Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is college the way!

We have a tradition of using our sport in hopes of playing or getting a college scholarship. If your child has an ambition to play at the highest level why does the soccer system doesn’t promote professional scouts. Even the Women’s professional leagues are growing globally and offer a viable alternative to college. College soccer does not prepare a player for the pros and the coaching is substandard for the most part. College has its place and the education aspect is priceless. For the elite players, pro should be a serious consideration. You can negotiate anything in a contract. I’m sure you can negotiate an educational opportunity if it means that much too you.

You are in the wrong Country.

Comment

For 99.7% of US players college is the ultimate goal and end game.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        We have a tradition of using our sport in hopes of playing or getting a college scholarship. If your child has an ambition to play at the highest level why does the soccer system doesn’t promote professional scouts. Even the Women’s professional leagues are growing globally and offer a viable alternative to college. College soccer does not prepare a player for the pros and the coaching is substandard for the most part. College has its place and the education aspect is priceless. For the elite players, pro should be a serious consideration. You can negotiate anything in a contract. I’m sure you can negotiate an educational opportunity if it means that much too you.

You do realize your advice, despite being correct, applies to no one who reads Talking Soccer right? The furthest the readers' kids will go is college, and even that happens far less than most care to admit. Players with the talent and drive to go pro are a different breed.

Comment

You do realize your advice, despite being correct, applies to no one who reads Talking Soccer right? The furthest the readers' kids will go is college, and even that happens far less than most care to admit. Players with the talent and drive to go pro are a different breed.
          I don't even think the advice is correct, let alone relevant to TS readers. But we are all just talking fantasy here anyway, so although it's only relevant to 3 people in the country (and nobody in FL), that won't stop anyone here.

Comment

I don't even think the advice is correct, let alone relevant to TS readers. But we are all just talking fantasy here anyway, so although it's only relevant to 3 people in the country (and nobody in FL), that won't stop anyone here.
            True that. Most parents aren't even realistic about their kids chances of playing in college - or even making the varsity team in high school.

Comment

As far as being the best possible soccer player one can be….college is certainly NOT the way.

Not enough training. Not enough games, however the schedule is too compacted for proper recovery. Too short of a season. Not high enough level of competition.

Top Top male players already skip college for pro path.

The college path is one of the reasons that the World is catching and will pass the US women. However, there is not enough money in the pro game on the women’s side to put all your eggs in that bracket at 18 years old.

Comment

As far as being the best possible soccer player one can be….college is certainly NOT the way.

Not enough training. Not enough games, however the schedule is too compacted for proper recovery. Too short of a season. Not high enough level of competition.

Top Top male players already skip college for pro path.

The college path is one of the reasons that the World is catching and will pass the US women. However, there is not enough money in the pro game on the women’s side to put all your eggs in that bracket at 18 years old.
                and there's many more opportunities and money available for women. 100 more D1 teams, 14 scholarships per team vs 9.9 for men, and few international players taking many of those scholarships. It's still not critical for women to go straight to pro like it is for men but it is changing. However if you can get more $ for college, pro salaries aren't good and probably not as many women wanting to go pro then college will remain a big part of the women's game

Comment

and there's many more opportunities and money available for women. 100 more D1 teams, 14 scholarships per team vs 9.9 for men, and few international players taking many of those scholarships. It's still not critical for women to go straight to pro like it is for men but it is changing. However if you can get more $ for college, pro salaries aren't good and probably not as many women wanting to go pro then college will remain a big part of the women's game
                  Of course what you say is all correct about the women’s game. Point still stands that college soccer hurts players elite level soccer development and by extension the USWNT player pool,

Comment

So lets say that college is something your kid wants to do. And lets say your kids wants to be a pro soccer player. I'd say if at 18 your kid is good enough to get a contract with a pro team (I don't care what division or what country) that pays decent then you take 2 years to go after the dream. Inevitably when that doesn't work out go to college and enjoy your life.

