells you to stop! Send new game video as often as possible. Send holiday cards. If your kid is top 1 percent of players, the coaches may come to you, but otherwise, the player needs to let the coach know they are interested in that school. Start with a list of 20-30 schools to target. There are books and websites out there that lay out the strategy far better than any of the local clubs.
        This is a good recent article on what clubs/coaches should do to support players on the college front. Some clubs and coaches around here are better than on this (and within clubs the experience seems to vary significantly), but I’m not sure any club comes close to the systematic kind of approach a lot of top clubs around the country take starting early in hs.

https://www.technefutbol.com/blog/20...-coaches-guide

Comment

PAC and XF both have tournaments or camps featuring invited college coaches. SU has a guy who is a college coordinator who is friendly but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
          Don’t know what his qualifications are but haven’t been impressed. Not sure exactly what, if anything, he does. Perhaps one factor why other clubs have done better than SU in recruiting. Just a guess.

Comment

Don’t know what his qualifications are but haven’t been impressed. Not sure exactly what, if anything, he does. Perhaps one factor why other clubs have done better than SU in recruiting. Just a guess.
            He's the designated first contact for college coaches. He stands on the sidelines at tournaments and hands out team flyers. He provided me with wrong info about the recruiting process, so not too effective

Comment

He's the designated first contact for college coaches. He stands on the sidelines at tournaments and hands out team flyers. He provided me with wrong info about the recruiting process, so not too effective
              at a couple of showcases I’ve attended, parents were handing out flyers. He would be socializing or off somewhere. I think he runs his own recruiting business.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X