Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surf Academy vs EPD

Looking for input on people who have done either Surf or EPD, perhaps someone has done both. On the surface it appears to be the same basic concept, pool together the best players that want extra training outside of their club training. I see some benefits...but the amount of training and games is so small with both programs I don't know if it is even worth it.

Both are a money grab, and a waste of time. Lots of politics involved, too.

Better to spend your time on your own development-- Coerver, Toca, privates, whatever.

Comment

EPD is great it lets everyone know you beat out alot of other kids after multiple grueling tryouts seen by fresh unbiased eyes..less politics imo

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        EPD is great it lets everyone know you beat out alot of other kids after multiple grueling tryouts seen by fresh unbiased eyes..less politics imo
        LESS politics? You have GOT To be kidding... Its worse than internal club politics.

Comment

LESS politics? You have GOT To be kidding... Its worse than internal club politics.
          maybe the guy was being sarcastic? Hard to tell actually, try to be more serious folks, this is a written forum.

From what I understand both EPD and Surf are fairly new, but EPD has been around long enough to have an alumni (although I cannot recall any names off the top of my head). Both are an initial cost above club costs, can get pricey for some.

When will America allow the best players to play free so that America develops players?

Comment

Both are a cash grab. Your kid would be way better off staying at home and doing free videos on YouTube.

Comment

Surf Academy is a joke and totally not worth it. Very disorganized, especially the travel, would not recommend. I’ve heard good things about EPD, especially good for talented kids who don’t want to move to a big club because of geography or whatever.

Comment

I’d agree that they are super political. Limited practices (monthly) and even more limited games. Decent viability for the top players of the state but more often than not the players they select come from the coaches own clubs (EPD coaches are club coaches as their full time gigs). Surf is less selective with more practices but talent isn’t there yet.

Comment

Boys U15 experience. Son has played both and traveled with both.

EPD: Unstructured practice 2 hrs per month. Coaches rotate through from different clubs. Some are higher quality than others. Good raw talent. Two tourneys - West Regionals - 1 team. Portland Friendship cup - 2 teams. Some tendency for coaches to pull from their clubs. Tryouts this year had over 100 and kids show up at callbacks after not being at tryouts.

Surf: Structured practice. Two sessions in a day once a month. Coaches stay with team for a couple years. Good raw talent. 2 tourneys. Always 2 teams.

Surf is more organized and communicates better. Having traveled with both - EPD relied on parent volunteers for chaperones whereas Surf relied on coaches.

Surf is US Club and had pathways to College, id2, ODP, and National pool.

EPD is USYS and has pathways to ODP and national pool.

As a parent I prefer Surf. As a player my son likes to play soccer and he enjoyed EPD with one of the coaches.

Comment

We're a PSPL Surf family. No experience with EPD beyond some of our teammates who are EPD players.

Our experience with Surf: Quality coaches. Well run events and practices. Highly organized travel experiences to quality tournaments in Colorado, Oregon and California. Teammates from all over the region. No/low politics. The major difference I see is Surf will travel with two teams if they have numbers. This cuts down on the politics significantly because there's little distinction beyond what division you play in at the tournament. Girls love seeing and playing with each other and are very positive. My daughter considers most of the other players her friends regardless of what team they are on in a given year.

Our teammates EPD experience as conveyed to us: Major soccer POLITICS! Girls are very stand-off and parents make a great show of being friends with the coach. Lots of back-biting and talking behind teammates backs. High quality play and tournaments. Regimented workouts and firm coaching from people with excellent soccer resumes.

The girls have FUN at Surf. They look forward to seeing their friends and playing at a higher level than their club. Less expensive than EPD by a little bit. 10/10 would recommend.

Comment

Last 2 posts are excellent. Thank you for sharing your opinions and helping the community!

Comment

Doesn't matter, ulittle parents. Get the extra touches in and have fun. Your player needs to show at the ID camps and showcases.
                        EPD, Surf Academy. DOES NOT MATTER. Still gotta show and have the grades and test scores unless your smart one is going to WSU or some other low barrier school. P5 D1 yeah, but still going to work as a soccer coach or barista after 6 years getting that psych degree. In the pipe, folks. Good luck.

Comment

Doesn't matter, ulittle parents. Get the extra touches in and have fun. Your player needs to show at the ID camps and showcases.
                          EPD, Surf Academy. DOES NOT MATTER. Still gotta show and have the grades and test scores unless your smart one is going to WSU or some other low barrier school. P5 D1 yeah, but still going to work as a soccer coach or barista after 6 years getting that psych degree. In the pipe, folks. Good luck.

Why. Must. You. Post.

Comment

You must be a Husky. Your post reeks of ignorance and arrogance all at once... which I think is a freshman core required skill.

"Low Barrier school" What a nitwit.

Comment

They just announced EPD tryouts in Spokane next week but still have been essentially silent on refunds for the 3 training sessions players received last year. They also haven’t announced a single coach for Eastern Washington. That’s the perfect illustration of what to expect with EPD.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X