Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls Teams

I have 2 girls (07 & 10) and we're moving up to the area. I'm trying to get as much info as possible on teams for them to try out for when we relocate. It's really difficult given COVID so I can't really get a good idea of which are the better teams based on tournaments canceling, etc. Anyone have any advice of where they would have their daughters play for if given the chance?

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    I have 2 girls (07 & 10) and we're moving up to the area. I'm trying to get as much info as possible on teams for them to try out for when we relocate. It's really difficult given COVID so I can't really get a good idea of which are the better teams based on tournaments canceling, etc. Anyone have any advice of where they would have their daughters play for if given the chance?
    This chat board isn’t really the best. Look at the clubs closest to where you are going to live. Driving 40 mins in rush hour traffic 3-5 times a week isn’t good for anyone.

Comment

If they're serious players you'd want them to be a part of an ECNL team, so that means Crossfire United, Thorns Academy, or FC Portland. Of those 3, FC Portland is having some struggles of late but the other two are in good shape.

Comment

If they're serious players you'd want them to be a part of an ECNL team, so that means Crossfire United, Thorns Academy, or FC Portland. Of those 3, FC Portland is having some struggles of late but the other two are in good shape.
        Dumbest post out there. Nothing true about this. You need to come to the past 5 years. Thorns are terrible the older you get and can’t keep teams together. Fc Portland can’t even compete locally and CU is the only team that is generally competitive.

go find the best coach and team. If you think ECNL means something in Oregon you’ve been lied to. Just ask someone.

Comment

The quality of teams varies wildly club to club, age group to age group. It just so happens that the Thorns are probably the strongest for these 2 age groups, but that is definitely not the case across all age groups. If you don't need to be at THE MOST competitive club, go where the practices are most convenient and where your girls will have some friends from their new school. Look at the state cup results to see who was competitive in each age group. Once you know what part of town you will live in, that should be the primary factor in determining your club.

Comment

Confused by above comment. Take a look at the ECNL standings. Thorns are not the strongest for the 07. FC portland was the only local 07 team to go to ECNL national playoffs. They were second in the division to Crossfire Premier WA.

Comment

1. Find a club near you and start there. Try here https://oregonyouthsoccer.org/find-a-club/. Keep in mind these only list clubs that participate in OYSA (Oregon Youth Soccer Association). Smaller clubs like Soccer Chance Academy and independent teams won't be listed. To find these clubs/teams, just google Oregon soccer tournaments (Mt. Hood Challenge, Nike Lake Oswego Cup, Beaverton Cup or go directly to the OYSA webpage game schedule), find your kid's age group, and click on the team name which will often have the email contact for the coach and team manager.
              2. I would caution you NOT to take too seriously what anyone says here about which team is best. Kids here club hop quite a bit and the coach changes. Don't focus on the team, instead focus on what your player needs and go from there. Are you looking for a team who wants to win at all cost (unequal playing time, stuck in 1 position, coach focusing only on the better kids, etc)? Do you prefer a coach who will actually develop your player, which will mean losing games sometimes? I kid you not, I was watching a coach teach his team how to juggle and he didn't even use a ball because the coach couldn't juggle! He was using an imaginary ball.
              3. If all else fails, go to YouTube and watch some games from the teams you find. Everything is on YouTube.

Comment

Every year some troll sucks a bunch of you clowns into answering this same question. Never gets old...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X