Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raleigh Area Boys Teams

We are relocating to the Raleigh area. My son currently plays ECNL in Florida and would like to continue in the league, or possibly with MLS Next. Can I get some feedback? North Carolina FC ECNL vs Wake FC MLS Next.
    Or other recommendations?

What feedback do you want? If location is important for NCFC ECNL you're likely looking at Wake Competition Center by the airport and/or WRAL Soccer Park in North Raleigh. Wake FC MLSN is generally going to be Ting Park in Holly Springs. Both use Wake Med in Cary on occasion. Another MLSN club in the area is Triangle United in Chapel Hill.

Comment

Thanks - location is helpful. Especially since we are looking at housing in Cary so good to understand commute time.
      Perhaps it would be useful to hear from a parent of a player at NCFC ECNL or Wake MLSN about why they chose that particular club.
      EG: development, coaching, well-organized, leadership. Or maybe it just comes down to training location as they appear pretty far apart.

Comment

Location is one of the variables based in fact, just like size or age of the club. You're asking for opinions, and you know the saying about everyone having one. On an anonymous and non-moderated message board that could get interesting or even counter productive. See the posts in the PA forum for example. Maybe reach out to the directors to ask questions?

Comment

All the clubs will have their ardent supporters and detractors. Too much variability in age groups, specific coaches, etc to make a fair generalization of one over the other. My advice would be to tryout for any you are remotely interested in and see what spots you get offered, which coaches, directors, facilities you like best.
          Convenience of practice location was huge for our family as well.

A couple other tidbits to consider:

-NCFC is generally more expensive, ~$400-700 more per year in base fees for comparable programs at the time we decided. I remember numbers used to be more publicized on the webpages.

-I don't think MLS Next allows your son to play high school soccer.

-Two other smaller clubs are Carolina Velocity (if you're a fan of an English system) or Trinity (if you would like a faith-based component).

Comment

You probably already know this, but if your son was playing for one of the better teams in Florida, he should prepare himself for the fact that the quality of the teams here will be much lower.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X