Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Ponte Vedra Beach from California- need club recommendations for 9 year son

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Ponte Vedra Beach from California- need club recommendations for 9 year son

Hello, We are moving to Ponte Vedra Beach from California in 2 months (December 2021). My 9 year old son plays on the first team of one of club. Need some guidance as to which clubs are great for player development around Ponte Vedra Beach (willing to drive to Jacksonville if he can get better training there). My research has led me to Florida Elite, Jacksonville FC, and Ponte Vedra Soccer Club (which appears to be connected to Jacksonville FC). Would like to reach out to a few of the clubs before we get there. I am not too familiar with the area so any comments on good clubs will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Big Bertha and a good 9 iron

Comment

I'm totally neutral on this as I do not live near jacksonville, but over the years my kids have played against all those clubs. As always, it is a bit team by team and age by age, but all things being equal I prefer the style of play at Jacksonville over the others, even if FESA seems to recruit better "athletes" as the teams get older.

I think the best advice since your son is 9 is to have him actually attend a few practice sessions for each of the teams he might play for to see the player pool and actual coaches. As he gets older, it may be one club is a better fit for him than another, but at that age, I'd want a coach that really focuses on technical training. You can't replace those years of learning ball control and first touch.

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      Hello, We are moving to Ponte Vedra Beach from California in 2 months (December 2021). My 9 year old son plays on the first team of one of club. Need some guidance as to which clubs are great for player development around Ponte Vedra Beach (willing to drive to Jacksonville if he can get better training there). My research has led me to Florida Elite, Jacksonville FC, and Ponte Vedra Soccer Club (which appears to be connected to Jacksonville FC). Would like to reach out to a few of the clubs before we get there. I am not too familiar with the area so any comments on good clubs will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comment

Thanks,
        Orlando City or FKK, worth the drive and commitment.

Comment

Based on where you will be living and his age, JFC makes the most sense. They train at both Patton Park and Davis Park and have good training / coaches for boys in that age level.

Comment

From what I know JFC is huge, so there's likely a place for him somewhere in there (to both play and move up).

Comment

Have your son go to practices for both JFC and Florida Elite. This way he can get a feel how things are run for both clubs.

Comment

Have your son go to practices for both JFC and Florida Elite. This way he can get a feel how things are run for both clubs.
                Both JFC and FESA are larger clubs but really weak leadership and lame coaching. They are chasing quantity (money) over quality. You really don't have much other choice as those clubs monopolize the access to soccer parks/fields. If you want your kid to be on top level teams, you better get your wallet, knee pads, and lube handy.

Comment

Thanks,
                  Welcome to the great state free of Florida - no mandates no vaccine passports allowed ! Remember that when voting

go to all 3 clubs you mentioned , at 9 years old it depends what your boy wants from this sport - if he wants to be elite by 15 he needs to train play after hours - no club can create a star

if he wants to enjoy it as a hobby - pick the one with the shortest commute

Comment

Stay in CA. The soccer is better there

Comment

You should look up Patrick Sorge as a coach. He grooms his players for success and is very hands on. He is one of the best at JFC.

Comment

Thanks,
                        Well don't come to FL to destroy the state like they have in California. We have a great govoner here who will destroy your Ar#e if you try any woke sh#t here.

Comment

Thanks,
                          My kids played at Creeks (now FESA), Ponte Vedra (which is now part of Jacksonville FC for competitive club), Jacksonville FC and FESA. Our experiences were basically from age 3 to 18.

If your kid is rec stay with Ponte Vedra. If your kid wants to play competitive go to Jacksonville FC.

Both JFC and FESA have coaches that are on a constant rotation of in and out of the club. However, FESA is... abusive. FESA will sell you the golden ticket and for you to find out that they painted and renamed trash. Avoid FESA at all costs.

And also, don't California my Florida! :-)

Comment

Lacrosse???

Comment

At 9 years old play as locally as possible, play at a club where friends from his school would likely play. If he is any good when he is 13 to 14 then start making the trek to Jacksonsville. My best advice is play local til highschool but play 3 different sports and when in High school dump club sports altogether. Club soccer is a business they don't care about the vast majority of their players development it is money driven. If I could visit the younger version of myself I would say avoid club. Otherwise you're almost stuck with friends only on the soccer team, your family time is spent travelling across the state and country watching soccer, staying in hotels etc. I think of how much potential social situations my kids missed because they couldn't attend something because they had soccer. When I think of the money I spent over the years (about 12k per year) What I could have done with that money.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X