•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How popsicles create soccer players
    February 24, 2010 · Leave a Comment

Is this the key to building successful young players?
    I was talking with another parent a few months back and he said something that has got me thinking. He said, “If you want your small child to become a good soccer player, here’s what you do. You get a couple small collapsible goals, a soccer ball, a cooler, and a box of popsicles and you take your kid to the park where other kids are. Get the kids started playing and every 30 minutes or so, stop and give everyone a popsicle. Do that once a week from the time they’re young and your kid will love soccer for their entire life.” I didn’t dwell on what he said much at the time. It was passing conversation between parents waiting for their kids to finish practice. But now what he said has pushed its way into my thinking and I’ve decided what I think of it.

It’s genius!

It’s not genius because of the details. It’s genius because of the idea behind it. You’ve got your kid playing soccer. He’s playing with other kids. They’re having fun. And there’s a shared treat involved in it. There’s no pressure. No standings. No screaming parents on the sidelines looking for results. Just kids goofing off in the park and having popsicles. That sounds like fun, right? And that’s the genius. Kids will do anything as long as it’s fun. Once it stops being fun, kids are going to lose interest.

So that’s my revelation. The more fun it is, the more likely kids are going to stick with it. The longer they stick with it, the better they will become. And here’s the virtuous cycle in all this… the better they become, the more fun they have. See what we did there? Coaching genius from the mouth of a parent who had two young boys on the field that night. And guess what… both of them were really top-notch players. I can’t help but think that their father’s approach had helped them along the way.

So what does it take to create good soccer players? Does it take fancy facilities? High-level expert coaching? Playing at the top club? Nah. What does it take to create good soccer players? Just a ball and some popsicles.
    You should be taking them to the park anyway. My experience says games at the park last all of 10 minutes at the young ages. The other 90% is goofing off and being kids. Unless you plan on yelling play soccer or no pop for you. Forcing them to play only soccer at the park is not fun, but I wish you luck. Let your kid pick the sport they like.

Comment

You should re-name this thread to, " IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN". Once again, nobody cares.

Comment

Done deal? Done? Was it done when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Comment

Done deal? Done? Was it done when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?
          Pearl Harbor?

Comment

Pearl Harbor?
            He's on a roll.

Comment

New revolt starting over on EL side now. The PH DOC has made a wonderful impression over here, and our DOC needs to re-focus!

Comment

New revolt starting over on EL side now. The PH DOC has made a wonderful impression over here, and our DOC needs to re-focus!
                You mean the soon to be "Administrative DOC" of the new East Harbor... or Palm Lake... or BK's Universal Soccer Domination Group... Actually, now that the Rapids are out of the picture, what would a merged club be called?

Comment

You mean the soon to be "Administrative DOC" of the new East Harbor... or Palm Lake... or BK's Universal Soccer Domination Group... Actually, now that the Rapids are out of the picture, what would a merged club be called?
                  West Tampa Futball or ***!!!!

Comment

Club Name

BK's Puppets,

Comment

BK's Puppets,
                      How About the PH Resumes

Comment

If they do merge get your kids out when you can. They will have so many issues that it will be nothing but serious problems. Run to other clubs without all the problems this will have

Comment

Well said...

Comment

If they do merge get your kids out when you can. They will have so many issues that it will be nothing but serious problems. Run to other clubs without all the problems this will have
                            What kind of problems do you expect them to have if they merge? Also, I have not personally experienced or heard from ANYONE that there is a soccer club anywhere in our area without any problems.

Comment

What kind of problems do you expect them to have if they merge? Also, I have not personally experienced or heard from ANYONE that there is a soccer club anywhere in our area without any problems.

You have a thread for U13 Girls B team that states they want to stay as they are. The point of merging is getting a bigger player pool, which would mean changes to current teams. If the mind set is ok merge but do not change my team is prevalent, that would mean lots of unhappy people and a perception of failure.

Why merge unless changes happen?

Comment

Another parent worried about their son or daughter making a 1st team in a more competitive tryout.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X