If your kid isn't good enough to get a good paying contract at any level then I'd say go to college right away with or without the college scholarship.

The only caveat might be that if your kid decides on the pro route make sure they land somewhere that if they turn out to be the best player they will get noticed.

If your kid's ultimate goal is to play for say an MLS team or other division I professional team remember that almost nobody gets that offer out of high school. And only four or five will get that offer out of college. And only four or five every year will get that offer out of USL's highest league.

To get that pro offer your kids must have elite endurace, elite speed, elite acceleration, elite touch, elite passing skills, elite shooting, elite reaction time, and perhaps most importantly elite decision making speed and ability. Most kids that think they have a shot have like ONE of these things. The pro has like every single thing on the list except for maybe one thing.

If you watch most youth games even at the highest league level about every third touch of the ball sucks. In addition to all this your player has to be able to do this inside of the US system that is decades behind other countries in terms of good available coaches.

My best advice is to find the best coaches you can for your kid. We've only had a few so far. They are really hard to find.

Comment

Of course what you say is all correct about the women’s game. Point still stands that college soccer hurts players elite level soccer development and by extension the USWNT player pool,
                      It still isn't really a negative for women, yet. For men it mostly is - some have success playing for a year or two then getting picked up. But in general if you can go pro and that is your goal get there are fast as you can. This applies to a US pro path. If you want to play internationally then slogging away in college for any amount of time is a waste of time. But we have very few players for whom that applies

Comment

College is a great way and a significant route in the USA
                        Look at the clubs and colleges that are part of the Sub 20 CONCACAF
                        Los jugadores son: (porteros) Sebastián Cutler (Charlotte Independence / USL Championship), Ahiezer Reyes (Xuventude Oroso/ España); (Defensas) Giancarlo Pardo (Houston Dynamo Youth Soccer Club), Parker O’Ferral (North Carolina FC Academy), Colby Quiñones (New England Revolution/ USL League One),Diego Rossi (New York City FC MLS Academy),Cristian Jacob Maruccio (Houston Dynamo Youth Soccer Club); (Mediocampistas) Danny Cortés (Club América U18 / México), Thomas Rodríguez (Players Development Academy), Andre Cutler (Marist University / NCAA D1), Ian Silva (Orlando City MLS Academy), Hansy Velázquez (Radford University / NCAA D1) Fabián Menéndez (Carolina Elite Soccer Academy), Alejandro Rodríguez (IMG Academy); (Delanteros) Jeremy de León (International Development Academy / España), Leandro Antonetti (CD Lugo / España), Edwin Meléndez (Montclair State University / NCAA D3), Sahyd Nevado (Orlando City MLS Academy), Wilfredo Rivera (Orlando City / MLS), Jan Mateo (Oriente Petrolero / Bolivia), Brian Flores (New York City FC MLS Academy), Jensen Liquet (Nomads Soccer Club & Academy), Ian Rodríguez (Georgia Southwestern / NCAA D2), Lorenzo Báez (SYS Springfield / MLS NEXT), Daniel Cruz, Jr. (Total Football Academy).

Comment

Yes some men find a pathway from college into the pros - lower level pros/MLS mostly. They will play 1-2 years in college then jump if they get an opportunity. The nation's true top talent goes abroad.

Comment

If your kid is a academic scholar yes by all means college is the way especially if he is a great soccer athlete . Only a very uneducated person would give up a great education thinking they will be pro. I see a lot of parents pushing this dream . It baffles me !!

Comment

A dream of being pro is what it is . I am a realist so let me explain what a dream is . That’s a fictional utopia while your sleeping only to wake up to reality . Please don’t forsake your child’s education thinking you got the next neymar . I have been watching youth soccer for 10 years now and I have seen some very great players ,but as far as world class or pro no I just don’t see it . Enjoy the game play at the best ability and get a good education . That is something nobody can take away .

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X